Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klze Faq

177K views 242 replies 73 participants last post by  Fastest95PGT 
#1 · (Edited)
I made this write-up to have all of the info in one place, mainly for myself. When I wrote this, I didn't think there would be this much info. And I can only guess that it is 100% complete. You can do what you like with this thread, kill it or make it sticky. All I know is that it really could benifit the newbies and stop the repeated questions.

And just as a little "don't blame me" side note; don't believe everything you read on the message boards. I didn't just make this stuff up, I spent hours each day looking through different threads on PT and MX6.com conferming everything I could. ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!!! There could be mistakes in this write-up but I tried to make it bullet proof. If you go by this and your ZE blows up, don't blame me.

Special thanks to scubasteve, I figured out the vacuum hoses!!
and everybody else that runs a ZE in the MX6/Probe!
Damn I love the internet!
-easyBob

Thinking of buying a KLZE?
Updated (Nov. 7, 2006) by everyone that has boosted a ZE:
Money, for most people is the biggest issue when making a decision to modify a car. Buying a KLZE is a great place to start. It's not an expensive engine compared to others, and will be a joy to learn from and drive, daily. It is very possible to super/turbocharger a ZE and enjoy it as well, but the costs will be greater. The costs will include the engine, F/I setup, install, tuning, skill, and time. If you are lacking any of those areas, start small, then work your way up. You will learn a lot and you will have a lot more hands on experience in the end.

And to add to this thread to try and cut down on the "I have a 4 cylinder and want to swap the ZE in" threads...

Here are some ideas for the fellow 6'ers that have the I4:
1. You will need a lot more than just the ZE to put it into your car. Basiclly, anything that is different from the I4 to V6 needs to be replaced. It can be done, but the costs could be higher.

2. Sell your I4. Yup, sell it. You take that money from the sale, and buy a LS with high miles or a bad engine, then put the ZE in.

Option 2 is by far, in my opinion, the best.

Now for some stats:

The compression of the KLZE is 10:1. The KLDE (KL03) is 9.2:1.
The HP rating for the ZE is 200hp@6500rpm. The KLDE is 164hp @ 6000rpm('93 only), 164hp @ 5600rpm ('94-97).

The torque for the ZE is 160ft/lbs @ 5000rpm (Have heard 180). The DE is 156ft/lbs@ 4000 ('93only), 160ft/lbs @ 4800 ('94-97).

The interesting thing about the ZE and DE torque # are that they are almost the same. What you don't see by looking at the numbers is that the peak torque of the ZE holds out longer.

REQUIRED WHEN BUYING A KLZE:

You should know these part numbers so you dont get ripped off! Don't buy another DE with the ZE IM!

1) IM: Make sure its not the EUNOS 800, I hear it has a problem fitting. The ZE IM has a longer neck to the TB, just look at the 03 IM and the ZE IM and you will see the difference.
2) TB: Should read KL31
3) HEADS: One should read KL31-101 and the other KL31-1A1
4) CAMS: Should read KL-31
5) PISTONS: Pull a spark plug and shine a light down in there to see the top of the piston. Make sure they are flat.
6) Check/Change hoses.
7) Change timing belt.
8) Change the water pump.
9) Use your KLDE disty.
10) You will need an aftermarket air intake. The stock intake(box and all) will not fit do to the longer neck on the ZEs IM. If you get a HotShot, you will either have to modify the air flow meter to TB elbow or make sure the stock one is still flexable or else the AFM will point right at the battery and nothing will fit.

Put these, and anything else, on the engine/car while the ZE is OUT. The main point being that it is easier/cheaper to install aftermarket/new stuff with the engine out.

Just a note to keep:
For the UR Ultra S Crank Pulley & RR-Racing Crank Pulley:
• Alternator and A/C Belt: Use Gates K050380 (38.75” or 985MM) – Alternator w/o A/C: Use Dayco 315K5 (31.5” or 800 MM)
• Power Steering and Water Pump Belt: Use Gates K040355 (36 1/8” or 920MM).

THE ECU AND VAF/MAF:

Update (Nov. 7, 2006) by BShark for options depending on year:
93-95 (OBDI):
1) You can use the a-spec ECU with the a-spec VAF(Haynes calls it a MAF), but you won't get all the power out of the ZE.
or
2) Get the j-spec ECU and MX-3 MAF. Pull the wire to the ECU from the speedo to "fix" the limiter.

96-97 (OBDII):
1) Swap the OBDII harness to OBDI, and anything else required to run OBDI (Not as bad as it sounds).
or
2) Use MSD (digital) window switches and an AFPR to manually adjust the VRIS points and fuel curves.

An option for all years is to get a MegaSquirt standalone engine management system. Read more on mx6.com. probetalk.com, megasquirt.info, and msefi.com.

From Mark Smith aka KCV6 on PT:
Part Numbers for j-spec ECU and MX-3 MAF:
ECU: as it appears on the label.
2Z KL36G
KL36
EGI
KL31 18 881F
079700-3613

VAF:
JE50
197200-0060

I have also seen JE50 197200-0070.

Note: You need to use the right ECU/MAF combonation. The MX-3 MAF and the a-spec (stock MX-6) VAF do NOT output the same signal to the ECU.

INSTALLATION TIPS:

EGR stuff:
Emissions are different in Japan. They use something else but thats not important.
The EGR recycles exhaust gases back into the IM to lower emissions.
The hole in the head seems to be there, but is not used or sealed off. You can just swap over your 03 EGR stuff.

Vacuum hoses: (from scubasteve w/mods)
There are 2 small differences in the IM of the ZE compared to the 03. Use scubasteves ZE install write-up for a nice diagram (It's in the projects forum, 2nd gen).
(Looking in the engine bay from the front)
1. On the back right side of the DE IM, there are some nipples, one of them comes from the vacuum chambers under the IM. This one nipple is on the back left side of the ZE IM.

2. On the front right side runner of the DE IM, there are 2 nipples, one above the other. The top one leads to the cruise control and the bottom one leads to the FPR control valve. The ZE does NOT have the top nipple. No problem. Splice the bottom line and put a "T" pipe peice in between the cut hose. Then take your old top nipple hose and plug it into the "T".

Continue with scubasteves write-up for more indepth install tips and how to run your ZE for the first time!

or

try Probetalks

FAQ

Mike 94PGT Edit: Please don't take offense anyone, but to keep this thread truly clean, simple and useful, I'll condense additions to this original thread and delete posts as necessary. This isn't meant as a slight in any way, only to keep this thread, as an FAQ/info thread, crystal clear.

05/31/02 Re: Fuel Injectors & Rails
- an upgraded FPR (fuel pressure regulator) is a good idea. The ability to add a few PSI of rail pressure allows tuning the WOT fuel delivery without adversely affecting the closed-loop operation. The KLZE seems to like anywhere from 3-6 PSI higher rail pressure than the KLDE. YMMV.
- from Stingray77 Millenia S injectors are a drop-in and flow more than KLDE injectors. The engine may run rich with these injectors without additional tuning (e.g. fuel pressure). They may be more suitable for use when adding F/I to the KLZE.
- from mazdarabbit A possible source of upgraded KLDE injectors is Rafi at www.rr-racing.com

don't remember when,
-from easyBob! For 95+ cars, you might have this problem...
Jeff Jeske from PT has a site about the intermediate shaft.
This website is a quick look at the problem.
There is a solution though.
"Get a 93-94 intermediate shaft and carrier bearing." The 93 is what Jeff used so it is a confirmed fix.
-from Stingray77 Don't forget, if something breaks in the ZE, how are you going to get replacement parts. Obviously, some DE parts fit the ZE, but some don't. Example: The intake lifters on the ZE are bigger than the intake lifters on the 03.

Here is a nice dyno chart showing the differences between a completely stock KLDE Probe GT, and a KLZE PGT:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
KLZE PART NUMBERS

Heads
KL31 101
KL31 1A1

KLZE TB
KL30-13-640C

KLZE Right Piston
KLY3-11-SA0

KLZE Left Piston
KLY3-11-SL0

CAMSHAFT, EXHAUST (L)
KL31-12-450

CAMSHAFT, EXHAUST(R)
KL31-12-440E

CAMSHAFT, INTAKE (L)
KL31-12-430E

CAMSHAFT,INTAKE (R)
KL31-12-420

Intake Manifold [MX-6 I believe]
KL31-13-100K

Exhaust Manifold
KL02-13-450B

ECU
KL31-18-881F

#4 ·
KLZE ECU from the one you dont trust

Hi Bob,
I must be the one you dont trust?
The KLZE ECU's that I have been able work out that are MX6/626
200HP ECU's are KL31 and KL36.
The interesting thing about both these ECU's and there part number is that the BIG NUMBER (on the big label) maybe KL31 but the long part number on the bar code label is KL36 18881 and a letter, and for the KL36 the number is KL31 18881 and a letter.
I have had the Ford/Mazda dealer check the part numbers for the ECU's against chassis numbers and the MX6 KLZE have always had KL31 18881.
The KL36 is for the 626/Telstar sedans.
Overall for the MX6 there are 15 part numbers for the ECU.
Finally Bob, it may pay to mention that the KL in the Mazda Millenium/800 is only 170hp and not 200hp like a true KLZE.
This engine seems to be set up for the ATX and a smooth flat torque curve, and not performance.
Its part numbers are ECU: KL62 and MAF: KL47.
Can I be trusted?@-

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
i didnt bother to even look at the numbers on my KLZE ECU, but I will verify that the VAF, is indeed numbered JE50 ...

the Car will Not run with a KLZE ECU and an american VAF .. I tried it for testing purposes.

I noticed I definatly torque increase with the ECU, and contrary to my belief it runs a little smoother, I also have lessened Fuel Economy, which tells me that more fuel is feeding the engine.

"ENGINE COMPARISON"

KLDE (KL03)

KLZE

#7 ·
scubasteve said:
i didnt bother to even look at the numbers on my KLZE ECU, but I will verify that the VAF, is indeed numbered JE50 ...

the Car will Not run with a KLZE ECU and an american VAF .. I tried it for testing purposes.

I noticed I definatly torque increase with the ECU, and contrary to my belief it runs a little smoother, I also have lessened Fuel Economy, which tells me that more fuel is feeding the engine.
What kind of milage are you getting right now and what gas are you using?

#9 ·
No. Getting a ZE really does depend on a few things, like how well your 03 is running, and how much money you have.

For example, my situation is, my 03 is burning oil. To be able to have a running car, for a good price, I'm putting in a ZE. Then, while the ZE is in, my old 03 will be rebuilt and be able to handle a nice big, fat turbo. Thats the part that takes time and money. More than I have right now.

Like I said, you have to look at your own situation before you jump into anything.

#10 ·
since my thread was closed....
the ZLZE engine, it's not the same as the KLZE, so why'd they point me here?? the KLZE engine's NA hp is at 164, but the ZLZE is supposedly at 200 hp.
any chance of being able to swap my 4 cyl with a zlze?

#11 ·
aznscentsationz said:
since my thread was closed....
the ZLZE engine, it's not the same as the KLZE, so why'd they point me here?? the KLZE engine's NA hp is at 164, but the ZLZE is supposedly at 200 hp.
any chance of being able to swap my 4 cyl with a zlze?
Dude, you're kinda confused.

The KL_03 is the 164hp, 156ft/lbs tq A-spec engine in the MX6 LS.

The KLZE is the 200hp, 173 ft/lbs tq J-spec motor in the V6 MX6 in Japan.

The FSZE is the 170hp 4cyl engine in the mx6 in japan.
you should read posts better, and try searching.

Rabbit

#13 ·
The Z in the ZLZE was most likly a typo. Why would nara tell you to look at a faq for the KLZE when he was talking about a ZLZE, which I have never heard of.

Don't sweat it. Miscomunication is a problem around the world these days.

#16 ·
what are the reasons that the KLZE is not recomended over the FSZE for a swap with the i4?
just wondering, cost wise they look to turn out close to the same when its all said and done, and it would be nice to get that extra 30 hp and have the smoothness of a 6 under the hood.

#17 ·
gannon_dylan said:
what are the reasons that the KLZE is not recomended over the FSZE for a swap with the i4?
just wondering, cost wise they look to turn out close to the same when its all said and done, and it would be nice to get that extra 30 hp and have the smoothness of a 6 under the hood.
if you got the money to do the V6 swap it would be better .. I know some people have talked about attempting it .. and it can be done ... but you have to buy all the V6 sensors, that dont come with the motor ... you have to buy the V6 alternator, V6 Power Steering Pump, V6 AC compressor, you have to get a V6 ECU, and a V6 Transmission ... from there ... you have to manually run wires from the new V6 ECU, to each sensor .... which can be a chore ...

but if your up to the job and got the money ... go for it ... (some parts that I mentioned, may be the same on the I4, I just dont know much about the I4 ... )

#18 ·
Wiring Question

I'm trying to wire my ZE now, and am having a problem. In my engine bay I have 2 identical connectors which both fit the connector that came with my ZE.

When i got my ZE it had a piece of the wiring harness with it. this piece has the connectors for all the vacume solenoids on the back of the IM and all the various temp sending units located around the radiator cap on the engine side. (there is one more sensor on the ZE that I didn't have on my 03, too).

anyway, After having gotten the engine in, we found that two of the connectors on the STOCK wiring harness are identical. one appears to be tranny related, and the other engine related. So we went by the colors of the wires themselves to hook everything up. However this now leaves this other wiring harness that came with the ZE. since that has all the correct stuff on it, I'd like to use that. Can I just disconnect the a-spec plug and use the j-spec one?

I hope I'm explaining this right. Tomorrow when the shop opens up again, I'll be finishing up the vacume lines and hopefully the wiring. I also noticed the same problem with the midshaft not having enough holes. was this issue ever resolved? should I drill another have in the bearing mount?

Other than that the swap is going faily well, so far.

thanks for any advice :)

#22 ·
epidemik said:
Can the KLZE engine be turbo'd? If no, why not?
I dont know of any car engines that cannot be turbocharged.. and i know it has been done to the KLZE.. Since it is the same as the engine in the american 6.. other than a few internal changes, i dont see why your would think it couldnt be.. but yes, it can.. I would suggest you get someone to do the installation for you!

#23 ·
Turbo ZE

Yeah, you can, but it might not be worth the $$$.

the ZE has a higher compression ratio than the 03. But the connecting rods are just as soft. So running high boost, or a large nitrous shot will be likely to age the engine fast... or blow it up.

If you rebuild the bottom end, or stack up head gaskets, you might be able to run higher pressure, but probably a safe boost on a ZE is between 2 and 4 pounds.

Check out the forced induction section on probetalk. they have a LOT of people over there who have done this mod with varying degrees of success.

There are a few companies that make kits for our cars, but I don't know about ZE specific setups. Your best bet (and probably least expensive) is to have a local shop do the work. Any turbo will work, same with intercoolers. I got an intercooler out of a volvo in the junk yard for like $30 in preparation for a future FI mod. If it works, I probably saved a few hundred bucks, and if not, $30 isn't such a huge loss.

Anyway, good luck with your mod.

#24 ·
Anyone have any idea why the ZE chip running a ZE engine causes the HOLD light to blink?

I have an ATX, did the ZE swap, etc.

When I plug the A-spec chip into the harness, I get the egr code (expected), and nothing else. Engine idle is rugh, and between 1700 and 2000 rpms) hold button works, tranny operation seems nromal, but engine feels weak. No other codes come back from either the ECU for the engine, or the tranny.

When I plug in the j-spec chip, no codes come back from either chip (tranny or engine), but I have a blinking hold light. Also, the engine idle is right where it should be, engine feels more powerful, but tranny operation is horrible. I have to get almost to redline for it to shift, it shifts REAL hard, the hold button does not work at all, does not downshift until I have been sitting still at a light for at least 10 seconds, and even then , it doesn't down shift all the way... it's like the brakes are really fighting to keep the car at a stand still, etc.

I posted a thread about this the other day, but this thread might be a more appropriate place for the question.

The numbers on the chip are: (In big letters) KL31
and in small letters: KL36

the assumption I am going on, based on threads from here and probetalk, is that this is a ZE chip, out of a 626, and it might have been out of a MTX, but I do not know for sure.

For now I'm not driving the car very much, since I don't know if it's a good idea to run either chip. Any help from the ZE gurus would be greatly appreciated, cause at this point I'm getting out of my league.

Thanks, everyone.

#25 ·
When I plug the A-spec chip into the harness, I get the egr code (expected), and nothing else. Engine idle is rugh, and between 1700 and 2000 rpms) hold button works, tranny operation seems nromal, but engine feels weak. No other codes come back from either the ECU for the engine, or the tranny.
Thats expected with the a-spec chip with the ZE. The a-spec ship doesn't have the optimal data for running the ZE.

When I plug in the j-spec chip, no codes come back from either chip (tranny or engine), but I have a blinking hold light. Also, the engine idle is right where it should be, engine feels more powerful, but tranny operation is horrible. I have to get almost to redline for it to shift, it shifts REAL hard, the hold button does not work at all, does not downshift until I have been sitting still at a light for at least 10 seconds, and even then , it doesn't down shift all the way... it's like the brakes are really fighting to keep the car at a stand still, etc.
Ok...When you pluged the j-spec chip in... did you also change the VAF you were using? The j-spec chip won't work with the a-spec VAF. The way you describe the shifting problem sounds just like the IAT mod....shifting harder and yada yada yada...

2 things you can do.
1. get a VAF/MAF from an MX3 (50-150$ used)
2. get your a-spec chip reprogrammed ( over 300$ ????)

hope this helps,
-Chris

#26 ·
Yup. sorry. I completely forgot to mention that. I'm already running the JE50 VAF off an mx3... which, now that I think about it, should have pulled up an error when the a-spec chip was plugged in, shouldn't it?

Maybe my the VAF I got is no good? But what about the blinking hold light? no use of hold button? and inability to downshift?

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'd completely forgotten I'd changed VAFs. argh. this swap has become such a pain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.