1991 MX6 Transmission question - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9-16-11, 17:08   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

1991 MX6 Transmission question

My 1991 MX6 Auto trans. out of nowhere decided to not engage in reverse or any of the drive gears - seriously just out of nowhere. Park still works - and the cable to the shifter is fine. BUT, it feels as if theres nothing attached to it on the trans. side. Very easy to move back and forth as it turns the shaft at the NSS. Did something shear off/come disengaged below the NSS? Fluid levels are fine, car starts and runs as normal, just no movement. Any quick diagnostic info. you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Donny - Huntington Beach, Ca
Devoid169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9-17-11, 13:28   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 260 Power: 5

Have you tried shifting the car into neutral to see if it will roll?

1988 MX-6 GT 5 speed White/ Burgundy interior
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
2003 Dodge Caravan 3.3 V6
2014 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Speed
SinCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-19-11, 3:16   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Yah, it rolls in all but park. Seems as though theres no restance to the shifter cable assy now. Seriously, this happened once at my gf's house to her. She thought it was out of gas so she called AAA. She probably was also running on fumes so when the AAA driver got there, he put gas in, had to fumble with the shifter/gas pedal according to her. But then it started and went into gear and she drove 75 miles to get here. Parked it and now it won't engage the gears. Lights on dash say the correct gear as the NSS gear indicator is fine. It starts and runs great. ATF levels are fine. One recent change was a radiator replacement which also meant running the oil cooler lines thru new radiator and back to the trans. I didn't check for packing debris in the radiator oil line area. Ugh - gonna read up some more from the workshop manual. Thx!!
Devoid169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-17-13, 4:29   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 3

not sure if its still valid but i got this problem once and it was the transmission oil pump that decided not to come on because when i took off the hoses going to the oil cooler there was no oil squirting out. I reved and reved placing it into gears one at a time and then it engaged and worked then died suddenly
krisjoseph_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement