My 'blow through' VAF setup - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 6-17-16, 17:28 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Power: 5

My 'blow through' VAF setup

Just posting this for people with questions, or for those just curious on the subject of running the VAF post-turbo on stock ECU.

I was curious about it after I turbo swapped my LX, so I came home from work and Frankensteined my charge pipe collection into a work-in-progress blow through setup.

With 300 miles on the turbo swap, and just now converting to 'blow-through' I can say I'm impressed with the change. Cruise A/F is more consistent and stable, spool up A/F is more stable, and boosting is smoother. No leaks, no pops, nothing on the VAF has blown up yet.

-Turbo swap was done overnight with spare parts and items I bought off members here, disregard the zip ties and temporary crap please-

Mod list can be found here, if interested:
https://mazda626.net/topic/38446-lee...nd-body-build/

P.S.
Mx_masta, I love your VF12/VJ11 hybrid. It finally has a home, and it's very happy.

91' MX-6 LX(T)@20Psi
Fast stuff: VF12/VJ11 Hybrid/Dual Valve Springs/Fidanza FW/Maas O2 Housing/Mjspiess 2.5 Downpipe/2.5 Side Exit/Walbro 225/Bosh DRI Injectors/E3 Plugs/NGK Wires/B2 Coil/ATX TB
Stiff stuff:GC Coilovers/ADDCO F+R/AWR Links/Poly Endlinks/Dutch FSTB/RSTB/Front SubFrame Brace/One-Of-A-Kind Custom "HondaKiller" Tie-Bar

Last edited by Leev; 6-17-16 at 17:43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 7-6-16, 13:15

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Power: 3

Garage
I like as I have a DX that I've converted to turbo including the electronics. I have an Innovate SCG-1 wideband with boost control and my AF is all over with some serious backfiring on deceleration any time I bump my FPR up. Have to see about doing this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 7-6-16, 15:44

Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Leev when I ran the VAF on the pressure side and blew it up with a 4th gear boost spike, the bottom plate bowed and the plastic cover blew open, the car wouldn't idle due to the extra air under vacuum.
With the lid off you can tune around any air coming in past the door through the top using the adjustment screw but if it could blow the cap off then boost pressure is exiting the top of the VAF, you might want to glue a lid on there or make a removable cover.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 7-8-16, 2:02 Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Thank you, noted. I did have a spike to 16Psi, it seems the wastegate isn't doing it's job at all, and I'll have to go external at some point. But I have more important plans than that. For now, the VAF is holding. I actually didn't expect it to hold boost, I had plans to seal it. But it seems to be okay for now. But I don't boost very offten.

For now, the untouched OEM clutch it toast so I'll be sorting that out before I focus on boost and all that. I don't boost much really, the turbo swap was more for fun and getting my parts out of a box. Mostly use it for overtaking or if some loud obnoxious honda tries to overtake me. And yellow lights.

91' MX-6 LX(T)@20Psi
Fast stuff: VF12/VJ11 Hybrid/Dual Valve Springs/Fidanza FW/Maas O2 Housing/Mjspiess 2.5 Downpipe/2.5 Side Exit/Walbro 225/Bosh DRI Injectors/E3 Plugs/NGK Wires/B2 Coil/ATX TB
Stiff stuff:GC Coilovers/ADDCO F+R/AWR Links/Poly Endlinks/Dutch FSTB/RSTB/Front SubFrame Brace/One-Of-A-Kind Custom "HondaKiller" Tie-Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page