Turbo Project Help - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General > 1G MX6 Forced Induction
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2-13-11, 4:57   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Turbo Project Help

Hi guys, I have a 89 323 with a FE in it, I have a standard turbo and manifold I'm going to put on, but I may be getting a T3/T4 and after doing some checking I've noticed that my manifold and the 2.2 are different. I found this:

but after measuring my flange its ~2.8"x2.8" *sigh* I really liked the offset this give to help clear the turbo. Any one has a measurement for the 2.2 flange?

this is what i have at the moment
vectra_soundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2-13-11, 6:59   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 435 Power: 5

The adaptor you are looking at there is for a MHI TD05.

Here is a drawing of the TD05 flange (not my drawing)

The stock RHB5 turbo flange bolt pattern on your FE-8V is 55mm x 55mm with a ~45mm diameter inlet hole.

Anyway all of that is besides the point, do not run a T3/4 turbo on your engine.
It is way too much turbo for the engine and the car will probably be slower overall.
That is unless you can actually get a compressor map for the turbo and confirm thats it suits the engine.
Most of the china T3/4 turbo's are based on the old T04E compressor wheel, the smallest of which will only start to come on at about 4000rpm.

Then there's the fact that your stock oil drain will no longer work as the turbo will be hung lower than the drain port in the block.
So you will have to weld a bung to your sump and redo your oil drain hose.
Thats not such a biggie but something you may not have considered (and it sounds a lot easier than it is to have a good non leaking welded drain bung)

And then you will also have to sort out a new turbine outlet pipe.
Depending on the actual turbo you are getting this may mean removing you air conditioning.

In the end there are a few well known bolt on upgrades that will probably suit you better.
Check out the VF12 link in my sig' below for one example.

Last edited by mx_masta; 2-13-11 at 7:12..

VF12 - VJ11 hybrid http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-for...ic-inside.html 5 1/4" VDO splits in custom door trims http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-gen...cs-inside.html, 12" sub in custom boot/trunk http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-app...cs-inside.html 2.5" cat back, 18"x12"x3" FMIC.
mx_masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-13-11, 7:42   #3 (permalink)

every thing on the car thus far is custom so mounting the turbo shouldn't be a big problem, just that I had the manifold already aint didnt want to change it.

as for the T3T4 its a garrett with a .5 hot side so i should be good, and the car is megasquirted also.

a/c is already out
Old 2-13-11, 7:48   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 57 Power: 5

i have a jgs hyrbid that id be willing to let go for pretty cheap..it will bold up to your manifold and its a 50mm if i remember correctly...oil cooled only too.

1991 626 GT w/ tkt 50mm turbo
2011 Hyundai Genesis 320hp @15psi
Pickles6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-13-11, 7:52   #5 (permalink)

btw I've read your article and here in Barbados a machine shop would probly take until 2014 to get that done for me, and we have no where here that does turbo balancing
Old 2-13-11, 7:58   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles6 View Post
i have a jgs hyrbid that id be willing to let go for pretty cheap..it will bold up to your manifold and its a 50mm if i remember correctly...oil cooled only too.
any photos of it?
Old 2-13-11, 8:56   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectra_soundz View Post
every thing on the car thus far is custom so mounting the turbo shouldn't be a big problem, just that I had the manifold already aint didnt want to change it.

as for the T3T4 its a garrett with a .5 hot side so i should be good, and the car is megasquirted also.

a/c is already out
Well that doesn't make a huge amount of difference. A real Garrett T3/T4 still uses a T04 compressor wheel it just a newer design like a T04Z.
These are better for sure and will spool a little better due to their friendlier surge line but they're still way to much turbo for a SOHC 2 litre 8 valve engine.

And that small turbine side will only cause your engine to valve bounce earlier.
Killing your high rpm power and defeating the purpose of fitting such a large compressor.

Oh wait you have megasquirt, that will make any turbo work!
I've got a T88 on my lawnmower, runs great thanks to the 'squirt.

Last edited by mx_masta; 2-13-11 at 9:05..

VF12 - VJ11 hybrid http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-for...ic-inside.html 5 1/4" VDO splits in custom door trims http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-gen...cs-inside.html, 12" sub in custom boot/trunk http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-app...cs-inside.html 2.5" cat back, 18"x12"x3" FMIC.
Old 2-13-11, 8:58   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 187 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles6 View Post
Lol dude, just put it on your car! I gave you everything you needed except wastegate.

I want to see what you can do with it!

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-13-11, 10:12   #9 (permalink)

so, let me under stand this, we have a 1600 SOHC civic running a t3t4 and spools it with ease, a 1300 siftwith t3t4 spooling easy aslo, but my 2.0 sohc cant get it done.............
Old 2-13-11, 12:38   #10 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 2843 Power: 0

Wait I'm confused - which engine do you have?
SixSick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-13-11, 13:08   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 187 Power: 5

Quote:
so, let me under stand this, we have a 1600 SOHC civic running a t3t4 and spools it with ease, a 1300 siftwith t3t4 spooling easy aslo, but my 2.0 sohc cant get it done.............
It'll spool it. The thing to worry about is how much rev range you'll have left once you hit full boost.

Honestly, i don't think it'll be THAT much of a problem.

Assuming you've got the FE 8v, it's pretty much a truck motor.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-13-11, 14:47   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
It'll spool it. The thing to worry about is how much rev range you'll have left once you hit full boost.

Honestly, i don't think it'll be THAT much of a problem.

Assuming you've got the FE 8v, it's pretty much a truck motor.
the FE 8V is correct, the reason i wanted the T3 is because as it is, the car will spin the tires (16") easily in 1st from a roll, with better tires i just want gradual boost in the higher rpms.
Old 2-13-11, 19:43   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, those are both cars with engines of much more useable rev range.
The FE-8V does not have that much scope for higher rpm, probably about 7000rpm max.

Old 2-13-11, 19:50   #14 (permalink)

Total: 557 Power: 5

Its slightly better than the F2 thanks to solid tappets and a shorter stroke.....

In saying that I dont bother taking mine over 6500. I used to take my NA F6 to 7k but it had a shorter stroke again, and my care factor about that engine was pretty low.

84 626 sedan FE SOHC turbo, FE3 on hold, Toyota E58 conversion under way - slowly!
84 626 sedan RF diesel, a slug but you get 6.0L/100km (39MPG)
07 Mazda 6 MZR-CD 6sp manual - new DD
chief tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-13-11, 21:56   #15 (permalink)
  Total: 125 Power: 5

I would take the fe to 7k if it needed to, and I had the ability to...same stroke as an fe dohc...what trim is the t3/t04? My f2 can spool a 57 trim compressor wheel pretty well, the fe shouldn't be too far behind...
matt89glturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement