Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

96 MX6 won't down into 3rd

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  whiteboysmx6 
#1 ·
hello all, I didn't a specific relevant topic so I hope this isn't a repost. My 96 MX6 standard won't down from 4th into third. Eveything else shifts fine. With the clutch in I can briefly put it second and and upshift into third as a work around if I need to.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
mine does this exact same thing. Even being able to flip it from 2nd is the same.

i've assumed its the 3-4 syncro being bad.. but i dont know transmissions well lol. It is irritating though driving it.

#4 ·
mine does not grind, it just wont move up into 3rd's spot. I can lightly pull it into second, then move like normal into 3rd no problem but thats the only way to downshift to 3rd.

Hopefully OP has the same issue.

#6 ·
Bad synchronizer is correct. Mine are wearing out so I have trouble sometimes up shifting and down shifing in 1st and 2nd (even shifting down into second from 3rd). If I'm not going the right speed or the engine isn't at the right rpm I have to double clutch. All of our gears are in constant mesh and one synchronizer is actually attached to 2 gears.

The center section moves back and fourth. When you hear grinding gears during shifting you are actually hearing the synchros grinding and once the pointed end of the dog teeth are gone you end up not being able to shift unless the center section and teeth are spinning at approximately the same speed and closely aligned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.