1988 MX6 GT Special? 150+ mph top speed - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-4-13, 19:11 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

1988 MX6 GT Special? 150+ mph top speed

All right, first post, gotta get approved.

Here's my backstory.
Got out of the Navy in 1993. Bought a 1988 MX6 GT Turbo for $5,000 cash. Figure she's been rode hard so I put another $1000 back for repairs. Bascially, I loved driving that car. Osciallating fans were neat, but optional suspension settings were great too.
About 6 months later, had to replace the clutch. It was slipping. No toruble. $780 back then for a full replacement.
Go to pick up my car from Chantilly VA mechanic. He asks if I own it. I said yes. He offers to trade me his 1990 300Z straight up for it. Frankly, never liked the Datson/Nissan Z cars. I say naw, but ask him why he would trade. Straight faced he replies, "Your car is faster". I told him no way, it's just got 140-150 hp under the hood. He said, "Nope, she's faster than that. I test all new clutches and couldn't beleive how strong she is. I took to 150 mph on (US)50.
Wow couldn't beleive it was that fast. Not that I got chance to pull speed in DC traffic. Besides, that level of speed is deadly and expensive.

So flash forward, I get some time on a track and take her on loop d' loops. Sure enough, at 5100 rpm she's at 135 mph. At 5900 she's at 150. Couldn't believe the speed. Back down to 130 mph and enjoyed the drive.

Years pass and my Brother gets me to sign her over and later sells it.

So any idea why my car was able to hit 150 mph with an engine that was rated at 190 torgue?

Now that I am older and wealthier, I'd like to get one again and bring it back to life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-4-13, 19:58

Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelCoo View Post
All right, first post, gotta get approved.

Here's my backstory.
Got out of the Navy in 1993. Bought a 1988 MX6 GT Turbo for $5,000 cash. Figure she's been rode hard so I put another $1000 back for repairs. Bascially, I loved driving that car. Osciallating fans were neat, but optional suspension settings were great too.
About 6 months later, had to replace the clutch. It was slipping. No toruble. $780 back then for a full replacement.
Go to pick up my car from Chantilly VA mechanic. He asks if I own it. I said yes. He offers to trade me his 1990 300Z straight up for it. Frankly, never liked the Datson/Nissan Z cars. I say naw, but ask him why he would trade. Straight faced he replies, "Your car is faster". I told him no way, it's just got 140-150 hp under the hood. He said, "Nope, she's faster than that. I test all new clutches and couldn't beleive how strong she is. I took to 150 mph on (US)50.
Wow couldn't beleive it was that fast. Not that I got chance to pull speed in DC traffic. Besides, that level of speed is deadly and expensive.

So flash forward, I get some time on a track and take her on loop d' loops. Sure enough, at 5100 rpm she's at 135 mph. At 5900 she's at 150. Couldn't believe the speed. Back down to 130 mph and enjoyed the drive.

Years pass and my Brother gets me to sign her over and later sells it.

So any idea why my car was able to hit 150 mph with an engine that was rated at 190 torgue?

Now that I am older and wealthier, I'd like to get one again and bring it back to life.
on a bone stock gt ill say 140mph is possible without mod, but 150mph? unless the car is modified . i dont see the paper filter and stock unmodified f2 doing that. it takes too long to get there. I will be more worried a mechanic abusing your brand new clutch and going 150 mph on rt50, especially in faifax county. too much traffic light to go that fast on stock car. if you go rt50 in md, you got longer stretch there. be safe out there

1990 mx6lx 13.5@102.9 on 87shot
1989 white pgt 486whp 543wtq@29psi..dynoed 11-9-13
1991 probe gt 373whp at 24psi
1988 mx6gt 461whp @32psi
1990 mx6lx 348whp@ 18psi slipping clutch
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-5-13, 11:38

Its a shitty pic. But figured id still post it. It does 134mph stock.

~Patrick~

http://www.pmx626.com/ Your all in one Probe, MX-6, 626 Search engine.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-12-13, 11:53 Thread Starter

For the record, the 1988 MX6 GT turbo was bone stock. It should not have been able to go that fast. The fact is that it did go that fast. To the point that I put three helicoils over the years into the block due to blowing spark plugs out of the block (completely stripping them out).

Dropping the hammer in the car would result in the front end literally bouncing off the ground as the tires skipped, then spun and then finally burned out.

A friend had the next year's GT and mine would flat out smoke his.

I read in a car and driver (or like magazine) that Mazda motor sports was tapped to provide mid year engines for the GT Turbo due to sales volumes. Since this is the Mazda forums, I had hoped to confirm or get a reference to the article. Plus see if there was a means to seek out which models had the MMS engine.

And I kid you not, my next car was a 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT with 305 horsepower. That Cobra was not as fast as my 1988 MX6 GT turbo.

Anyone else ever hear of Mazda Motor Sports providing engines for the 1988 GT?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-12-13, 12:43

Quote:
For the record, the 1988 MX6 GT turbo was bone stock. It should not have been able to go that fast. The fact is that it did go that fast. To the point that I put three helicoils over the years into the block due to blowing spark plugs out of the block (completely stripping them out).

Dropping the hammer in the car would result in the front end literally bouncing off the ground as the tires skipped, then spun and then finally burned out.

I read in a car and driver (or like magazine) that Mazda motor sports was tapped to provide mid year engines for the GT Turbo due to sales volumes. Since this is the Mazda forums, I had hoped to confirm or get a reference to the article. Plus see if there was a means to seek out which models had the MMS engine.

And I kid you not, my next car was a 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT with 305 horsepower. That Cobra was not as fast as my 1988 MX6 GT turbo.

Im not aware of that, mazda use the same motor/turbo with the exception of the injectors in all year 88-92gt, 88-89gt injectors are squared and rated at 310cc while 90-92gt injectors are oval and rated at 325cc, confirm through flow clinic. but unless your mechanic did something significant to it and affect the boost delivery i.e gutted cat, diconnect boost solenoid, install bigger exhaust or open exhaust , or fill the car up with nitromethane, then thats weird. with the exhaust work and intake . i have seen 140+mph but not 150mph?.... it clearly take too long and i dont even think the paper filter is up for the task.

1990 mx6lx 13.5@102.9 on 87shot
1989 white pgt 486whp 543wtq@29psi..dynoed 11-9-13
1991 probe gt 373whp at 24psi
1988 mx6gt 461whp @32psi
1990 mx6lx 348whp@ 18psi slipping clutch
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-12-13, 20:01

Quote:

I hope I never go 150 so I don't need to rethread my block for spark plugs...that would suck...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-13-13, 10:41 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt89glturbo View Post
I hope I never go 150 so I don't need to rethread my block for spark plugs...that would suck...
yes it is. The third one blew out in SC on the way into Augusta (driving Dewey Beach DE to Atlanta GA). My half-brother was with me. The car went from crusing at 90 mph to about 10 mph. A complete loss of real power: the engine fired, but no power. Pulling over, we used the aluminum wrap from two sticks of Wrigleys like a plumbers tape on the "still attached to the plug wire" spark plug. Made it the 3 miles to the next exit.
Rolled into a convienance store parking lot. Called a taxi. Went to Napa. Got the hand tools and helicoil insert, flash light, and some grease. My brother taped the coil laying over the engine with me "holding the flashlight". Cleaned the shavings out of the piston chamber with a pencil with grease on it. (swab with grease, put in engine, pull out shaving, wiipe off grease, repeat over and over again)
Fired right up, burned a small amount of smoke out. Ran like a top.

My brother has mad engine and car skills from racing off-road in SCORE with our father his whole life. Car breaks down in the middle of the desert you fix, leave it or pay for a specialty tow .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-13-13, 12:02

damn, I would have just put grease on the tap while threading, but I guess a pencil makes a whole lot more sense...

too bad i don't believe you, though...I've had multiple 1gens over the years, with 3 of them going through hell their whole life with me, bigger turbos, more boost, and never blew a plug out of the head...poor mechanics at work, or unlucky, but it's not from going 150...or anything the car did. The only reason I haven't gone 150 is lack of a safe way to do it here, eventually I wanna run my boosted 2gen on bonneville, but currently it's a low priority. 2 of the 3 1gens I raced I'm sure could have easily done 150, or at least 145, but 150 is so far from where they're making power, without a lot of help it's hard to picture it without doing it, especially in a so called stock car with a race mazda engine...that likely doesn't exist, or if it does, never made it to the street...

That, and losing 1 spark plug won't cripple you to 10mph...noticeably slower, but they can still cruise just fine at 80mph, I would suggest unplugging the injector, though...of course I'm figuring that loss of compression from a broken piston acts the same as lost compression from losing a plug, but I've never tried that specifially, either...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-19-13, 22:29

Guess this thread says really how faulty the factory speedo can be. lol

~Patrick~

http://www.pmx626.com/ Your all in one Probe, MX-6, 626 Search engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda MX-6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page