Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Check out my subwoofer install (pics inside)

18K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  mx_masta 
#1 ·
Following on from this:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-general/189366-check-out-my-door-trims-pics-inside.html

Just finished my subwoofer install today. It's been a long time coming and more work then I care to mention but here it is.

Passenger side (remember we drive on the correct side of road here in OZ) Bruched Stainless handle for access to spare.

Drivers side: boring but it is a good fit. :)

Front view of the BASS MAKER. I know it's a cheap brand and the logo is slightly askew compared to the mounting screws, but IT PUMPS.

I have a couple of things left to do like fitting a couple of longer handles to protect the cone (I hate grills) and refitting the carpet to the back of the seats.

So what do you guys think? :tup: or :tdown: Yes, whoring myself out for Karma!:angel:

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
Thanks Radinov. Good to know someone likes it.

I'm still not 100% happy with it though, perfectionism sucks!

#5 ·
nice and clean, looks good, does it perform well in that position?

#6 · (Edited)
nice and clean, looks good, does it perform well in that position?
Yep, more than loud enough for me. Though I am by no means an SPL freak.
I like solid tight bass and good extension to go along with clear yet mellow trebble.

P.S. thanks for the K biscuit, appreciated.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks zlyricist,

The rear of the enclosure is fibreglass, using the car as the mold as shown here. Fark I hate that stuff!

The rest of it is wood and a little bit of foam filler to get the contours.
Here you can also see the braces inside. I just kept tapping on the fibreglass to find the areas that needed them.

To finish I give it a hit with some spray putty to get rid of some of the imperfections.
And it's all covered with the same vinyl that I used on the doors.

I might go back and recover the enclosure after going over it with some body filler. Just to get the contours smoother.

#9 ·
this sounds stupid but i would love to do this as well. Mine is generally in the way and i would love to fiber glass it. I have never done this but how do you make a mold for your fiberglass.

I see you taped up the area to conform to but did you just take like styrofoam and shape it to make it. I'm aware fiberglassing isn't easy but i would really like to know an easy way for this mod. Its a 12" sub and i would like to make something for the amp as well.

It looks truley great though, i'm about to design a floorboard for my trunk as well. There's nothing under the carpet so not only does stuff sit unevenly on the spare but the carpet is dirty and rusty.

#10 · (Edited)
No you tape up the area that you want the enclosure to nestle in and that IS the mold.

You just spray on a bit or release media, I used silicone lube (not the best) and you just lay the resin and fibre straight on. Once you have about 4 layers or more done the whole thing can be popped / pulled out. As long as you dont have to drive the car for a few hours.

Then you have the back and sides and the wooden bottom of the enclosure sitting on a bench.
Just the top and front left to do in wood.

#12 ·
Thanks.

The amp is an old V-NET 2100. It is just mounted to the back of one of the seats for now.
I am still undecided as to where I will mount it permanently.

I would have make up a rack of some sort for it, but it's nothing special to look at.

#13 ·
hmm, thanks masta i might give this a try in a few weeks when it warms up a bit.

#15 ·
Thanks for the appreciation Steve.

Well in materials alone it ran me about $200 (AUS).
And though I have helped out friends with their car stereo installs over the years I am too busy now days to do much for anyone else.
(Marriage, kid + at least 45 hours work per week)
It's rare for me to get any time to do anything on my car even.

What with all the huge chain stores in the US that siht on the Aussie equivalents you could probably do it yourself for about $100 (US)

P.S are you really 51 thats got to be the record for active members.
Good to see you are still mad keen.

#16 ·
This is EXACTLY what I want to have done for the trunk of my car, all that wasted space, perfect for a 'glass enclosed sub. Kudos man, karma to you!

#17 ·
Yep, 51 in Jan, and I love these cars, what I am learning here, and the members here! Bunch of frickin kids! Just kidding. The guys wow me every day I am here with the stuff they come up with on these little cars. I have 5 of them now, three licensed and on the road, two for parts.

That Sub-Woofer install IS really nice, and I completely understand your response.

#18 ·
Very nice work. It appears that we think alike except i've been lazy. I'm in the process of doing my trunk almost the same way and have had plans to do the door panels like that for a longgg time now. I

Its nice to see someone else who has done it now, so i know what i'm up against. I took a look at your door panels thread. have you taken any more pictures of the insides of the door? interested in the mounting points and such.

#19 ·
Thanks Gabe17, great minds think alike.

With the pics of the inner door skins, I have a few more but not of the actual mounts.
If I get time this weekend I might pull 1 of the trims off.
Take some some pics and add them to my door trims thread.

I have been meaning to recover the passenger side anyway.
The pics in the thread are of my drivers side which I did second (second one is always better)

#20 · (Edited)
yeah because you know what your doing then and can improve on it lol. my trunk is a slow process since im a bit of a perfectionist myself. I'm doing a different layout since i have different plans. subs up against the back with this plexi window i had made from my other car, recessed hinges on the flooring covered with some subwoofer box carpet i picked up from crutchfield. Then my capacitor on the right with my battery installed in this plastic vented battery box i picked up so it'll be legal when i'm at the strip. I'm in the beginning stages so I'll have to remember to take pictures

#24 ·
from what i understand lower frequencies arent like higher frequencies in the direction or way that they travel..... that being said, is it easy to tell when listening to it that the sub woofer is mounted on the driver side of the vehicle?

#25 ·
Thanks for the bumpage guys.

No it's not on the drivers side since Australians drive on the correct side of the road.

Hehe no seriously I would always put the driver on the passenger side of the boot / truck.
So as to benefit form bass loading, which tells ud that the longest path to the listener has the least cancellation.

It is possible to get slightly higher SPL from mounting the driver facing the rear of the boot / trunk.
But that is less attractive to me because it is less practical (takes up more of the useable boot space)
and also because response is usually less linear that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.