R&R ignition cylinder - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2-15-13, 13:51   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 61 Power: 5

R&R ignition cylinder

Need to pull one from my 89 and stuff it in the 88. I have keys for both cylinders. What would the process be to swap / salvage one for the other, and keep both of them working?

I'm assuming the wsm doesn't have this info lol. Thanks.

I believe in reincarnation... just the other day i saw an old lady turn into a driveway.
el seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2-15-13, 16:05   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 94 Power: 5

Swapping the ignition cylinders is a simple enough process. Are you looking to swap them out or are you rebuilding one?

To remove them you'll need to cut notches in the bolts as they are security bolts that lose their heads when you torque them down. A die grinder works great to cut a notch and then you can use a flathead screw driver to get them out. You'll obviously need to remove the column covers to do this. Unplug the harness from the back of the cylinder, unscrew the bolts and the cylinder comes right out. If you don't care about security (no one will see the bolts under the cover anyway) just reuse the bolts when putting the 'new' cylinder back in.

Currently driving: 98 GMC K1500
Project: 89/90 MX-6 GLX hybrid
chrmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-15-13, 23:42   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 97 Power: 5

You may also be able to use a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel.

SOLD: 89 MX6GT (Eibach, KYB, Magnaflow 2.25", Konig, Glowshift triple, chipped), see
http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/MX6...teLite16s.html
SOLD: 01 Corvette Z51 Coupe (some mods)
08 MX-5 PRHT (MS intake, Progress, Koni, RB)
2014 Mazda 3 GT 2.5L Auto Tech package
automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-16-13, 3:13   #4 (permalink)

Total: 557 Power: 5

I just use vice grips to loosen them and use pliers after that.

I have also drilled two small indents in the top and used one of those two prong security bits in the end of the driver.
You can also drill a hole in the top and use an ezy-out.

Its one of those things where it depends what tools you have as to to what's the easiest way.

84 626 sedan FE SOHC turbo, FE3 on hold, Toyota E58 conversion under way - slowly!
84 626 sedan RF diesel, a slug but you get 6.0L/100km (39MPG)
07 Mazda 6 MZR-CD 6sp manual - new DD
chief tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-16-13, 3:45   #5 (permalink)

I've got plenty of tooling, thankfully. I was wondering about any key-ways or the push-in style lockouts like most American cars have on their key cylinders.

Sounds pretty straight forward though, just a couple screws and they slide right out? I want to do this to eliminate the potential failure i'm having on the new car. I did some searching and chief tool's posts about cylinder failures has me thinking that's where my troubles are, probably. Then since the new car only has the valet key, i could swap door and trunk cylinders from the 89 and just have the true master key for all locks / ign on the newer car. Might sound like a bit of work, but not too much work to get the reliability i'm after.

I need to do some work on the 89 interior door areas anyway, one ext handle is snapped off and a window motor is clunking and stuttering like crap on the window upward motion. Ah, the joys of poorly lubricated stuff with these cars.

I believe in reincarnation... just the other day i saw an old lady turn into a driveway.
Old 2-16-13, 16:59   #6 (permalink)

Total: 557 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by el seven View Post
a window motor is clunking and stuttering like crap on the window upward motion. Ah, the joys of poorly lubricated stuff with these cars.
That one wont be fixed with lubrication. It sounds like the plastic gears are worn out. They could have worn out due to the glide strip having worn through on the window channel, which has increased the effort needed by the motor to slide the window glass up and down.

I spent a fair bit of time working on this problem and I don't think I was ever able to fix it completely as I was working with second hand parts. With new ones it might have been possible, I didn't have access to them.

In some ways I like my GC better as it uses a conventional window regulator with a motor which is all metal. The window channel is the conventional bailey channel, easier to fix and lasts much longer.

84 626 sedan FE SOHC turbo, FE3 on hold, Toyota E58 conversion under way - slowly!
84 626 sedan RF diesel, a slug but you get 6.0L/100km (39MPG)
07 Mazda 6 MZR-CD 6sp manual - new DD
chief tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-16-13, 19:21   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief tool View Post
That one wont be fixed with lubrication. It sounds like the plastic gears are worn out. They could have worn out due to the glide strip having worn through on the window channel, which has increased the effort needed by the motor to slide the window glass up and down.

I spent a fair bit of time working on this problem and I don't think I was ever able to fix it completely as I was working with second hand parts. With new ones it might have been possible, I didn't have access to them.
Understood completely - i have a motor and rail ready to throw at the issue.

It's not the end-all because if i cannot get it fixed i will just continue to manually assist the drivers' window up. I will already be inside the door replacing the ext handle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement