Rolling and pulling quarters? - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-7-17, 21:19 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power: 0

Rolling and pulling quarters?

What is my best course of action here? I knew the crown vic wheels would poke out. But i didnt know i was going to bottom on the tires (205/55/16) in the rear at least havent tried fronts.

Think i would be able to roll/pull these quarters enough to dodge hitting the tire straight on?

Or should i not touch them and just replace the struts they are pretty bouncy idk what good stock struts should feel like on the rears of these cars
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170407_175404_1491616787279.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	9258  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-7-17, 22:25 Thread Starter

Here's another pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170407_175354_1491617990361.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	9266  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-10-17, 10:22

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Power: 5

Those stick out quite far.
Maybe if you replace all 4 rear arms and trailing links, upgrade the swaybar and link kits, run performance struts and stiffer springs and role the fenders you might avoid the tires hitting the quarters.
Given the work you are doing I will assume you are on a limited budget, the above list would improve handling done properly front, rear but cost a lot.

Options:
You could try some coil spring spacers similar to these:

Install them at the top of the rear springs and eliminate the softer travel of the spring, a 1" spacer would eliminate 1" of travel at all times.

You could buy some fender flares:

Line them, drill the mounting holes on the car, support them temporarily and mark the fenders and quarters below the mount edge, remove the flares and cut back the quarters and fenders (You may still want to roll the edge so it cant cut the tires if contact is ever made).
They come in all kinds of shapes and hideous designs and can be used to make your car look mentally challenged if done right.
The misguided tuner's (ricers) can take a perfect working car and modify it to have a horrible ride, ride on half the tire surface 50% less traction 50% more wear, spin, be dangerous in the rain, incapable of getting into some parking lots or going over any speed bumps...

You could find some 16" rims with the correct offset to run the 205-55/16 tires.
It would be less money and work to find rims that fit the car than it would be to modify the car to fit the rims.
-----------

You can make the paint job look a lot better, get a can of black bumper and trim spray paint, tape paper or garbage bags around the top and bottom of the plastic body trim all the way around the car and paint it black. Unless you paint these cars black it always looks wrong when that trim is painted the same color as the car, no mater how good the paint job, the only way to do it properly would be to remove all the trim and fill that gap flush with the body panels and doors and rework the bumpers which would probably make the car look weird.
It's like painting a car part, you can make it look good by taping all the bolts and only painting the part, or disassembling it and painting it. You can make it look bad by painting the bolts and fittings with the part.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-10-17, 10:46

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Add a little camber (a LITTLE, don't get all stancy with it) and you can easily roll the fenders enough to clear that if you're not afraid.

Source: Ran 16x8 +30 wrapped in 245/45-16 on my car just fine.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-10-17, 13:00 Thread Starter

I am not on a limited budget but that said i am not dumping money into this car either (270k miles and full of cancer)

The wheels/tires were 60$ from parts yard no budget for a different set.

Was mostly curious if anyone on here had rolled and pulled their fenders, i wanted to know how much give they have before buckling.

Fender flares are not an option i hate the look and i wont be lowering the car anymore due to montana dirt roads and crappy pavement upkeep lol.

Also paint job is not done, im battling crap weather so its kind of like do what i can when i can.

Here is another pic. From yesterday (the one sunny day in the last

Its by no means a show car and i don't want it to be one. I'm trying to build a fun weekend beater for under a 1000$ total. Right now I'm at 800$
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170409_194021_1491847114177.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	9282  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-10-17, 13:01 Thread Starter

Concealer what would be my best course of action for adding camber ( understood on the little bit) ive never had a car with negative camber i hate the stance look and i prefer to keep the tread on my tires haha
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-10-17, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgetbluedude View Post
Concealer what would be my best course of action for adding camber ( understood on the little bit) ive never had a car with negative camber i hate the stance look and i prefer to keep the tread on my tires haha
Camber is not a bad thing, it's required if you want your car to handle well, and camber alone does not cause noticeably accelerated wear unless in extreme situations.

Personally i was running about 3 degrees negative up front, 2-2.5 degrees negative in rear.

Camber bolts or camber plates easiest option assuming stock stuff otherwise.

You can roll/poll your fenders pretty far on these cars before they buckle. Thick sheetmetal, especially in the rear. Hammer it out with a sledge, clean it up with a roller. Front, avoid sledge, roller only.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5857.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	9290  

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-10-17, 14:44 Thread Starter

That rear looks like it came out pretty far thanks!! the gap i need to cover is probably only that much. The wheels are 16x7 +20 when i jump on the rear end the quarter hits the tire and deflects it maybe 1/4". If i could get the panel pulled out maybe 1/2" it would probably clear. I just didn't want to go trying to roll it without knowing how the panels react. I know s14's are pretty fragile even small pulls will put a big arse dent in the side.

Not afraid of camber at all i just have never done suspension work and i hate all the slammed cambered out crap cars.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-10-17, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgetbluedude View Post
That rear looks like it came out pretty far thanks!! the gap i need to cover is probably only that much. The wheels are 16x7 +20 when i jump on the rear end the quarter hits the tire and deflects it maybe 1/4". If i could get the panel pulled out maybe 1/2" it would probably clear. I just didn't want to go trying to roll it without knowing how the panels react. I know s14's are pretty fragile even small pulls will put a big arse dent in the side.

Not afraid of camber at all i just have never done suspension work and i hate all the slammed cambered out crap cars.
My wheel/tire setup easily sat a full inch or more farther out than yours is, and i ran my car quite low. I think i pulled the rear out almost 2", front probably nearly the same. Before i crushed my car i was gearing up to fit some 0 offset 17x10s wrapped in 255/40-17s under "stock" panels. Easily doable with a couple hours of quality time with a jammin' stereo and a roller in the garage.

— Jeremy Clarkson
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-10-17, 17:57 Thread Starter

Awesome thanks man! That's what i was hoping for! I've still got to finish hand polishing these wheels before they go on. But i will post up some pics once they are on and metal rolled. Also in the midst of a rust-oleum paint job ive got another week or so till i can buff/polish. I'll put up a full new member post once Ive got it all buttoned up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page