Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Soft Brakes

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  thzpcs 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone had some ideas on a problem I'm having with my 89 MX6 4WS with ABS. I have had a soft brake pedal for a while, replaced the master cylinder, flushed and bled the system (multiple times). The pedal will get firm but once the engine is started, it will go soft again? Would the ABS system have anything to do with this? Can it be bled?

#2 ·
On my 88 w/ ABS it seems normal to have a somewhat soft pedal. While i wouldn't call it exactly 'soft' it is softer than my 88 without ABS. I'd call it more 'medium firm' and i think it's normal for an ABS on these cars. I have driven / owned several GT non-ABS models in the 88-89 (1a gen) and they were all firmer than my abs 88.

I'm used to it, and the abs kicks butt for my needs so i leave it alone. Nothing like slamming as hard as you can on the pedal and the car stops perfectly. I've avoided some rear-endings a time or two...

#3 ·
You may want to check your vacuum hoses - make sure you're getting a good vacuum boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.