transmission breakage? - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-16-17, 1:15 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Power: 5

transmission breakage?

Ok, so lately I have been noticing posts on Facebook about a "trans saver" for the G series gearboxes. In some questioning, I have come to be told that the G series had weak spots in the diff casing that could cause it to crack if put under too much stress and that this was a common occurrence. This has me wondering and pondering a bit. Isn't the G series from the 2nd gens largely identical to the 1st gens? Could this be an issue for a first gen gearbox that those of us without H boxes should be worried about? Or is this a problem that came with a redesign for the 93+ G series boxes?

Can anyone here give me more info on this?

and no, I don't want to just switch to an H box, just to clarify that before we get started.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. --Anonymous
http://www.cardomain.com/member/fspmx6/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-17-17, 21:54

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Power: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdreamdxbudget View Post
Ok, so lately I have been noticing posts on Facebook about a "trans saver" for the G series gearboxes. In some questioning, I have come to be told that the G series had weak spots in the diff casing that could cause it to crack if put under too much stress and that this was a common occurrence. This has me wondering and pondering a bit. Isn't the G series from the 2nd gens largely identical to the 1st gens? Could this be an issue for a first gen gearbox that those of us without H boxes should be worried about? Or is this a problem that came with a redesign for the 93+ G series boxes?

Can anyone here give me more info on this?

and no, I don't want to just switch to an H box, just to clarify that before we get started.
i had a diff break in my n/a....i was unaware of this being a common problem, one day it started popping while turning while accelerating swapped it with another junk yard g box and called it a day.

out of curiosity i have to ask...whats the "trans saver" suggested action?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-18-17, 1:45 Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

the diffs are a known weak point in the G series. This was something to do with breaking the casing under load. and the "saver" is a bracket that lends added strength to the weak point. I had not heard of this being an issue with a 1st gen trans, but figured I'd ask if anyone else had this issue, or if it's something that we dont have to worry about with our antiques..

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. --Anonymous
http://www.cardomain.com/member/fspmx6/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-18-17, 14:25

Quoted: 64 Post(s)

My observations.
The 88-92 G series transmission is built and mounted the same way the H type transmission is (in smaller form). Overbuilt compared to later models.
Over the years, of all the GT conversions and FE3 builds using the G series transmission I have never heard of the casing cracking or breaking. The failure is either a shredded diff or stripped gears.
The mounting bracket to transmission surface/bolt points on the later model mounts got smaller but the layout stayed the same, probably using thinner castings resulting in more unsupported surface will less material holding it together.
Ademan ran or runs a G series transmission on one of his builds and I'm sure the N/A on Nos was also on a Gbox.
The only issue I could see having with the G series casing would be at the rear lower mount, unlike the H type mount that's two piece the G mount is one piece and cradles the transmission. If the bolts holding the mount to transmission get loose with the two piece mount it just binds but the one piece mount would hold the bolts straight putting the load from any movement directly on the aluminum mounting loops in the casing. Some locktite and enough torque on the bolts to make sure the bracket is holding the transmission instead of the bolts would eliminate that possibility.

If you weld the diff shaft or avoid burnouts and heavy acceleration on one wheel (accelerating leaving a gravel shoulder, sharp turns and heavy gas at low speeds...), run clean quality gear oil. 3RD gear would remain your weakest link and it's not a matter of horsepower that will strip it, it's torque that will kill the transmission, every transmission I've destroyed was right after shifting under heavy acceleration, falling in the highest torque part of the power band in the next gear.
Personally I think it's torque difference and not overall torque output that kills the transmission, going from 2nd to 3rd on a set-up that spins in second and boosts more in 3rd will put a greater sudden load on the transmission then a well balance and tuned car putting out higher torque and power numbers but building it evenly across the power band and gears. A transmission that can handle 400ft-lb torque can probably be killed by suddenly dropping 200ft-lb torque through it, either 0-200ft lb or 100-300ft-lb instant load would be far more shock to the gear and diff then gradually building 400ft-lb torque ever would. Honda transmissions run on motor oil and are made of paper. With the low torque, high rpm honda engines you can make 500+hp but never see 325Ft-lb torque. An F2T can put down 325Ft-lb torque and as little as 250hp.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-20-17, 13:06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

They're talking about a "5th Gear Plate." Helps slightly with rigidity and shaft spreading. Will not bulletproof your G series or come close to it, but might help it take a little more abuse/power.

1G G-series are just as weak and crappy as the later ones. The difference is that nobody makes the same kind of power that say... a KL does in an n/a 1G.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page