Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Check out my door trims (pics inside)

16K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  mx_masta 
#1 ·
They are 5 1/4" VDO splits. Custom door builds and sail panels done by me.

And no the vinyl isn't blue more of a steel grey.

What you guys think?:)

Whole door.

Contoured speaker pod.

Sail panel for tweeter (could use recovering, tis a bit puckered)

See less See more
#4 ·
It def' was a pain to get smooth. A bit of heat from the missus' hair drier helped. The colour doesn't look as bright as that IRL and actually goes well with the OEM trim.

Thanks for the comments guys - no k biscuit tho?;)

#11 ·
Yeah sounds a whole lot better.:cool:
I am really pleased with the result and I am only running them off the head unit at the moment. I have an amp sitting in the garage, an old Vnet 2100 but I will probably use that for my sub.
I'm going to tuck that into the corner of the boot (trunk) so I don't lose to much space. I'll post more on that when I get around to it. Gotta clean up the mess in the garage left from the doors (promised the wife:( )
Thanks for the good words guys glad to know it's appreciated.

#12 ·
if you werent in australia, id offer you some money to make me some, can you post pictures of the door assembly taken apart, or is that too much to ask?

ive been wanting to throw 6" speakers in my door for a long time, and ive been looking for a really shallow mount speaker to clear the window and accessories. just havent got around to it yet.....

#15 ·
This is the only good pic I have of it. Sorry about the size of it (in a hurry)

As you can see I used a bracket to secure the window runner to the rebar before cutting room for the speaker.
Sounds rough doesn't it, but there is just no other way of doing it other than having your speakers sit out 2". After that I screwed wooden spacer blocks onto the inner door skin to deaden the vibrations and provide a secure mounting the speakers. Will have to take a pic of this to explain better.

In the end there is no vibration that I can hear and I have fussy ears.
Distortion comes in when the rears start to break up so theres another thing I have to do. Its all good.

#16 · (Edited)
ive been thinking of doing something like this, just moved over more to the left
Those would have been heaps easier but I didn't want to cut up anything I couldn't replace. Just get a factory trim insert and swap em out.

#22 ·
Geez guys thanks for the bump!

I got them at Strathfield in Cannington. (Same as Brisbane Car Stereo's)
I believe they are now discontinued because I haven't seen them at any VDO Dayton dealers lately.

They were only about $130 and they are made in Denmark, birthplace of VIFA and DYNOAUDIO.

#23 · (Edited)
A quick update fo ya!

Well if all the ad's have finished loading I've got a quick update.

Consisting of a change in colour from medium grey / steel blue to the much nicer black.

Drivers side, yes some people in the world do drive on the correct side of the road!

Passengers side, and yes replacing that handle is on my list of things to do.

And one of the sail panels.

The trim panels were stripped of their old vinyl which had pulled up in some of the corners and was a bish to keep clean.
Stripped of any old glue back to the bare metal and recovered starting from the corner of the armrest area so that there was no stretching in that area.

The sail panels were remade altogether, previously they were just wooden pieces in place of the original plastic ones.
The passenger side one was always falling down and dangling from the tweeter wire.
Nothing I did would keep it there, double sided poster tape and hook and loop just didn't work.
So I screwed the wood piece onto the original plastic pieces, filled the gaps with body filler and spent a lot of time smooting they out, filling pinholes, smoothing, etc, etc.
They were then painted with VHT wrinkle black to give a look close to OEM plastics.

Thanks for looking.

#25 ·
Good idea I'll keep that in mind.

Though I don't generally like painting plastic interior pieces and even worse is that those are rubberised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.