How to by-pass the neutral safety switch????? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9-16-06, 11:28   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 43 Power: 5

How to by-pass the neutral safety switch?????

My car isin't starting, the battery is good, the coil, and all, tryed in P and N(its and automatic mx-6 1988)not starting but I do hear electric clicking, before, after playing with the transmission thru gears it will finally start randomnly in P or N, so I tought it should be the inhibitor switch or neutral safety switch(or whaterver u call that, so searched from the transmission to that switch and found the connector under the battery of the car, opened it and it was rusty, greasy, worn, smoked, there is even one of the metal poles on the connector that is broken, what can I do to bypass that switch since I don't want to pay the 250$ Napa car pieces price, heard many how transferred to manual transmission from automatic did bypass it? how? wich cables should I connect??? help please my car is stuck 3 km of home since wednesday
europeanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9-16-06, 14:31   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 383 Power: 5

just find the wire that is power, and find the wire that is ground then hook them up together, just be carful after that, the car will start in any gear position, so if u put it in drive the car will still start.

2011 Mazdaspeed 3, Velocity Red, kinda the MX6 replacment
Mazda_MX6_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-16-06, 20:39   #3 (permalink)
Jon
Tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a phone call when you are unable to speak?

My protege has sticky nuetral switch. I put it in park and smack it pretty good and it starts.

Try that.
Old 9-17-06, 14:47   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 43 Power: 5

it's good, my car starts again, I didn't read anything other than the electrical diagram in the hanes book, found that the neutral switch is just there to be there, so took out the connectors, took the one on the other side(not the one from the switch, cut it, hooked the wires together, put something good to protect it from water, put back my battery and magic

my dad came with me before and we tried to look at everything we could do, he told me that he's got a car since 20years now so he's the boss , we stood 3 hours around the car without doind nothing, we came home and I found my hanes book, cheked the diagrams and got back to my car with my bike cuz my dad tought it was loosing time to go try anything, I told hime Ima get back in 30minutes with my bike in the back of the car he is impressed, its been 1 month since I got my car and I just saved 250$ on a neutral switch, plus the garagist work(69$/h) + the transport of the car to the garage = $$$$ that are still in my pocket
europeanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-17-06, 15:14   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 1512 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by europeanboy
i found that the neutral switch is just there to be there
The neutral safety switch is there for a very good reason. It's so you can crank the starter when the car is in park. If you crank the starter with the car in park, the car will move forward instantly while you are cranking. It's a good way to drive through the wall of your garage.
magik8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-17-06, 15:21   #6 (permalink)
Jon
Tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a phone call when you are unable to speak?

Magik, Unfortantly, these cars are going to all end up the junkyard fairly soon.

What Euroboy just did was the common hack and slash job I used to see on older cars, now its sad we see it on our beloved 1G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement