F2T intake manifold alternative - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ğ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General > 1G MX6 Other Performance
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-12, 21:26   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 1736 Power: 5

F2T intake manifold alternative

The intake manifold is an inch or two higher than the already tll valve cover. Are there any others that will fit the F2T?

I realize I could probably cut out an inch or two and angle the plenum so the injectors still clear then weld it back together, but I was hoping for a more stock solution without so much money (I can't weld aluminum).

Does anyone have a cutaway of the plenum of the F2T stock manifold? I'm guessing it's not just wide open but instead Mazda tried to even out the air flow to all the cylinders like they did on the 2g.

Jeff ~ 1995 PGT ZE-T MSnS-E v3 (317whp @ 8.5psi / 275whp @ 5.5psi)
PARTING A LOT OF 2g and 1g STUFF
FS: Borla for sale.
FS: Clear headlight covers, headlight, fog, tail, gauge cluster
90 PGT MTX with 97k original miles!
Fastest95PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-12, 2:51   #2 (permalink)

Total: 1710 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastest95PGT View Post
Does anyone have a cutaway of the plenum of the F2T stock manifold? I'm guessing it's not just wide open but instead Mazda tried to even out the air flow to all the cylinders like they did on the 2g

From Larkens high flow intake project. http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-oth...project-3.html (High Flow Intake Project).
Not a direct shot down the plenum, but eh (maybe Larken still has the manifold if you need better pictures?). The F2/F2T plenum is a pretty straightforward affair without the VICS trickery of the FE DOHC and the KLDE/ZE (albeit with relatively long runners).

Not sure about alternate fitments though...theres the port spacing and bolt hole fitment to contend with...not to mention the coolant and EGR passages that run through the lower half. Maybe keep the lower half of the manifold and fab an adaptor for, er.....some other manifold to fit on the top? That still means some fabrication though...meh. Or you could do like Larken and myself and fabricate a sheet metal manifold for your purposes (find a local welder to do the work).

Gavin
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-12, 7:11   #3 (permalink)

Fast reply Gavin, thanks!

From the cut away of the upper IM, you're right, doesn't look like at least the first runner has anything special going on. I guess I could just pull the throttle body on the one I am working with to get a better look.

In addition, to the height, I'm concerned if flipping it around how wide it will be. I'd much rather it be right above the intermediate flange instead of 4-5" further away from the motor which also makes it quite wide.

Do you have a link to your custom manifold thread? Was it made out of aluminum or steel? Any concerns abut the different rates of metal expansion if steel mating to the aluminum lower?

I'm not concerned about EGR or coolant passages.

Old 12-21-12, 13:09   #4 (permalink)

Ive heard of folks flipping the upper part of the intake manifold...mainly to sort out fitment and packaging in north/south engine bay configuration (trucks and the like where the T/B would be facing the firewall). Heres an example...

It does make the overall package wide, but if the engine bay accommodates it, it seems a workable and cheap solution.

The sheet metal intake project is in the autocross car thread....here and here.

Gavin
Old 12-21-12, 16:33   #5 (permalink)

Total: 557 Power: 5

What about modding an SR20 manifold to fit. I don't think anyone has done one for the F2 but it's been done on the FE DOHC

http://www.mx6.com/forums/fe-dohc/24...onversion.html (FE-DOHC Conversion)

84 626 sedan FE SOHC turbo, FE3 on hold, Toyota E58 conversion under way.
89 626 5 door F2T now with VF34 and MFactory LSD parted - now being made into tomato soup cans
84 626 sedan RF diesel, a slug but you get 6.0L/100km (39MPG)
85 626 sedan carb manual - don't know what I am doing with this one.
chief tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-12, 19:31   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Ive heard of folks flipping the upper part of the intake manifold...mainly to sort out fitment and packaging in north/south engine bay configuration (trucks and the like where the T/B would be facing the firewall). Heres an example...

It does make the overall package wide, but if the engine bay accommodates it, it seems a workable and cheap solution.

The sheet metal intake project is in the autocross car thread....here and here.
Thanks Gavin. I'm aware of the flip around, but the width would probably be an even bigger concern than the height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief tool View Post
What about modding an SR20 manifold to fit. I don't think anyone has done one for the F2 but it's been done on the FE DOHC

http://www.mx6.com/forums/fe-dohc/24...onversion.html (FE-DOHC Conversion)
So that's been done on a FE. I've never seen the FE in person. I'm guessing the manifold of an FE won't fit on a F2T head or you'd have probably said it already. How about plenum to plenum?

Was the FE ever in a front/rear orientation for RWD? Here's a thread which talked very briefly about making an adapter to mate the plenums of F2T and FE IMs.

Old 12-22-12, 9:09   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 480 Power: 5

F2 intake mani wont bolt on a FE. There different bolt patterns. Ive never compared the port spacing between the two, so i cant say anything about that aspect of it.

And yes, the FE3 was indeed in a RWD application, and even here in the states. In the 1st gen Kia sportages. There was also the SOHC FE used in the rwd Mazda pick ups.

~Patrick~

http://www.pmx626.com/ Your all in one Probe, MX-6, 626 Search engine.
monoxidechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-12, 10:32   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxidechild View Post
F2 intake mani wont bolt on a FE. There different bolt patterns. Ive never compared the port spacing between the two, so i cant say anything about that aspect of it.

And yes, the FE3 was indeed in a RWD application, and even here in the states. In the 1st gen Kia sportages. There was also the SOHC FE used in the rwd Mazda pick ups.
I had read in a thread that most B2200's were carbureted so there goes taking their manifold.

Does anyone have a FE manifold laying around to take some measurements of?

Old 1-1-13, 19:17   #9 (permalink)

Just got a B2200 manifold with carb off eBay for a very cheap price. Didn't even have a picture so I wasn't really sure what it would include, but it looks to have the whole carb assembly. Was cheap enough to pull the trigger anyway. Haven't removed it from the box, just pulled some of the packing material off it to get a brief look.

I'm guessing mounting a throttle body with an adapter plate probably would not be too hard. That said, could go with a TBI setup of some kind, but I'm thinking that would be less than ideal for fuel flow as opposed to factory port injection. Thoughts?

Old 1-2-13, 0:40   #10 (permalink)

Total: 557 Power: 5

is it a 12v manifold ? the 8v ones wont work for you.

You could use a TBI setup like what you find on a chevy v6.
There are guys here in Aus who use the TBI setups of local ford I6 product on their I4 2L pinto motors just by dropping the fuel pressure.

Port fuel injection is better, than any TBI setup, typically by 10-15%.
Depends what you really want from the whole setup

my 84 turbo is still running its factory CFI setup. The biggest problem is the factory ECU and AFM not the CFI TB.

84 626 sedan FE SOHC turbo, FE3 on hold, Toyota E58 conversion under way.
89 626 5 door F2T now with VF34 and MFactory LSD parted - now being made into tomato soup cans
84 626 sedan RF diesel, a slug but you get 6.0L/100km (39MPG)
85 626 sedan carb manual - don't know what I am doing with this one.
chief tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-2-13, 6:50   #11 (permalink)

Chief, thanks for commenting.

I honestly don't remember if it was for a 12V or 8V, may not have stated. It claimed it was for a 93 (I think) so I was hoping it would be an EFI model.. but even in 93, based on my internet searches, they may have still been available in carb form. Honestly, I didn't look at the manifold other than thinking to myself "what did I order?" opened the box and was like "ooooh.... that must be a B2200 manifold I must have ordered a while ago and finally showed up."

I'll have to get a better look and post up some pictures maybe, though if it's the 8V it's not really worthy of this thread's discussion. Was there an 8V in 93?

This is for a boosted setup (being the F2T) so I'd rather avoid TBI if possible.

Old 1-4-13, 22:05   #12 (permalink)

Total: 524 Power: 5

I'm currently working on this. RNN14 GTiR quad throttle intake.

It's not an easy fit at all. Port sizing is offset and much larger than F2. Also spacing from the Master cylinder (RHD car) is extremely close.

Teh Telstar can NEVAH lose!
SABBAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-5-13, 12:54   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABBAi View Post
I'm currently working on this. RNN14 GTiR quad throttle intake.

It's not an easy fit at all. Port sizing is offset and much larger than F2. Also spacing from the Master cylinder (RHD car) is extremely close.
Do you have pictures of your new setup sitting in place?

Is it going to be in a FWD or RWD engine orientation?

Old 1-5-13, 17:20   #14 (permalink)

Total: 524 Power: 5

This is being setup for FWD. I don't have any pics of this in the car, as I'm laying out my measurements on the bench. The manifold isn't perfect for what I'm after and needs a lot of fiddling to work. I'll be cutting out a new head flange and start jigging it up.

Teh Telstar can NEVAH lose!
SABBAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-7-13, 17:53   #15 (permalink)

Scott....is there a particular reason you went with that manifold? I had been asked about going in that direction (turbo manifold with individual throttle bodies) and, while technologically impressive....decided that it was too overly complex, difficult to tune and heavy for what it ultimately needed to achieve comparative to other designs. Have you found an advantage to exploit with that style of manifold?

Gavin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement