Engine shuts down out of corners :-S - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General > 1G MX6 Forced Induction
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-20-07, 22:59   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Engine shuts down out of corners :-S

So today i went to my first motorkana event. Was awesome fun, however... every time i accelerated out of the first corner the engine cuts outs. The boost guage drops to 0psi (no vaccum and no boost) and the revs drop. If i clutch the revs drop and the engine stalls. It took 3 chicanes of coasting before power comes back in by which time i've reached the other end of the course and next 180degree corner the same deal. I thought at first it was to do with the boost controller cos i'd had troubles at the drags a while back. So i initially screwed the boost controller completely off. Still happened so another dude there recommended hardening the BOV, so i screwed that down...which did nothing either.

I dont think that its a boosting issue because it cuts out as soon as you jump on the gas out of a corner. I've got more track time booked in 3 weeks so i need to get this sorted out asap.

It's not a boost issue because i full boosted 1,2,3 and 4 gears on the highway coming home with no problems.

Its only cornering. The guys who came in the car for a lap didnt seem to think it was a fuel starving problem because the engine doesn't splutter its like i'm just not accelerating.

So any help or advise would be appreciated.

I've tried replacing all plugs with those Bosch 4 prong ones, fuel filter and all new leads.
CHRI5O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-21-07, 22:23   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 5

sounds liek either boost cut or u got fuel issues.!
fuel pump, fuel pressure and fuel tank level.
Saddest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-21-07, 23:34   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 1021 Power: 5

If it's only after corners then its the fuel tank, try more gas, check the tank for dents, if its bein replaced during the cars life it could be a jobber... and have no return holes on the left and right side of the chamber (box) surrounding the pump, you might have to cut some so the fuel can return to the center of the tank quicker.

I've experienced it at the end of the 1/4 mille after the sharp left back to the pit lane when runing 3 bars or less of gas (digi gauge) the engine doesnt sputter it just has no power then after a bit it comes back, the first time it happened I thought "great I blew my engine".

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
Mazda Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-22-07, 7:43   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 42 Power: 5

yep ive been there done that. I remeber my first autocross meet with my first 89PGT half a tank of gas and every hard turn she would cut out. For some reason the tanks just needs to be 3/4's or full in order for it not to cut out. That was my expirance though

1989 Probe GT, PARTS
1992 PGT, 2.5 Turbo Back, Southbend Cluth, Short Shifter, Probinator Chip & LTB, MBC, 93 PGT Springs, 64k, MINT
2002 Chevy Blazer 2 Door, 4x4, 31 inch tires.
1stGenTurbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-22-07, 7:48   #5 (permalink)

Didnt mazda put these things through their paces when they were testing these cars!!! Maybe they should start employing a few of us to find the little bugs like this!!! I mean who wouldnt accept a job of thrashing around yet to be release cars... and getting paid for it!!! Hell i'd do it for free!!!

What do fuel pressure regulators do? Rising rate regulators or what ever they're called??? Is there some sort of gauge that i can hook up to get a reading of the amount of fuel the engine is getting? (without spending the money on one of them air/fuel mixture ones by autometre?
Old 1-22-07, 12:08   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRI5O View Post
Didnt mazda put these things through their paces when they were testing these cars!!! Maybe they should start employing a few of us to find the little bugs like this!!! I mean who wouldnt accept a job of thrashing around yet to be release cars... and getting paid for it!!! Hell i'd do it for free!!!

What do fuel pressure regulators do? Rising rate regulators or what ever they're called??? Is there some sort of gauge that i can hook up to get a reading of the amount of fuel the engine is getting? (without spending the money on one of them air/fuel mixture ones by autometre?
FPR: it restricts or increases the fuel return making it possible to adjust the pressure at the fuel rail. (this will not solve the problem)

Gauge that tells you the amount of fuel the engine is getting: Fuel pressure gauge, the cheap ones are mechanical, the fuel get plumbed right to the gauge, and the gauge should not be installed in the car, on the edge of the hood (in front of the steering wheel). (this will not solve the problem)

Air/Fuel gauges, they will give you a rough readout of the amount of fuel thats still left in the burned exaust after the turbo. (this will not solve the problem)

You dont need a gauge to tell you when this happens, the cars lack of power lets you know when it's happening. These gauges serve a purpose just wont help with your problem.

Possible sollutions: Modifie the tank so the fuel returns to the pump quickly after corners.
Add a second fuel pump to the tank or pull the filter off the pump and add a short piece of fuel hose, T it off and run two little pickup filters .
Run an inline fuel pump and filter, then make sure the pick-up in the tank is in a spot that cant run dry.
Extrem and cheap (not the best way but would work), Take a rubber mallot and put a dent on both sides of the tank bottom making it so the gas has no where to go but the center.-This would give you innacurate fuel gauge reading when the tank is low, make the tank hold less gas and run dry quickly when the tank is low. (I had a tank with a few dents in it, was like that when I got it, looked like someone ran over a couple soccer balls. It ran dry quick!.)

There are surrely more sollutions, search the web.

BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
Old 1-22-07, 17:26   #7 (permalink)

Cheers pal, i'll be looking into this weekend. I'll let you know how i go!
Old 1-23-07, 14:58   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 76 Power: 5

Thumbs up The Cure

fuel pump for sure...if it´s OEM is going bad...turning right for sure...

I even think is in the FAQ´s, It´s a common thing with this pumps...I didnt beleived it until it happenned to me, I changed it and never happened again. so pop culture was right.

Last edited by David Figueredo; 1-23-07 at 15:36..

Black on black, new AAS!! Autometer vac/boost & shift lite (5.8 pill),GARRETT T3 .48 exh /.56 comp, 12 psi. average baby!!!, 2 1/2" s.s.downpipe, exhaust & muffler -no catalizer-, K&N filter, No A/C, no P/S, Walbro 190 fuel pump, est.at 230whp / 280wtq!!!
David Figueredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-23-07, 15:11   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 393 Power: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRI5O View Post
So today i went to my first motorkana event. Was awesome fun, however... every time i accelerated out of the first corner the engine cuts outs. The boost guage drops to 0psi (no vaccum and no boost) and the revs drop. If i clutch the revs drop and the engine stalls. It took 3 chicanes of coasting before power comes back in by which time i've reached the other end of the course and next 180degree corner the same deal. I thought at first it was to do with the boost controller cos i'd had troubles at the drags a while back. So i initially screwed the boost controller completely off. Still happened so another dude there recommended hardening the BOV, so i screwed that down...which did nothing either.

I dont think that its a boosting issue because it cuts out as soon as you jump on the gas out of a corner. I've got more track time booked in 3 weeks so i need to get this sorted out asap.

It's not a boost issue because i full boosted 1,2,3 and 4 gears on the highway coming home with no problems.

Its only cornering. The guys who came in the car for a lap didnt seem to think it was a fuel starving problem because the engine doesn't splutter its like i'm just not accelerating.

So any help or advise would be appreciated.

I've tried replacing all plugs with those Bosch 4 prong ones, fuel filter and all new leads.

Stalling around turns is classic symptom of a failing fuel pump.

Bosch plugs suck. Get the factory NGKs.

~Chris

2006 Mazdaspeed6 6-spd 274/280 stock.
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
-Isaac Asimov
imagoonmx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-23-07, 23:36   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 609 Power: 5

Mine's done this forever... perhaps I should be looking into a new pump too? Only happens at about 1/4 tank.

If I gave my MX6 as much attention as I gave my Fiero, I'd be around here far more often!
carcenomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-24-07, 0:40   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcenomy View Post
Mine's done this forever... perhaps I should be looking into a new pump too? Only happens at about 1/4 tank.
If it only happens at 1/4 tank or lower and only after a hard corner then it's probably just the gas moving around in your tank, If it doesnt happen whit more gas in the tank then it's not the pump.
If it happened six months ago but the cars bein fine ever since, then it's probably not the pump.
In my experience a pump thats breaking down, fails in corners and in staight aways.

It was 2005 when I experienced this, It was on a new sending unit that I found on a probe at the wreckers, the pump and tank where installed a few months before the car got hit, I ran that pump t'ill late last summer when I upgraded to a Walboro 255 wich was in a car I bought. As long as I kept the car above 3bars of gas on the digi gauge it wouldnt bog after sharp turns.

With the Walboro 255 it is more prone to bog after sharp turns when the fuel is low.
Again this only happens after one or more 45 degree turns, with low gas and usualy in second gear, or at a low enough speed to swing the car when turning and only if I floor it afterwards, it's the car jerking at the end of the corner that causes the gas to pull to one side of the tank.

Old 1-24-07, 4:37   #12 (permalink)

Okay so this morning i got up a little earlier with the intensions of sorting out this problem...

did what's basically a 270degree turn with the fuel level right down (fuel light was on) and sure enough it cut out...

Went down the road, filled her all the way up, and did the corner even harder this time. Nothing happened! :-D

She hit boost, wheels spun and in no time i was hard under breaks for the traffic lights :-D

I'll have to give it a few more runs though to make sure its better before my next track day!

Cheers for your help guys.
I'll be back if she starts playing up again!
Old 1-24-07, 7:10   #13 (permalink)

Is your car a 4WS?

I'd say the crazy 4WS tank doesn't help low-fuel rapid corner cutting out

If I gave my MX6 as much attention as I gave my Fiero, I'd be around here far more often!
Old 1-24-07, 10:29   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcenomy View Post
Is your car a 4WS?

I'd say the crazy 4WS tank doesn't help low-fuel rapid corner cutting out
Probably why the 4WS has 2 pumps in the tank.

Old 1-24-07, 20:04   #15 (permalink)

The two pump thing... how are they laid out? I'm imagining one sits on one side and is the feed to the engine, the other pumps from the other side over to the main pump?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement