Slave/Clutch Issue - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-12, 9:44   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Slave/Clutch Issue

Replaced clutch slave and master one year ago. Yes, I used cheap advance parts because I was unemployed (and will be again next week) The GT has 210,000 miles and now the clutch has stopped working again. The fluid was black and after changing the fluid and bleeding, it's still not working and the fluid is black again. My questions are, can the slave be bad and not be leaking?
Also, is the rubber line still available from the dealer or aftermarket? When I was bleeding it last night (with a mityvac) it didn't seem to flow fluid like it should...
If I have to replace everything who has good parts anymore (at a reasonable price) Someone mentioned buying a slave from Mazda, but haven't those parts been sitting on the shelf for 20 plus years?

Two more hours of this play, somebody shoot me!
Abraham Lincoln

http://www.timewarpvmc.org/
slime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-12, 12:18   #2 (permalink)

Total: 135 Power: 5

Rock Auto, great prices and u get a magnet with every order. I order many things from there, and i think someone just posted a new 5% discount code that u can use.

Corksport or RR racing( i think) offer stainless steel clutch hoses

95LS-ZE ATX The redheaded step child
97LS: Sold, she'll be missed
03 WRB WRX: the daily, Stage 2 Clark tune
95 LS-ZE MTX,LSD, and MAF on its way
Scatman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 15:40   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. Unless they have something that will interchange, Corksport doesn't have anything for the 1st gen MX-6, but I'll check.

Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-10-12, 16:20   #4 (permalink)

Total: 135 Power: 5

Sorry i was on my phone when i sent that and didnt see the forum section.
Neither of those websites have clutch lines.

95LS-ZE ATX The redheaded step child
97LS: Sold, she'll be missed
03 WRB WRX: the daily, Stage 2 Clark tune
95 LS-ZE MTX,LSD, and MAF on its way
Scatman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 10:54   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 480 Power: 5

the clutch line on your 1st gen is the same as the clutch line on any other FWD mazda made in the last 30 years. You could order one for a mazda6, and it will fit.

just order one for a 2nd gen mx6 and you will be fine.

~Patrick~

http://www.pmx626.com/ Your all in one Probe, MX-6, 626 Search engine.
monoxidechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 14:47   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxidechild View Post
the clutch line on your 1st gen is the same as the clutch line on any other FWD mazda made in the last 30 years. You could order one for a mazda6, and it will fit.

just order one for a 2nd gen mx6 and you will be fine.
Are you talking about the rubber hose? I replaced the slave, but still nothing..
Hose and the master next..

Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-11-12, 23:42   #7 (permalink)

yes, the hose. I was talking about what you can order as a stainless steel replacement.

~Patrick~

Old 11-12-12, 17:02   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 38 Power: 5

I replaced probably 8 or 9 slaves in a period of about 3 years, and two master cylinders. In short time the fluid would always turn black. I used "good" quality Raybestos parts, cheap offshore parts (they were absolutely identical), tried a different brand of brake fluid... they still failed predictably.

Then I changed the black rubber flex line, and it hasn't failed for 2 years - the longest time yet. I also changed from cheap brake fluid to Valvoline. Probably they are the same, but I suspected that the cheap stuff was in part to blame.

You have to get the system absolutely clean - so blow compressed air through the metal lines to blow out all the old brake fluid and abrasive particles.

I became very good at driving without a clutch. It makes stop and go traffic challenging.
X6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 11:44   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 138 Power: 5

If you have a fresh slave and freshly-black fluid, your master is toast.

1989 MX-6 GT. ORIGINAL OWNER!! 315K on the original clutch, K&N drop-in, Gillis boost valve, Tokico Blues, OEM RSTB, Energy Suspension poly sway bar bushings, end links, tie rod end boots, AWR poly motor mounts (only the rear one now, and that will be back to a stocker soon - I got tired of the vibration and noise), OEM rear lower tie bar, PGT rear sway bar. Techna-Fit stainless brake lines, AWR trailing links, new OEM lateral links.
mlp-mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 13:45   #10 (permalink)

^
Or the rubber line is degraded, and causing the fluid to turn black from the rubber breaking down internally. Ive had this happen to me personally.

~Patrick~

Old 7-13-13, 22:36   #11 (permalink)

Wow..8 months out of a new slave cylinder, master cylinder and new hose..WTF!
The original one lasted 20 years and now I've replaced 2 each in 18 months! this batch 2 months out of warranty..So, where should a person purchase master and slave cylinders from that aren't junk..

Abraham Lincoln

Old 7-14-13, 20:52   #12 (permalink)

One of the things that seemed to make my cylinder last longer (after replacing so many) was changing the brand of brake fluid I used. I believe I went with Valvoline. Prior to that I was using Prestone and some generic stuff. You may find a good quality fluid helps and ensure it's not the wrong DOT.
Old 6-12-14, 14:50   #13 (permalink)

Well, I used NAPA parts this last time and replaced the rubber line with a new Mazda unit. Now, 8 months later another one has gone out. I guess I'll just keep feeding it cheap ones because nothing seems to make a difference. I have another advance part because it was available, but haven't installed it yet because of work and some other issues. Been driving my truck because it had been sitting for almost a year. Just wanted to update the data base. About one every 8 months...

Abraham Lincoln

Old 6-12-14, 14:52   #14 (permalink)

Also, Corksport said they could probably match up a braided clutch line if they had an old one to go by. I received there reply after I had already ordered one from Mazda, so I never checked on it after that..

Abraham Lincoln

Old 6-12-14, 21:36   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slime View Post
Well, I used NAPA parts this last time and replaced the rubber line with a new Mazda unit. Now, 8 months later another one has gone out. I guess I'll just keep feeding it cheap ones because nothing seems to make a difference. I have another advance part because it was available, but haven't installed it yet because of work and some other issues. Been driving my truck because it had been sitting for almost a year. Just wanted to update the data base. About one every 8 months...

Did you flush out all the fluid in the master cylinder and blow out all the fluid in the other 2 lines? I also replaced a slave every 8 months, for a total of about 6 cylinders, until I replaced the master, slave, rubber line and blew out all the old fluid with compressed air. After that, I've been good for about 3 years. (knock on wood) Any contaminated fluid anywhere in the system will cause the slave to fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement