oil cooler question - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-16, 10:47 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

oil cooler question

I had to loosen and turn my oil cooler under the oil filter to get access to the knock sensor and I was wondering if the cooler has a specific clocking when I retighten it? thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-16, 12:16

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Power: 5

The coolant fittings sit at the top of the cooler/ both up.
Torque is 29ft-lb.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-16, 19:04 Thread Starter

ok thanks next question ( I am putting two different part car engines together) I swapped heads but the valve train is super noisey... good oil pressure.....I see there is no lash adjustment so does that indicate that I need to replace the lifter inside the rockers or is there something I am missing? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-16, 2:52

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Pre-89 had an anomaly with lifter tap. So if the head you used was from an 88 that could be it. I think in 89 they increased the oil delivery aperture so the factory induced tappet noise was mostly cured. Hope that helped.

Those knock sensors are a complete pain to get to. I wriggle my arm up there from beneath the car and use a mammoth crescent wrench on them. So far so good, but i've only had to change one.

I believe in reincarnation... just the other day i saw an old lady turn into a driveway.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-16, 5:44

Quoted: 69 Post(s)

They are HLA's hydraulic, lash, adjusters.
Just let the car idle a while and drive it they should fill will oil and "charge" and the tapping should stop.
How questionable is the engine and head you used, you don't need to floor it but the higher oil pressure form higher RPM's helps charge them.
if after 30-45 minutes there is still tapping then remove the valve cover and find the rocker with play and swap the hla in it.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-16, 22:37 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 1-14-17, 21:40

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I've found that using a 0w30 helps a lot with getting rid of the lifter tick, which was an issue even in later 1gB cars.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. --Anonymous
http://www.cardomain.com/member/fspmx6/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2-16-17, 23:52

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

the "fix" that they used for the lifter tap didn't work by the way. All of my 92's also had lifter tick, as well as several friends with 91's and 92's. even the 93+ 4 cyls had horrible lifter tick after 100k miles.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. --Anonymous
http://www.cardomain.com/member/fspmx6/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2-17-17, 9:17

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdreamdxbudget View Post
the "fix" that they used for the lifter tap didn't work by the way. All of my 92's also had lifter tick, as well as several friends with 91's and 92's. even the 93+ 4 cyls had horrible lifter tick after 100k miles.
Lifters wear out, get dirty, etc... Normal. It's not an issue, just maintenance.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2-23-17, 15:38

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Power: 3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealer404 View Post
Lifters wear out, get dirty, etc... Normal. It's not an issue, just maintenance.
Second that.

FYI, I run 20/50 and never have lifter noise even when it's 0*F outside and just started. I also have replaced the hla's as a set as soon as i hear one acting up, they are cheap, seriously for how important they are what is $20 or $30 for a quiet, smooth running motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page