Best time to paint car?!?! - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General > 2G MX6 Appearance Mods
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9-6-04, 21:26   #1 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 10 Power: 0

Question Best time to paint car?!?!

Hey everyone, well i found a good place that will change my car color from red to blue for $700 over here in chicago. Now, i was wondering when is the best time to paint a car. Does it affect the paint if i get it painted in the winter, or will it be better in spring, because i still have to save up the money.
PoLiSh6Er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9-6-04, 22:17   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 25 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoLiSh6Er
Hey everyone, well i found a good place that will change my car color from red to blue for $700 over here in chicago. Now, i was wondering when is the best time to paint a car. Does it affect the paint if i get it painted in the winter, or will it be better in spring, because i still have to save up the money.
I say paint it in the summer or close to some warm days because its will cure better. If a paint isnt cured then it will peel or chip easly. One of the reasons why you get a better paint job out of a dealer ship then a paint shop. When the car is painted at the manufacture they use 1600 degree heating or something like that.

-=[BL/\DES]=-
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-6-04, 22:26   #3 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 10 Power: 0

But they told me that with the paint job , they put it in some "oven" to dry.
PoLiSh6Er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-6-04, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 715 Power: 5

Yeah they bake it, shouldnt really matter as long as its not iced and snowing.

boarding with my wiener out
Lambera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-7-04, 1:18   #5 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 231 Power: 0

Id say do it now. Indian summer is coming and we should be ok till october
zijester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-7-04, 1:19   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 94 Power: 5

if your gonna do it over the winter ... try not to bring it out into bad weather ... hopefully u have a garage

ive heard of body work cracking out due to extreme temp changes

ie ... nice warm garage 80 plus for a few weeks, car gets taken out into 32 or below weather

I take two steps forward, then take 4 steps back
My Fulltime Job
Email Me!
iansmx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-7-04, 8:07   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 256 Power: 5

not to sh*t on your plans at all but for 700 bucks you're getting a $700 paint job. Maybe half a layer of clearcoat with more orange peel than....well .... an orange. I've had my car painted twice because of it. unless you know the guy or have seen his work (more than 2 years after painting) you may be paying 1200 bucks again for some other shop to do it right. i do however like the fact that they bake it....so i may be wrong but it is good to check it out
vandejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-7-04, 8:20   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 950 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandejm
not to sh*t on your plans at all but for 700 bucks you're getting a $700 paint job. Maybe half a layer of clearcoat with more orange peel than....well .... an orange. I've had my car painted twice because of it. unless you know the guy or have seen his work (more than 2 years after painting) you may be paying 1200 bucks again for some other shop to do it right. i do however like the fact that they bake it....so i may be wrong but it is good to check it out
Very good advice.

I am sick and tired of people looking for cheap paintjobs and then complaining about the quality. There is a TON of labour involved, and you will only get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincanadian4 View Post
There's a lot of times where it seems he tries to sound smart by stringing together a bunch of words, but it just ends up making no sense and he ends up looking like a [fizzle]face.
Malicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-7-04, 19:19   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

I said it does not matter anymore when you get it painted, today paintshop are all equiped to paint anytime, especailly if there are baking it, you should not have no problem at all, anyway it your choice to get it painted, but for 700.for a change of colour it not much compare to heard with no body done on it ........

EST COAST
LIFE TO RIDE ,RIDE TO LIFE
glimport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-7-04, 22:22   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 137 Power: 5

700? i wonder if this shop is including painting the internals, like door sills, under hood and trunk.
AAlonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement