Odd Starting Issue - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-12, 12:37 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

Odd Starting Issue

I have a strange and frustrating problem that started yesterday. I removed the plenum and throttle body to fix a coolant leak from the hose on the bottom of the throttle body. I got that fixed easily enough. But when I started the thing up after I got it all back together, the engine revs really HI and then dies. I checked everything I worked on and found nothing wrong visually. The only thing I knew to do at that point was to take it all back apart and then put it back together again making 100% sure I was doing everything right. I fear that it will just do the same HI revving thing again and then die. The only thing I can think of is something TPS/Throttle Body related that I knocked out whack somehow. I can't really see how that could happen though, but I am out of ideas after that. I did think about changing over to another throttle body I have to see if the problem is there.

Thanks for any help.

John

Yes my car is ugly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-12, 21:48

Power: 4

Here's my opinion:

The IAC is very finicky and even then, can just stop working for no reason. If there are pockets of air, or low coolant, it will start to hassle you.

Did you top the coolant back off when you were done, and burp the coolant? I mean REALLY burp it.

Like.. really, really burp it.

Other than that, make sure the 3 sensor connectors are plugged in correctly (TPS, IAC, Idle switch((name?)).

Also, a really bad vacuum leak will make it rev high and die. It would have to be pretty obvious though.

89' 626 GT ATX to MTX
Fast stuff: P-ECU/T-Bird Hybrid/Dual valve springs/Fidanza FW/Maas O2 housing/Mjspiess 2.5 Downpipe/side exit/Walbro 190/Bosh DRI injectors/NGK plugs/wires/MSD B2 coil/ATX TB
Stiff stuff: GC coilovers/Addco front sway/Addco rear sway/AWR trailing links/Energy endlinks/FSTB/RSTB/UR 4pt subframe bar/'Hondakiller' Tie bar/SS lines
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-12, 15:19 Thread Starter

Power: 5

Thanks Leev for your suggestion. I did lose a little coolant when I pulled the throttle body hose off. I would bet though that it did not amount to more than a couple of shot glasses worth of it though. From reading some similar stories online, it sounds like I have a significant vacuum leak somewhere. It has to be in the vacuum nest behind the block or maybe around the throttle body. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Yes my car is ugly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda MX-6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page