New car - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7-25-05, 3:08   #1 (permalink)

Total: 1710 Power: 5

New car

Well I picked up another GT this weekend. Its a 1988 japanese built GT. Red with grey interior, No ABS, 2WS, 140,000miles $500.

Much thanks to Chunchoy14 and M(y)x6gr8RiDe for the heads up on the car. They mentioned that there was a fellow in San Francisco who had too many cars and was giving up his "beater" daily driven car. For frame of reference this is one of his old cars. His new car is a 3rd gen with an LS1 swap and he has another LS1 to be installed into something..he says a 2nd gen RX7 maybe (yeah I know...sux to be him).

Id actually been looking for a truck to be a daily driver and tow vehicle for the white car. The white car is getting to the point of not very streetworthy. The bushings, $hock$, spherical bearings, etc are subject to wear and tear by driving the car on the streets. Id like to minimize the cars exposure to that (and to the "skilled" drivers on the highways here) and this is a great interim way to semi-retire the white car a bit faster.

Here it is in all its glory. I call it "Red" (ok not very imaginative but I like the simplicity)

Like the faded paint? I do. It gives the car "character".

gratuitous interior shot

Thats a steering wheel from a 2nd gen RX7 and an uncracked dash.

The car came with some interesting wheels.

These are a set of 2nd gen RX7 wheels. I believe from the Turbo2 GTU? package(there were a lot of special packages for the 2nd gen RX7). they are 16x7" and are incredibly light for their size. The casting is very thin on these wheels.

Theres also an aluminum spare tire jack and aluminum wheeled spare tire from a 3rd gen RX7.

Along with all of this goodness comes...

-A flat tire(that is also bald as Mr Clean for good measure)
-3 different manufacturers of tires(toyo, yokohama, Dunlop) All discontinued and threatening to crumble to dust at any moment.
-2 different sizes of tires (205/55/16, 205/50/16)
-a shifter that has about 8" of movement....in any direction.....in gear(if you can figure out which gear you are in)
-rusty sunroof....well rusty underside in general(living right next to the ocean can be a killer)
-missing switchgear (fog lamps, hazzards)
-broken drivers seat (the height adjustment mechanism)
-exhaust manifold missing manifold studs...like ALL of them, none, nada, zip, zilch, gone, bye-bye.
-air filter from the paleolithic era...complete with dirt from the paleolithic era to modern times.(no joke..there was a small plant/weed growing out of the filth in the filter)
-axles are_toast_. Completely split boots, grease has been gone for months? years?, rust in the bearings(did I mention the rust?). And of course the drivers side refuses to budge from the transmission.

That engine bay is after 4 cans of engine degreaser. Yeah...it needs a bit of TLC.

Did I mention it was $500? AND it passed california smog tesing recently?

Picked the car up saturday, changed one axle in SF, drove the car home and immediately put it up on stands for the real work on Sunday. Got the turbo out and Ill be helacoiling the head, doing a lot of cleaning, replaceing whatever can be replaced, then the axles, wires, plugs, radiator, water pump, etc, etc, etc.

Itll be a fun project car.

EDIT: price

Gavin

Last edited by gavin; 8-2-06 at 19:45..
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7-25-05, 9:15   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 391 Power: 5

good buy! Now you can have a functuning roof again

06 Evolution IX SSL - 417HP / 418TQ on E-85 and Stock Turbo 99 Eclipse GSX
92 Galant VR-4- 802/1000 - Evo3 16g
90 Eclipse GSX HKS' Former Promo Car - SOLD 05 WRX STi - SOLD
89 MX6 GT 4WS SOLD 89 PGT R.I.P
93 PGT5
/93 PGT5-SOLD/89 PGT-R.I.P. /96 PGT5 R.I.P.

KiNg MaRtY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-05, 9:21   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 12 Power: 5

looks like you got your work cut out there fixing it up. Still for $800 US who wouldn't have picked it up. Has a few things needed to be replaced but their not major and deffinently fixable. Should be good to see the car when she's all spruced up

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/696423

My cardomain, new trans in, will take pics soon and update

"I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming."
Matex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-05, 10:50   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 678 Power: 5

I like it!!!! Nice buy for $800.....

I like the wheels a lot. I think they car looks great for the year. A red car in Cali isnt going to last. Haha
That steering wheel looks great!!! I think Im going to be getting one.

BuhBye Vanessa; Helllllooo Aalina *Licks Lips*
mx6GT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-05, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 134 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
Like the faded paint? I do. It gives the car "character".
No clear coat on that red. I bet if you cut it and wax it up it'll have a blood-red showroom shine that'll knock your socks off in the twilight hours. Just avoid cutting the paint on the spoiler or grill (which appears to be missing anyway).

No worries though, if anyone can bring her back to her former glory, it's you. Nice find.

Last edited by 2Rusty; 7-25-05 at 12:55..
2Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-05, 18:55   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 1512 Power: 5

Looks like a nice project. I think it's a good plan to keep your white baby off the streets as much as possible. After my accident the other weekend (which totalled my 91 GT) I don't trust any of the other "skilled" drivers out on the road.
magik8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-05, 20:01   #7 (permalink)

Ive already got the engine bay looking a whole lot better. Simple green, brake parts cleaner and a toothbrush. Ive resigned myself to the knowledge that this will take a while (1-3 weeks?).

Theres a lot of little things to be done, but at this point with the turbo and intake pipes out of the way, its as good a time as any to change the old for the new. Coolant hoses, checking the wiring and cleaning the terminals of corrosion, etc. Not glamorous, but its the little things that will get you in the end.

Besides, Im starting to get an idea of what to do with this car when it gets in better health. (Hint...G-stock)

Im looking at the car as a performance upgrade for the white car in a way. With a regular ride I can dedicate more time to the white car without worry of having to get it back together in time for transportation. When I had my dodge caravan(I loved that minivan) I had the car on jackstands for 5 months straight working on it....or not.

2nd car...Best performance mod you can get.

2Rusty...."cut" the paint? What do you mean by this. Im not that familiar with detailing and the like.

Gavin
Old 7-26-05, 15:15   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 134 Power: 5

Since there is no clearcoat, you can remove or cut the oxidized top layer of paint and reveal a fresh layer underneath. The Meguire's 3 - step system works well.

Of course, you will be removing paint by doing this so you don't want to do it all the time. It's a temporary thing but lasts a good while. I do it about once a year in the spring. And judging from the pictures it will look like you hacked up your neighbor and threw him in the trunk by the time your done.

Just remember to go easy on plastic pieces like the spoiler and grill and anywhere else the paint may be getting thin. It looks like that hood will give up a good deal of paint so I'd go easy there too.
2Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-26-05, 15:28   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 1110 Power: 5

Damn, very nice find!

-Tyler

tyler886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-27-05, 3:30   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 21 Power: 5

i want one.......i can't find a gt anywhere in FL at any price....and even if i did i don't have any money....very nice find indeed
Ryu_biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-27-05, 11:57   #11 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 4 Power: 0

should be a nice car once it is completed
SIKSIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-27-05, 13:00   #12 (permalink)

Well I have sent an order out for parts for the car. Water pump, radiator, plugs/wires/distributor/rotor, thermostat, axles, belts, axle seals, shifter bushings and valve cover gasket should be arriving soon.

Ill also have to do some flushes of the various fluids. The coolant was drained(rust colored water) and will be getting repeated flushes until the water runs clear. The oil has been drained and is pending a flush. The transmission fluid has been changed to ATF. That should clean things up a bit in the transmission. Maybe an upper head cleaning as well.

Ill have to make a run to the junkyards to get some switchgear thats missing from the car and to replace some of the rusty bits in the engine bay.

This weekend should be good for the car.

Gavin
Old 7-28-05, 1:59   #13 (permalink)
  Total: 12 Power: 5

good thear your really into it and not letting it sit around with the notion of "I'll do it later"

Got anymore pics of the car as you go through the cleaning processes and how much it changes ???

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/696423

My cardomain, new trans in, will take pics soon and update

"I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming."
Matex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-28-05, 2:01   #14 (permalink)
  Total: 383 Power: 5

gavin you were just jealous from my car, and had to go out there and buy a red GT as well tisk tisk tisk.

2011 Mazdaspeed 3, Velocity Red, kinda the MX6 replacment
Mazda_MX6_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-28-05, 2:26   #15 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 2843 Power: 0

gavin- can you get your money back for that radiator?/how much did you pay for it? I have a brand new never been used GT radiator with lifetime warranty that I need to get rid of. I paid $200 for a new one from Autozone because I needed one right away. I now have have two, one in my car and one that has been warranteed. Autozone wouldn't take the original because it came from Kragen and there wasn't a Kragen nearby that had one. I needed to get the car done and out of MSGT-R's garage.

Anyways, I was going to try to sell it for like $125 obo/$100
SixSick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement