New car - Page 16 - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5-24-10, 18:42   #226 (permalink)
  Total: 216 Power: 5

LOL!!! haha

DarkMx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-1-12, 4:06   #227 (permalink)

Total: 1710 Power: 5

oh yeah...the previous lump

soon....very soon.

Gavin
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-12, 11:15   #228 (permalink)
  Total: 58 Power: 5

just finished the thread, your car has been immobile since your engine failure 2 years ago?

1990 Ford Probe GT http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298880/1 (SOLD)
89 Ford Probe GT (SOLD), 89 Mazda MX6 (Scrapped), 90/91 Mazda MX5 (SOLD/Parted), 90 Mazda MX5 1.6 Turbo (SOLD), 91 Nissan GTIR (SOLD), Current Cars: 99 Mazda Protege (Current DD), 90 Mazda MX5 (FE3T swap in progress), 88 Mazda MX6 (hopefully new DD as of Dec 6th 2012)
PGTF2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-12, 5:57   #229 (permalink)

Total: 524 Power: 5

Gavin, good to see you got a motor back into it.

Teh Telstar can NEVAH lose!
SABBAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-4-12, 14:44   #230 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTF2T View Post
just finished the thread, your car has been immobile since your engine failure 2 years ago?
Thats correct. Its been on jack stands for that whole time. Ive been getting around in a variety of vehicles and biding my time waiting for a decent deal on a replacement engine....actually, for a while I was having issue finding ANY F2Ts in the area, much less a good deal. Finally this engine popped up a few months ago from a local fellow...who also turns out to be a member on the board here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABBAi View Post
Gavin, good to see you got a motor back into it.
My first attempt at an engine rebuild. I should be attempting the first startup today, hopefully all goes well and it actually starts........pray for me .

Just a few details to get out of the way first though......the wiring harnesses are brittle from heat and age so Im rewiring/repairing issues as I see them... I ran out of M10x1.5 17mm hex bolts for the exhaust downpipe...theres a small leak in the transmission case that looks to be from the drain plug, have to sort that out....etc, etc. Its always the niggly details that get you in the end.

Gavin
Old 12-4-12, 17:31   #231 (permalink)
  Total: 58 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
My first attempt at an engine rebuild. I should be attempting the first startup today, hopefully all goes well and it actually starts........pray for me .

Gavin
Good luck man, I sold my probe 4 years ago, and my 89pgt project car 2 years ago. I'm now driving a protege while I build my miata, and im bored of it so in two days I am going to see a 88 mx6GT original owner, org paint. so ive been reading everyones build threads until I can go see it lol.

Great work on the car!

1990 Ford Probe GT http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298880/1 (SOLD)
89 Ford Probe GT (SOLD), 89 Mazda MX6 (Scrapped), 90/91 Mazda MX5 (SOLD/Parted), 90 Mazda MX5 1.6 Turbo (SOLD), 91 Nissan GTIR (SOLD), Current Cars: 99 Mazda Protege (Current DD), 90 Mazda MX5 (FE3T swap in progress), 88 Mazda MX6 (hopefully new DD as of Dec 6th 2012)
PGTF2T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 16:56   #232 (permalink)

Its the little things that get you in the end....

Getting the engine in the car should have been the hardest part, and in truth it probably was, but there have a been a spate of small issues that have cropped up that keep delaying the first startup.

Some of that was my doing though...I decided to use the intake manifold from the 91GT (its using a sheet metal intake currently). Aside from a missing vacuum port I had to add, the plugs for the 91 injectors needed to be wired into the 88s engine harness.....hmm, some of the wiring had gotten brittle with age/underhood heat. So I decided to split the harness and replaced any wiring/connectors that was old or brittle. Ok...thats done.

Theres a leak coming from the transmission drainplug. It had been there for a while and I had thought it to be a worn out crush washer...but that wasnt the case. I couldnt figure out where this tiny leak was coming from (and then the engine blew so I didnt have to worry about that any more ). With the engine back in and a restart imminent, I wanted to get to the bottom of this leak. Well,it turned out to be a small hairline crack at the mouth of the drain hole (huh??). It would only make itself visible when the drainplug was torqued down. With the plug torqued down tight, it would slightly flex the aluminum material around the drain hole, spreading it out ever so slightly....only then would the crack appear. Taking the plug out (and pressure off the hole) and cleaning the area would have the crack seal back on itself and be invisible. Grrr....had to come up with a solution for that. I took the drainplug and drilled a hole down the center and tapped it for a 12x1.5mm screw. With a bit of sealant and a bit of epoxy, the stock drainplug now becomes a threaded sleeve and takes the repeated clamping loads that the transmission case would have seen from the constant screw/unscrewing and torquing of the drainplug.

There had been gas in the car for the two years of inactivity and I figured after all this time, the tank would need to be drained. Good news! Fuel stabilizer treatment works (I had put some "stabil" in the tank when I put it into cold storage)....bad news...the rheostat that registers the position of the float (and thus sends a signal for the fuel level) was quite dead.

The wiper arm that slides against the coiled wires of the rheostat(varying the resistance in the coil) had cut through the wires themselves. Time to find a functional rheostat.....sigh.

Ok.......rewired the engine harness, transmission leak is sorted, replacement rheostat should mean that the gas gauge should now work.....time for a well charged battery for the first test fire

......and the positive battery connector cracks in half when I clamp it to the battery terminal................really? (no wait, seriously...it cracks in half?.....are you kidding me? ugh ). Fine then!....whats another delay? Source a new connector (went with a steel/copper type similar to the stock connectors...the one that cracked was an aftermarket lead connector).

ok....FINALLY....all the minor issues are taken care of. Lets (hope) see if it starts.......lots of cranking ensues, but it doesnt fire up. Did I botch the timing? Maybe I got the injector wiring wrong somehow? Maybe the HLAs are so collapsed that the valves are having issues completely sealing the cylinders?......maybe I built the engine wrong

Pull plugs...they are all wet with fuel. Hmm...no spark? Maybe a weak spark? (do the e-coils even go bad?). I have the spare coil and igniter from the 91GT. The igniter is a no-go since it uses a different plug from the 88-89s , so I swap the coil by itself, reassemble and.....

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 @10:35PM PST............."vroom"

(ok..theres still an oil leak at turbo oil feed line and lifter tap to contend with...but whatever. It started)

Gavin
Old 12-14-12, 3:55   #233 (permalink)

Total: 557 Power: 5

You got there in the end..thats the main thing.

Most of that [shizzle] you were facing could have happened at anytime.
I say to myself that I don't expect parts of a 20 year old car to keep working unless I have already fixed them at some point.

The other trick, I don't try and fix them all at once. Each to their own.

I have left fuel in cars for around 12 months, it will still start the car ok, I usually drive it to the nearest fuel station and add some fresh stuff, never needed to use additives.

84 626 sedan FE SOHC turbo, FE3 on hold, Toyota E58 conversion under way - slowly!
84 626 sedan RF diesel, a slug but you get 6.0L/100km (39MPG)
07 Mazda 6 MZR-CD 6sp manual - new DD
chief tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 11:01   #234 (permalink)

Total: 1951 Power: 6

sweet baby bilstein, I thought Red was the forgotten step child

88 626 4WS Turbo Noble White
97 626 LX V6 Timberline Mica
Email me for a turbo rebuild!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 14:19   #235 (permalink)

No not quite....but I have to have a talk with my mechanic (that guy has issues)

Been chasing an issue with the clutch. Thought it was hydraulic, looks to be mechanical. Gotta pull the transmission. <sigh> At least I fixed the HLA rat-a-tat. Engine sounds smooth, thats nice at least. One thing at a time.

Gavin
Old 12-19-12, 14:52   #236 (permalink)
  Total: 480 Power: 5

Quote:
Did you ever finishing bolting up that alternator? looks like your missing the entire upper adjuster arm.

~Patrick~

http://www.pmx626.com/ Your all in one Probe, MX-6, 626 Search engine.
monoxidechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 21:11   #237 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxidechild View Post
Did you ever finishing bolting up that alternator? looks like your missing the entire upper adjuster arm.
Yep, all taken care of. I had to get the rest of the adjuster/mount off the old engine which was still in the car. I waited till the engines were ready to be swapped to pull the old adjuster (and a couple other misc items) off the dead engine. Its a whole lot easier to get to stuff when the engine is OUT of the engine bay...who woulda thunk it?

Quote:
No not quite....but I have to have a talk with my mechanic (that guy has issues)

Been chasing an issue with the clutch. Thought it was hydraulic, looks to be mechanical. Gotta pull the transmission. <sigh>
......or, I could do something simpler, like bleed the clutch line a few more times and purge all the remaining air in the system (seriously, my mechanic is a dunce ).

Oil change #1...done. Lets see how it drives tomorrow

Gavin
Old 12-20-12, 1:41   #238 (permalink)

Quote:
seriously, my mechanic is a dunce

Gavin
Yeah that's why I usually suggest anyone with half a clue have a crack at fixing things themselves.

Even if mechanics are half reasonable, they're all under time pressure, which as owner fixers we aren't......this is a game changer.

84 626 sedan FE SOHC turbo, FE3 on hold, Toyota E58 conversion under way - slowly!
Old 12-20-12, 8:57   #239 (permalink)

Total: 1951 Power: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief tool View Post
Yeah that's why I usually suggest anyone with half a clue have a crack at fixing things themselves.

Even if mechanics are half reasonable, they're all under time pressure, which as owner fixers we aren't......this is a game changer.
I believe Gavin is poking fun at himself, as he's the mechanic

88 626 4WS Turbo Noble White
97 626 LX V6 Timberline Mica
Email me for a turbo rebuild!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-12, 15:30   #240 (permalink)

I clearly missed the subtlety..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement