Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Car Maintenance - Forecasting Help.

860 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bsb2001ca 
#1 ·
Hi All

This new thread is an extension of my KLG4 IM. - Thinking/forecasting what needs to be done to the car this year for maintenance before I get too far a head with toys. I need some input on what I should be looking out for and what should be fix/replaced. I am one of these people that organize and detail a fair bit.

The car has always gone in for the recommended maintenance cycle by Mazda when my grandmother owned it since new. I've done a lot of other work on it myself since I've had it for three years.

But, despite low mileage, what should I be keeping an eye out for or look at replacing now? Do I keep the same process, replace it when it makes a funny sound?

Should I look at a top end rebuild this year because of age, not just mileage?

My annual budget for regular car maintenance + 1 emergency is $2800. So I can cover a fair bit. I don't mind spending more, but last year was a bit expensive

So bear these facts:

- Car is 20 years old
- Regularly maintained all its life by my grandmother and now by me.
- 136,000KM (not miles) Mileage
- No funny noises, idles fine and drives fine.
- Auto Tranny doesn't show any signs of issues
- Car looks brand new in and out

Since I got the car three years ago, I've replaced:

- All major belts (timing, fan etc) (2011)
- Alternator (2012)
- Battery (2012)
- AC Recharge (2012)
- Headers (2012)
- New CatBack - (still running stock CAT, no smell or rattling) (2012)
- CV Boots (2012)
- Front Rotors and Pads (2011)
- Regular fluid flushing (
- Wires and Spark recently done (2012)
- Brand new Disty and Rotor (2012)
- Tokico HP Shocks and Springs (2012)
- Valve cover gasket done in 2005
- New tires two years ago

This year I know I am due for:

- Auto Tranny flush = $200
- Back Rotors and Pads all around
- Possibly a Starter
- HiFlow CAT

So oh wise people - what is coming up I need to look at to keep this car showroom worthy?

See less See more
#4 ·
Battery, done this year. Coolant flush - good idea

JoeyV - I wax every quarter.

Looks like I may really have nothing too much to worry about. Stick to the normal maintenance and hope nothing goes horribly wrong.

#6 ·
Ya you're right about that.

Wife and I are planning on some big things happening this year. New Car, possibly a house purchase and other big things. Trying to get money and all the affairs in line

#7 ·
If you have emission testing where you are, a high-flow cat could be a problem. Look at buying a California approved cat to guarantee that you'll pass emissions when the time comes.

No need for a starter until it goes.

Air filter, fuel filter, pcv.

Take a look at the suspension rubber bits to make sure nothing has any play (tie rods, control arms, ball joint, end links)

Good to see that you're all for preventative maintenance...keep it running strong!

#9 · (Edited)
I wouldn't even be too concerned with 136k, I'm at 380,000 kms and all I have to do is worry about general maintaince, as long as you keep up with all the intervals and things like that, there's no reason you won't make that engine run clean to 500k.

Something I would suggest is maybe a trans temp gauge to see how that oil is doing. If it gets to a certain temp, it halts the life of the oil and seals for every 1 degree over. Secondly a good transmission oil like Lucas semi synthetic or the multi vehicle ATF is good. As I been tought, not all oil is created equally, and from experience, it does wonders on smooth shifting and dealing with heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.