Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

No 1st Gens in the junkyards

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  SinCity 
#1 ·
I went out to the junkyards today to try to get a couple items and there were no 88-92 MX-6's or 626's in either junkyard that I go to. How are the pickings out in your area?

#4 ·
Well as of now I am looking for a good steering rack I could have rebuilt. Also been trying to hunt down a set of the rear aas but I have given up on that. I plan to just go with aftermarket struts. Also looking for the plate that goes between the Trans and the block.

If I think of anything else I will be sure to let you know

#5 ·
I am assuming for the GT trim. I have steering racks and transmission plates (5speed GT, maybe 1 or 2 auto GT's also). I have AAS struts (probably 40 of them) but no two rears (or fronts) seem to have the same dampening resistance when in the sport position and I push on them. I wouldn't bother hunting down 24-28 year old struts to run on the car, when the struts are actually in good shape sport is hard like a rock so you feel every bump but doesn't do much for handling (on stock springs) and soft is way to soft... If you blow one and can't find another then you have to ditch the AAS and get normal struts.

I hunted down 2 rear Tokico blues to run on my winter car, they don't make them anymore so it was almost a waist to buy them (no warantee and no purchasable replacement).

Get a set of 2nd gen STAGG struts on Ebay, They are about the same ride as Tokico blues and dirt cheap (what I run on the front), modify the rear to fit.

#7 ·
Yes it is for the GT trim and yea on the struts I was hoping they were made still but I am finding out the hard way they are not. I contacted kyb because I hear they are the manufacture of these struts but they won't even rebuild them... I'm probably just gonna go with some stock replacements. Where are you located? If I could buy a rack and have you ship it directly to my rebuilder that would be awesome. How much would buy one with shipping to the east coast?

#8 ·
I would want 60$ for the rack, I am in Quebec Canada, it's kind of hard to calculate shipping, where on the east coast?
How much is your re-builder charging?
Rock auto has 2 remans still available (with core charges/potential return).
There are also several manufactured (complete rack and pinions) for sale on Ebay starting at 99$ us + shipping (no core charge or core return) and up (be sure and read the adds, some used racks are selling for more then the remans).

30$ + shipping for a transmission plate.
Let me know if you still want a rack but you will probably get a better overall price and core unit from the above sources, mine are in good shape but we have long winters here and they use salt on the roads, even parts I pulled of cars 16years ago where rusty. (I have 3 or 4 racks stacked up that don't have any rust on them but the lines probably have some rust on them). Full disclosure, your choice.

You also have Mike's GT rack (auto and 5speed are the same) as an option.

#9 ·
I also seen that on rockauto that may be the way I go. My rebuilder is extremely reasonable. At first I asked him to find a core to rebuild and I'd give him my core but he dosent want the core because it's such an old car and he'll never sell it. I believe he said $75 r&r.

I am in Connecticut so I know about salty winters lol as far as the transmission plate it's good to know you have one. Probably won't be jumping on that one just yet because I'm not gonna be taking it apart anytime soon but really don't like the idea of it being open the way it is I have a feeling a rat will eventually climb in there and make a mess of my clutch.

#11 ·
I don't ever remember having to change the axle shaft carrier (If you mean the shaft that goes in the transmission and meets the passenger axle) or axles when swapping GT auto to 5speed, if the auto axles are the same as 5speed then so is the shaft transmission and axle side.

Yes I have many of these.

#13 ·
Which mount keeps breaking?
If I recall all three transmission mounts/brackets are different (if I recall) from GT 5speed to GT auto to N/A 5speed...
Rear transmission mounts -all 3 are different
Upper Transmission mounts -all 3 are different
Front transmission mount -N/A + GT 5speed use the same motor mount (Not sure about the transmission mount bracket it bolts to) Automatic mounts are different.

Rear 5speed GT mount(2piece):

Notice the the bracket is welded to the edge of the mount, it sits closest to the drivers wheel, this allows it to fit the larger GT transmission.

======================================================================================================

Rear auto GT mount:

======================================================================================================

Upper auto GT mount (Similar to the 5speedGT but sorter, wider and the offset bolt hole is higher then the GT 5speed):

Upper N/A 5speed mount (small bracket, flat base, offset mount bolt hole):

Beware Rockauto has the Westar EM8088 N/A 5speed transmission mount listed in the GT section listed as Standard transmission rear but it's not a GT standard transmission mount.

=======================================================================================================

Upper 5speed GT mount:

Front auto GT mount (notice the angle of the bottom or the offset between the center hole and bolts, it sits closer to the engine then the 5speed mount hole) :

=======================================================================================================

Front 5speed GT mount (rockauto list the same part numbers for both GT5speed and N/A5speed):

========================================================================================================

For the Rear mount the 5speed N/A mount is also 2 piece and looks like the GT mount but the arms are longer and the bracket is welded to the center of the mount to fit the smaller N/A transmission:

(This one is in the GT 5speed transmission section of Rock auto but the picture looks like an N/A 5speed mount but that could just be the way it's designed):

Look at the GT 5speed mount pictures, you can see how close the dip in the bracket between the two bolt holes is to the mount, the N/A dip sits farther from the mount, also in the last pic it looks like the bracket sits in the middle of the mount not the edge, but it could just be an N/A mount pic with a GT part number?

===================================================================================================================
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
===================================================================================================================

The other half of the mounts, the piece the long mount bolt goes to.
Rear lower, this bolts to the crossmember and that part is all the same (maybe not on the AWD N/A's sold abroad). 100%
Upper transmission mount, I am 99.9% sure this bracket is universal, the 4 M10 14mm bolts that mount it to the frame are always the same and I would say (because of the different distances to the bolt holes from the mount N/A,GT, GT auto) that the hole for the mount bolt is in the same location on all brackets.
Front transmission mount bracket, this one I cant remember but there is a chance the bracket for the N/A 5speed has a larger distance between the mount hole and the transmission bolt holes then the GT because it's a smaller transmission (n/a).

-I am going to say you have the right upper transmission mount, I don't think the auto or N/A 5speed would fit without stretching the engine and transmission.
-For the rear mount, after the upper transmission mount and engine mount are bolted the N/A 5speed mount would meet the transmission and not the edge, you would have to bind the mount towards the drivers wheel and the bolt holes would sit at an angle and line up with the diff housing and not the holes on the edge of the transmission. However if the 5speed N/A mount was installed first then it would bind the upped and engine mounts and be hard to position the front mount, if all three could be bolted up the front and rear mount would both force against each other.
-If you have a autoGT front mount it could push the transmission back onto the rear mount and put most of the torque and load on the upper and rear transmission mount.
-If the front bracket for an N/A 5speed is different then the GT and you where running that it would have the same effect as the auto front mount on the upper and rear mounts.

#14 ·
I'm gonna have to read this more thoroughly once I get home really wish the pics would come up but they don't on my phone. It is the rear mount that keeps breaking...if I recall correctly all the brackets/mounts were on the transmission. Thank you very much for writing that all up you are very helpful

#15 ·
I actually have / had good luck on finding a GT here and there. The last 2 yards i visited both had unmolested 89 GT's that were fresh (within 2 weeks) and no one had touched either of them. One was charcoal over maroon - the other white over blue - both mtx's.

The grey one was over a year ago i think, i took a lot of smalls and the crankcase was full of chocolate milk. 2xx,xxx on it.

The white one however, was just last month. I wandered into a yard i'd never been to (I was out of the area) because they showed online they had a recent 1987 4runner drop into their inventory so i was there checking that out. Lo and behold a fresh 89 GT and another 89 (LX) were there - untouched. I picked up A LOT of small parts from them both, the red LX had a key in the glove so i got a few locks too. The white GT had an Austrian mid-body kit that wasn't too hard to take off so i nabbed it. 89 Noble White, i'm betting. That one had 325,xxx on it but looked like it would fire right up. I do love finding the GD/GT's locally - or wherever - as they DO still show up.

A couple yards have searchable inventory, look into that before you cruise in.

#16 ·
I posted this thread and then forgot about it. My bad. But it looks like it turned into a good discussion though. Since posting I have brought home two more cars, a 1990 626 LX and a 1990 MX-6 GT with a manual transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.