Have you ever test-driven a newer car..... - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-19-13, 21:50   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 97 Power: 5

Have you ever test-driven a newer car.....

and realized that your ancient MX6 is better in almost every way? What do we have to spend to get a better car? I've driven NB Miatas that would get blown away by my 24 year old MX6. Now, my daughter's Protege ES does handle better but it would have to be a Mazdaspeed version to even think about keeping up with the MX at 10 psi.

So, a second question for you is: Which car(s) have you driven that you feel is superior to your MX?

89 MX6GT (Eibach, KYB, Magnaflow 2.25", Konig, Glowshift triple, chipped), see
http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/MX6...teLite16s.html
01 Corvette Z51 Coupe (some mods)
08 MX-5 PRHT (MS intake, Progress, Koni, RB)
automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-19-13, 23:36   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

Re: Have you ever test-driven a newer car.....

Test drove an NB miata. And it felt much better than my mx6. I have a 2nd Gen with lots of suspension goodies. But the miata felt so planted for being totally stock. I just love the feel of the miatas
whiteboysmx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-20-13, 1:52   #3 (permalink)

Total: 39 Power: 4

I was trying to pace a '12 miata the other night... kept up but im pretty sure the old man was toying with me...

I am starting to get a laundry list of stuff done to my car. Does that make it fast? No! Does that mean i spent too much money on a toy? Maybe. Do i have fun every time i jump in my car and drive? Hell yes.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/garage/1005
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-oth...ld-thread.html
friendsofdonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-20-13, 2:19   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 61 Power: 5

I love the look of the 05-09 Mazda3 hatchbacks and they do come in a 6sp turbo version. I've never driven one but if i wanted to drop 12k-16k on another "used" car, i might not hesitate to choose that one.

The Mazda5 hatchbacks are nice looking too.

A little murdered out of course, tinted glass, black wheels etc, they're pretty slammin.

I believe in reincarnation... just the other day i saw an old lady turn into a driveway.
el seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-20-13, 2:38   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 4

I've always had my eyes on a Mazda speed 6... those are sweet cars.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Justin L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-20-13, 3:40   #6 (permalink)

Total: 557 Power: 5

Test drove an MPS3 a few years back....sure, it was good don't get me wrong, it goes about its performance quietly which would keep the g/f happy....but I just couldn't see how it was that many thousands of $ better...

Plus I enjoy working on cars, to some extent.... buying something new, I thought i'd be bored and I'd have to go though all the BS about new car warranties and waiting for them to expire before making changes. Not that many warranties are all that great considering how many hoops you have to jump through in order for the warranty to be 'honoured'

In any case how long before your 'new' car in your mind is no longer new.... 6months...one year, two years...
after 30 years the car becomes timeless!

84 626 sedan FE SOHC turbo, FE3 on hold, Toyota E58 conversion under way.
84 626 sedan RF diesel, a slug but you get 6.0L/100km (39MPG)
85 626 sedan carb manual - For Sale.
07 Mazda 6 MZR-CD 6sp manual - new DD
chief tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-20-13, 7:56   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 3

The only good thing about newer cars is less road noise
Also decent air-cond haha (Mine isn't that bad but still, there is better)
The thing that I hate about new cars is the steering, brakes, and throttle control
All electric, and you can't get (IMHO) a good feel of what you're doing.
M626turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-20-13, 10:18   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 645 Power: 5

Test drove the mazdaspeed 3 to replace the probegt as a daily but i was not impress with the car, doesnt feel as fun as all my 1st gen .

1990 mx6lx 13.5@102.9 on 87shot
1989 white pgt 486whp 543wtq@29psi..dynoed 11-9-13
1991 probe gt 373whp at 24psi
1988 mx6gt 461whp @32psi
1990 mx6lx 348whp@ 18psi slipping clutch
ademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-20-13, 10:36   #9 (permalink)

Im actually buying a NB miata to daily around and of course its gonna get modded. But they don't feel much slower than a de mx6
Old 1-20-13, 14:32   #10 (permalink)

When it came to the NB Miata, it was the lack of torque that made me miss my MX, which has over 200 lbs-ft at fairly low rpm. Torque is addictive, but so is rotary engine high-rpm thrust. (I've owned 4 rotary Mazdas over the years.) My daughter's Protege ES steering is quicker and the suspension, perfect but beyond 25 MPH, there is far less torque compared to the MX.
The other thing to remember is that our MXs are lighter than a good majority of sporty cars on the road, today. The SR-S and BRZs are very close in weight and with such a low center of gravity, will undoubtedly handle better but hey, they cost neat $30K after taxes.
The upcoming Fiesta ST with 197 HP and good low rpm torque should offer good gas mileage and decent utility for $22k. Its gas mileage should be quite a bit higher than the MS3.

Last edited by automan; 1-20-13 at 14:37..

Old 1-20-13, 17:23   #11 (permalink)

Total: 524 Power: 5

My wife drives a BJII Astina SP20. It's light and nimble and loves being thrown around, but it is gutless. The seating is not that great and seems to sit very high off the floor.

I drove my mates MPS6 the other day. Wow, it's boring. It feels like it would be at home on the HWY, but it a bit crashy around town, yet soft enough not to get feed back through the wheel. The dual mass clutch and fly by wire throttle body makes it difficult to launch even with the 4wd and the cable shift feels notch and indirect.

The engine is smooth on light throttle, but becomes doughy on boost. Boost/power falls away at 5000rpm (similar to an F2T) but it feels completely flat.

On the other hand, with a retrofitted throttle cable and aftermarket management, these motors come alive. Especially with a 3076R on them...

Teh Telstar can NEVAH lose!
SABBAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-20-13, 19:37   #12 (permalink)

SABBAI,

How much does the Astina weigh and what is its gross HP? Frankly, I never heard of that car, but I'm sure there are quite a few over there that are unlike any over here.

Quote:
Test drove an MPS3 a few years back....sure, it was good don't get me wrong, it goes about its performance quietly which would keep the g/f happy....but I just couldn't see how it was that many thousands of $ better...

Plus I enjoy working on cars, to some extent.... buying something new, I thought i'd be bored and I'd have to go though all the BS about new car warranties and waiting for them to expire before making changes. Not that many warranties are all that great considering how many hoops you have to jump through in order for the warranty to be 'honoured'

In any case how long before your 'new' car in your mind is no longer new.... 6months...one year, two years...
after 30 years the car becomes timeless!
I agree but I think our MXs are already timeless!

Quote:
Im actually buying a NB miata to daily around and of course its gonna get modded. But they don't feel much slower than a de mx6
Is your MX6 turboed? If so, somethin aint right.

Quote:
I've always had my eyes on a Mazda speed 6... those are sweet cars.
However, I'll bet they weigh at least 400 lbs more than ours do.

Quote:
The only good thing about newer cars is less road noise
Also decent air-cond haha (Mine isn't that bad but still, there is better)
The thing that I hate about new cars is the steering, brakes, and throttle control
All electric, and you can't get (IMHO) a good feel of what you're doing.
True - I drove a Nissan Versa the other day and it was very quiet until you had to accelerate. Toyota/Lexus seem to infuse lots of sound deadening into their vehicles, although I don't think that's true of the Scion FR-S.

Quote:
I love the look of the 05-09 Mazda3 hatchbacks and they do come in a 6sp turbo version. I've never driven one but if i wanted to drop 12k-16k on another "used" car, i might not hesitate to choose that one.

The Mazda5 hatchbacks are nice looking too.

A little murdered out of course, tinted glass, black wheels etc, they're pretty slammin.
A Mazda 5? Do you have young kids?

Quote:
I was trying to pace a '12 miata the other night... kept up but im pretty sure the old man was toying with me...
If you have a boosted MX, then you could've toyed with the "old" man, instead. 0-60 for the NC is about 6.7 seconds - the same as our Lexus hybrid, heh heh.

Quote:
Test drove an NB miata. And it felt much better than my mx6. I have a 2nd Gen with lots of suspension goodies. But the miata felt so planted for being totally stock. I just love the feel of the miatas
They ARE about 250-300 lbs lighter; that makes them a bit more "flingable". I like the MS MX5 but have yet to drive one.

Old 1-21-13, 1:50   #13 (permalink)
  Total: 61 Power: 5

Whoops that was a typo - i meant the 6 in a wagon.

File:'06-'08 Mazda6 Wagon V6 (Byward Auto Classic).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If i want to drive sport coupe, i'll get in my mx6. Nope, no kids.

I believe in reincarnation... just the other day i saw an old lady turn into a driveway.
el seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-23-13, 5:03   #14 (permalink)

Total: 524 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan View Post
SABBAI,

How much does the Astina weigh and what is its gross HP? Frankly, I never heard of that car, but I'm sure there are quite a few over there that are unlike any over here.
Here you go

http://www.aaa.asn.au/roadtests/reports/445.pdf

Teh Telstar can NEVAH lose!
SABBAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-23-13, 10:58   #15 (permalink)

Haha I meant a klde mx6 stock vs. A NB miata. Not too much of a big difference in straighline acceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement