Getting down to business, first plan of attack was the exhaust housing. Keep in mind that this is all done by hand:
First removing the big stuff, casting flaws and impurities by debrurring. ^
Quite a tedious task with rotary hand tools, various drills, and without an air compressor for a my die grinder.
Big casting flaws like this one can be quite the pain to guys like me. First and only reason, I'm anal and want to get rid of stuff like that.
NOW, it's lookin a little better heh? HEH? lolNote that I started blending the wastegate housing.
I didn't go crazy with the wastegate hole. It was meant to clean it up with a slight port and polish and a taper to the backside. This should help with a smooth boost transition.
Here you can see I started blending the wastegate hole as well as smoothing out the rough deburring. This isn't exactly easy with cast iron and takes alot of time to do correctly.
1) So you don't ruin what you started and take steps backwards
2) Because cast iron doesn't like to be toyed with and will kill your attachments in a hurry if you push them. This gets expensive in a hot minute.
Note that it's starting to look alot smoother.^
Final steps before 80, 150, 220, 400, 600, 1200, media blasting, then finally 2000 grit are used.
Exhaust discharge received the same treatment. ^
Both pictures un -finished^.