Fastest top speed you've done? (1st Gen MX-6) - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-16, 0:08 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power: 0

Question Fastest top speed you've done? (1st Gen MX-6)

Hey guys! This thread probably isn't relevant at all...
But anyway...
What's the fastest top speed you've reached in your 1st Gen MX-6???

I was sketching out a little, going 160km/h a few weeks back on a highway near mine. (Still getting used to the car since I've only had it for a month)

Before anyone says anything, I'll let you guys know that it was at 1am in the morning and no other cars were on the road at the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-16, 13:39

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
Hey guys! This thread probably isn't relevant at all...
But anyway...
What's the fastest top speed you've reached in your 1st Gen MX-6???

I was sketching out a little, going 160km/h a few weeks back on a highway near mine. (Still getting used to the car since I've only had it for a month)

Before anyone says anything, I'll let you guys know that it was at 1am in the morning and no other cars were on the road at the time
The top speed is decided for you based on red line rpm, transmission gears/final drive and tire size. If you install good struts and springs, upgrade the swaybars and the control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod and trailing axle links and arms are all in good shape (and the brakes, and the tires are rated for the speeds you plan) then the car will feel much different at higher speeds, with addco sway bars it seems like the car becomes more stable above 180km/h.

I have hit the rev limiter in 5th countless times in all the F2T I have owned and driven.
Top speed for me has always been in this range (with GT 5speed's and no speed governor).
-Running 205 50 r15 (23.1")@ 6250rpm in 5th, 232KM/h
-Running 225 50 r16 (24.9") @ 6250rpm in 5th, 256km/h
(195/60 15, 205/55 16, 205/45 17 all fall within those speeds).

The question isn't really relevant and has been asked time and time again on MX6.com usually leading to arguing matches between law abiding moralists and social rebels.

The only curious thing out of all my experience is (many will/would argue it's not possible), with 88-89gt's running digital clusters the speeds mentioned with 23.1" wheels up to 24.91" wheels are the actual speeds displayed on the digital speedometer when I hit the red line limiter. No it doesn't make sense, the speedo gear is in the transmission and should read fixed speeds based on how fast the differential is turning. The speed should read the same at a certain RPM no matter the size of wheels but it doesn't. This isn't just one F2T that I have noticed this in.
My red 89GT was the best example, I ran 225/50r16's until they where bald, was up in the 250km/h range top end 5th. Put on some 205/50 15's I had kicking around and hit the 5th gear rev limiter just above 230km/h, about a month later I put on 195/60 15 winter tires and saw high 240's km/h.

The car has no way of knowing the circumference of the tires, The speed should read the same at redline even without wheels and off the ground. But it doesn't, to me over the years it has became one of those unexplainable reality's you just accept.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 1-4-17, 17:20

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Math says likely 260-270kph for those of you that don't use freedom units. Possibly higher. Wasn't running a GPS, mazda factory gauges aren't known for their accuracy, and because of which, i'm not 100% sure how high my car spun RPM-wise.

225/50-16s @ 6500rpm engine speed, fuel cut in 5th gear on a chipped ecu with a raised rev limit.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 1-5-17, 22:23

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I hit 116 mph on gps just a couple of weeks ago testing the accuracy of my speedo.

1988 MX-6 GT 5 speed White/ Burgundy interior
1988 MX-6 GT 5 speed White/ Blue interior
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
2003 Dodge Caravan 3.3 V6
1990 Mazda 626 LX/1990 MX-6 GT
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 1-8-17, 20:26

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Power: 3

Garage
125 mph heading to Seattle in my 1991 DX, found the factory speed limiter. Was running with a Cadillac CTS, Audi A4, a BMW 320 something and a 04" Dodge Ram diesel towing a car trailer....empty.

Now the DX is running with a 91 GT ecu, turbo (not stock setup), power everything and yep I've manage to keep my AC and power steering and still hit north 0f 130 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page