Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Have you ever test-driven a newer car.....

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  automan 
#1 ·
and realized that your ancient MX6 is better in almost every way? What do we have to spend to get a better car? I've driven NB Miatas that would get blown away by my 24 year old MX6. Now, my daughter's Protege ES does handle better but it would have to be a Mazdaspeed version to even think about keeping up with the MX at 10 psi.

So, a second question for you is: Which car(s) have you driven that you feel is superior to your MX?

#3 ·
I was trying to pace a '12 miata the other night... kept up but im pretty sure the old man was toying with me...

#4 ·
I love the look of the 05-09 Mazda3 hatchbacks and they do come in a 6sp turbo version. I've never driven one but if i wanted to drop 12k-16k on another "used" car, i might not hesitate to choose that one.

The Mazda5 hatchbacks are nice looking too.

A little murdered out of course, tinted glass, black wheels etc, they're pretty slammin.

#6 ·
Test drove an MPS3 a few years back....sure, it was good don't get me wrong, it goes about its performance quietly which would keep the g/f happy....but I just couldn't see how it was that many thousands of $ better...

Plus I enjoy working on cars, to some extent.... buying something new, I thought i'd be bored and I'd have to go though all the BS about new car warranties and waiting for them to expire before making changes. Not that many warranties are all that great considering how many hoops you have to jump through in order for the warranty to be 'honoured'

In any case how long before your 'new' car in your mind is no longer new.... 6months...one year, two years...
after 30 years the car becomes timeless!

#7 ·
The only good thing about newer cars is less road noise
Also decent air-cond haha (Mine isn't that bad but still, there is better)
The thing that I hate about new cars is the steering, brakes, and throttle control
All electric, and you can't get (IMHO) a good feel of what you're doing.

#8 ·
Test drove the mazdaspeed 3 to replace the probegt as a daily but i was not impress with the car, doesnt feel as fun as all my 1st gen .

#10 · (Edited)
When it came to the NB Miata, it was the lack of torque that made me miss my MX, which has over 200 lbs-ft at fairly low rpm. Torque is addictive, but so is rotary engine high-rpm thrust. (I've owned 4 rotary Mazdas over the years.) My daughter's Protege ES steering is quicker and the suspension, perfect but beyond 25 MPH, there is far less torque compared to the MX.
The other thing to remember is that our MXs are lighter than a good majority of sporty cars on the road, today. The SR-S and BRZs are very close in weight and with such a low center of gravity, will undoubtedly handle better but hey, they cost neat $30K after taxes.
The upcoming Fiesta ST with 197 HP and good low rpm torque should offer good gas mileage and decent utility for $22k. Its gas mileage should be quite a bit higher than the MS3.

#11 ·
My wife drives a BJII Astina SP20. It's light and nimble and loves being thrown around, but it is gutless. The seating is not that great and seems to sit very high off the floor.

I drove my mates MPS6 the other day. Wow, it's boring. It feels like it would be at home on the HWY, but it a bit crashy around town, yet soft enough not to get feed back through the wheel. The dual mass clutch and fly by wire throttle body makes it difficult to launch even with the 4wd and the cable shift feels notch and indirect.

The engine is smooth on light throttle, but becomes doughy on boost. Boost/power falls away at 5000rpm (similar to an F2T) but it feels completely flat.

On the other hand, with a retrofitted throttle cable and aftermarket management, these motors come alive. Especially with a 3076R on them...

#12 ·
SABBAI,

How much does the Astina weigh and what is its gross HP? Frankly, I never heard of that car, but I'm sure there are quite a few over there that are unlike any over here.

Test drove an MPS3 a few years back....sure, it was good don't get me wrong, it goes about its performance quietly which would keep the g/f happy....but I just couldn't see how it was that many thousands of $ better...

Plus I enjoy working on cars, to some extent.... buying something new, I thought i'd be bored and I'd have to go though all the BS about new car warranties and waiting for them to expire before making changes. Not that many warranties are all that great considering how many hoops you have to jump through in order for the warranty to be 'honoured'

In any case how long before your 'new' car in your mind is no longer new.... 6months...one year, two years...
after 30 years the car becomes timeless!
I agree but I think our MXs are already timeless!

Im actually buying a NB miata to daily around and of course its gonna get modded. But they don't feel much slower than a de mx6
Is your MX6 turboed? If so, somethin aint right.

I've always had my eyes on a Mazda speed 6... those are sweet cars.
However, I'll bet they weigh at least 400 lbs more than ours do.

The only good thing about newer cars is less road noise
Also decent air-cond haha (Mine isn't that bad but still, there is better)
The thing that I hate about new cars is the steering, brakes, and throttle control
All electric, and you can't get (IMHO) a good feel of what you're doing.
True - I drove a Nissan Versa the other day and it was very quiet until you had to accelerate. Toyota/Lexus seem to infuse lots of sound deadening into their vehicles, although I don't think that's true of the Scion FR-S.

I love the look of the 05-09 Mazda3 hatchbacks and they do come in a 6sp turbo version. I've never driven one but if i wanted to drop 12k-16k on another "used" car, i might not hesitate to choose that one.

The Mazda5 hatchbacks are nice looking too.

A little murdered out of course, tinted glass, black wheels etc, they're pretty slammin.
A Mazda 5? Do you have young kids?

I was trying to pace a '12 miata the other night... kept up but im pretty sure the old man was toying with me...
If you have a boosted MX, then you could've toyed with the "old" man, instead. 0-60 for the NC is about 6.7 seconds - the same as our Lexus hybrid, heh heh.

Test drove an NB miata. And it felt much better than my mx6. I have a 2nd Gen with lots of suspension goodies. But the miata felt so planted for being totally stock. I just love the feel of the miatas
They ARE about 250-300 lbs lighter; that makes them a bit more "flingable". I like the MS MX5 but have yet to drive one.

#17 · (Edited)
Yes, this is one of my grievances, Cars only ever seem to increase in weight. Often neutralizing any performance gains of the motor, and in some cases exceeding them.

But then again I don't mind 1984 trim levels. That wouldn't sell too many cars these days.

I also hate drive by wire. Most cars that I have driven, it just results in an extra half a second between hitting the gas and something happening. Some cars its worse. The hesitation is variable. You can sort of get used to a fixed hesitation, but when it becomes a lottery its no fun at all.

#19 ·
You want to talk instant power: I'm constantly jolting myself around in my F-150. I was pleasantly surprised at the difference between the 4.6L and 5.4L V8s. Now, obviously, comparing an F-150 with a 5.4L V8 to an MX-6 with a 2.2L I4 isn't exactly fair... ;)

Now, perhaps a better comparison would be my MX-6 to my wife's G3; I hate that car. So small, so underpowered, blah.

#21 ·
I went from a 95 gmc ext cab long bed 4x4 with the 454ci engine to a 91 4 door civic dx... I put a dual exhaust flow master on the gmc and there was no lack of torque in that thing... if I could have afforded the 7mpg I would still be driving that truck today...

Its ok though cause I bought the civic for $240 and blew the tranny then sold it for $200... and now I own the mazda.

If I were to buy a new car id go with the '14 mazda6 or a speed wagon. If it was a newer car speed6 hands down. That being said I also want a truck to go have fun in and a silverado or other gm full size is something I would "need"

#22 ·
I went from a 95 gmc ext cab long bed 4x4 with the 454ci engine to a 91 4 door civic dx... I put a dual exhaust flow master on the gmc and there was no lack of torque in that thing... if I could have afforded the 7mpg I would still be driving that truck today...
I have the same truck. 95 GMC ext cab 7.4L longbed (service body with a hydraulic liftgate even) and i get 11mpg on the hwy. Maybe it's the 2WD that nets me the higher mileage, i think i get around 8~9mpg around town in it.

I keep it reg'd and insured so that when i need it, it's there. But it doesn't operate at all unless needed... it's $3.86/9 per gallon here so i just drive the 1G every single day instead.

My dream car at the moment is a speed3 hatch or a speed6 hatch. IN BLACK. :urg:

#23 ·
Thanks to regular tracking of fuel economy I discovered recently that I've spend almost as much gas in 5 months in my F-150 that I did in two years in the MX-6. Also with a baby on the way a car seat fits better in the back seat of an MX-6 than an extended cab pickup.

#27 ·
He told me, last Sunday when I picked up a spare turbo. I guess it depends on what your hobbies are. If you build vehicles or remodel houses, a truck DOES come in handy. The company for which I work has a truck, so if I need one, I'm sure they'd lend it to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.