E85 on stock turbo - Page 2 - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 22:28

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Power: 5

Garage
there are people on this site that have tuned before and probably explain it better than i can but what could be happening is that it works better on 1/2 throttle because the a/f (air fuel ratio) is closer or above the ideal (14.7:1). remember if the a/f ratio becomes too high you could detonate. the car may feel like it has more power with a lean mixture (which could be happening durring your half throttle). At the same time durring full throttle you might be choking it with a rich mixture, giving it too much fuel.

Like i said I do know the basic concepts but I have yet to actually tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 1:27 Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 3

I gotcha, that make a lot of sense.
I appreciate the help dark. I really wish more members of this board shared info or would at least throw their two cents in. Especially people who have experimented with e85.
I really wonder what my a/f ratio is. I guess I'm gunna have to wait until I can get a wideband.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 1:37 Thread Starter

From my limited knowledge shouldn't one aim for around 11:1 for max power, on gasoline of course ? but lambda is lambda so 11:1 should be relevant to e85.
On a side note.. Has anyone used the ms1 v2.2 on glens garage? Iirc it's only around 140$ for the unassembled kit

Glen's Garage
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 3:47

Quote:
From my limited knowledge shouldn't one aim for around 11:1 for max power, on gasoline of course ? but lambda is lambda so 11:1 should be relevant to e85.
Nope, max power on gasoline should be at 12.5:1.

Yes lambda 1 is lambda 1 and stoich is stoich but that doesn't mean that 11:1 gas A/F is 11:1 E85 A/F.

If fact if your running E85 and your gasoline calibrated A/F gauge says 11:1 your actually be running roughly a 7.3:1 E85 ratio which is way richer than you need for safely making power on E85 due to it's high octane and charge cooling properties.

Generally people tune E85 to a 12-12.5:1 gas A/F which equals about 8-8.3:1 E85 A/F.

None of which really matters, just tune using your gas calibrated A/F gauge like you usually would, it just takes ~30% more E85 to do it.

However nobody should be tuning to 11:1 gas A/F if what they are after is max power.

VF12 - VJ11 hybrid http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-for...ic-inside.html 5 1/4" VDO splits in custom door trims http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-gen...cs-inside.html, 12" sub in custom boot/trunk http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-app...cs-inside.html 2.5" cat back, 18"x12"x3" FMIC.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 17:14 Thread Starter

Ok that makes sense.
I hear about the ~30% more all of the time. It makes me wonder why someone couldn't just inject ~30% more fuel and call it good, mAybe even mess with ignition timing a bit?
In fact, I get better mileage in my probe than my daily driver (22-26 mpg, mainly in town driving) sure my car doesn't run perfect but as long as I keep it around half throttle I can spool relatively quickly and it seems to have plenty of power. Power wise I feel is pretty darn good for no tune at all.
Can anyone comment on the power of the stock turbo? Like as soon as I hit full boost rolling on the throttle in second she breaks lose. Is this typical of a stock turbo probe with higher boost??
By the way, my tires are not "high performance" by any means but they have PLENTY of tread.
I know burn outs are a terrible/ricy way to judge power but without a wideband atm I can't really judge if my car is at least running up to par compared to other stock turbo f2t's.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 20:36

The crap running at full throttle could be lots of different things.

From bogging out rich to valve bounce from insanely high exhaust manifold pressure.

Like I said before, if you want to be running high boost and expect the car to make power the stock turbo is not the weapon of choice.
The stock turbo flows enough air for about 180hp max but that'll be damn hot air.
Whereas my bolt on VF12 hybrid flows enough air for about 280-300hp.
The turbine side of my turbo is also slightly larger than stock meaning reduced exhaust manifold pressure.
I also have upgraded valve springs to prevent any valve bounce.

VF12 - VJ11 hybrid http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-for...ic-inside.html 5 1/4" VDO splits in custom door trims http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-gen...cs-inside.html, 12" sub in custom boot/trunk http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-app...cs-inside.html 2.5" cat back, 18"x12"x3" FMIC.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-12, 15:51

ive found it to be ~30% more fuel idle and cruise, and a little less for WOT. dont ask me why, thats just what it seems to reflect when i tune from gasoline to e85

get a wideband and put a bigger turbo on that unit, like a 16g..... get the a/fs right and let her rip. you could in theory advance the timing slightly, but i sure wouldnt mess w that on the stock turbo. youll probably snap the shaft sooner or later at that boost pressure

1991 gt - still busted
1999 626 kl manual
2002 maxima
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 7-25-13, 15:02 Thread Starter

Thread revival!
Ive got a holset h1c bolted up along with a downpipe configured. I'm just waiting on my daughterboard and bip373 to drive my coil off of my megasquirt 1 v2.2 , with the extra code of course. I'm running supra 440's with e85 still in the tank. My wastegate is set to 7 psi so that'll be my starting point with 440's and e85.

I'm mainly wondering if this sounds like a good idea to control timing and fuel? Could one of you megasquirt gurus help me out?? I want to see more big turbo f2ts these days...
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 7-26-13, 2:13

Garage
Did u ever figure out the original problem?
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 7-27-13, 1:36 Thread Starter

No I never did. I ended up just getting a megasquirt to actually tune along with a WB as well. I think the original problem was a lost cause because it was even tuned and I didn't even have a wideband.
Hopefully when I get the couple of add ons for the squirt I'll be up and tuning.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 7-30-13, 9:27

Garage
Just start with a baseline tune to get it running. Then I think there is a thread about it. Or u can get someone to tune it for u.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 7-30-13, 18:14 Thread Starter

would you mind linking the thread? I've searched and searched and can't find much at all about ms v2.2 plus spark with daughterboard and bip373 to drive the coil.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 8-2-13, 12:59

Garage
http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-eng...6-turbo-3.html (How To: Megasquirt Your 1st Gen Probe/MX6 Turbo)

Have you seen this thread?
You may have to make a new thread if what your needing is really specific. I know some guys on here were nice enough to share their base tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda MX-6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page