Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

CEL code 17

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  blackmx6 
#1 ·
just wondering how many of us have come across the infamous CEL code 17? and if so what has been the fix? not looking for advice just a poll of how many have experienced it and what have you found?

#2 ·
You may want to specify 88-89 code 17 since I think that is what you're aiming for.

I experienced it one a probe and an o2 sensor replacement seemed to fix it.
On another probe though i never found the cure. It was making my car run rich as hell and would usually go away for a few seconds if i let off the throttle really hard. That car is dead now, though when i swap another engine into it i pray that the code and richness is gone with it.

#3 ·
from my experience year doesn't matter. I've got a 91 gt and had it pop up when "cruising" and letting off the throttle the light would go out. there is very vague information on diagnosis in the wsm. I narrowed it down to the egr solenoid on the firewall. before you swap another engine into it you might want to check the egr vent and vacuum solenoids as one of those is probably dead.

#4 ·
What's the description of this code?

My 88 has had EGR code, EGI feedback (Something is wrong... somewhere!), and wastegate solenoid. (removed.)

The 90 has only ever thrown wastegate solenoid.

#5 ·
What's the description of this code?
I'm of the succinct impression that there isn't just one.

In my case, it was hard enough to find that once i found it i felt stupid. It was a suspiciously poor signal related connection (read; wiring) at / near the thermosensor housing. Specifically, the encapsulated thin single blade connector was getting random readings in the harness itself, and (i'm assuming) sending those on to the ECU, and then not, and repeat. Like liters post, it could be adjusted to "relax" the randomness by backing off the throttle during fwy cruising, and i had more issues with it in 5th gear / then 4th / 3rd and on down the line.

Repairing the loom in that area would be my suggestion and i have the necessary factory wiring to do it but, the car has other issues right now that are taking precedent at the moment so i can't say the cel 17 is gone just yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.