Best way to paint/dye the dash, plastic, leather? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General > 2G MX6 Appearance Mods
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9-25-08, 17:11   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Best way to paint/dye the dash, plastic, leather?

I need to recolor a lot of the inside of my MX-6, and I want to do it right. I don't mind spending more money or taking more time for something that's going to look professional.

The plastic bits will have to be painted, for sure.

What about the softer material that's on the top of the dashboard? A regular paint would just chip and crack on that.

Anyone have experience with leather/vinyl dyes?
luminaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9-25-08, 17:13   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 41 Power: 5

Go to a automotive paint supply store and buy SEM products. They are the best and have products made for plastics and leather.

1994 MX-6 LS, Black, 5 Speed, tan leather, work in progress.
wbibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-25-08, 18:31   #3 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 715 Power: 5

If you are going to do it right then drop the money on stock black plastic parts and seats, or have the seat redone.

Mine was tan. The paint never lasted. So I did it right.
Lambera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-25-08, 18:44   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 196 Power: 5

you can skim the dash and sand it smooth then paint it and it will be very sexy.

never fear the unknown for it will stay unknown forever.96 klze widebody, to much to list....boost in the works
sethbobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-25-08, 23:41   #5 (permalink)

Well yeah I guess it's only been 11 years since they stopped making the MX-6 I should be able to get the black parts.

Know of any good places to buy them that aren't going to bend my wallet over and cornhole it?
Old 9-26-08, 11:28   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 73 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminaeus View Post
Well yeah I guess it's only been 11 years since they stopped making the MX-6 I should be able to get the black parts.

Know of any good places to buy them that aren't going to bend my wallet over and cornhole it?
Oh they won't cornhole your wallet, they will cornhole your cornhole......

.l..o_0..l.
93 MX6 LS KLZE w/ Interprep valve srpings and DE retainers, SS headers, Cat delete, Pacesetter catback exhaust, 11lb Flywheel, and Vogtland sport springs around KYB GR2 Struts.

Car set for over a year and someone stole the CAI, nice of them. Just replaced very noisy friction gear springs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWeBUmLmAOM . Next project is to program a micro controller to convert GM MAF signal to a 0-7v signal that mimics our VAFs.
nate_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-28-08, 9:12   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 342 Power: 5

Quote:
I need to recolor a lot of the inside of my MX-6, and I want to do it right. I don't mind spending more money or taking more time for something that's going to look professional.

I stopped reading right there. As Stealth said, paint is the worst idea possible. Look for cars that are being parted out on here or on probe talk, check ebay occasionally and ask around. I got my car with a tan cloth interior and it took me 8 months to get all the pieces to change it over to black leather, but now nothing is cracking or fading and it looks stock, which is best case scenario. The dash will be the hardest part if there aren't any junkyards withing 20 minutes of you. Black leather seats are at a PREMIUM, so if you have some extra money spring for racing seats than are much better like some Corbeaus. Since they're cloth, you COULD run cloth with the rest of the interior which would be a lot easier to find than leather.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The man who had nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill
whitenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-28-08, 17:31   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

I would say dont paint it and look for a car thats parted out. You even buy racing seats for the front and buy all the other parting out parts except the 2 front seats. If you REALLY want to paint i have no clue how but i think it wouldnt look as nice compared to if you just bought the parted out interior. Good luck
JonsMX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-28-08, 18:23   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 342 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMX6 View Post
I would say dont paint it and look for a car thats parted out. You even buy racing seats for the front and buy all the other parting out parts except the 2 front seats. If you REALLY want to paint i have no clue how but i think it wouldnt look as nice compared to if you just bought the parted out interior. Good luck
Thanks for the contribution, surprised nobody mentioned that exact same thing before.

oh wait...

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The man who had nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill
whitenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-29-08, 0:29   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenoyz View Post
Thanks for the contribution, surprised nobody mentioned that exact same thing before.

oh wait...
oh my bad i didnt mean to repeat what everybody else said. i just saw your post and gave my honest opinion. Good luck with your decision
JonsMX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-1-08, 16:33   #11 (permalink)

I have used SEM Products on viny, plasstic and leather. It works pretty good. Make sure you use the prep spray.
olds72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-1-08, 22:50   #12 (permalink)
  Total: 139 Power: 5

I'd have to say i disagree with everyone here. I redid my entire dash and paneling with paint/dye...went from tan to black and blue..looks great too...check out the link to "belle" in my sig and go to the "interior" section to see the differance....there are vynil paints out there that can do a great job if your budget is limited...redoing the whole interior cost me about $50 including the Carbon Fiber vynil wrap to do my center console...

EDIT: Pay no attention to the rear seat belts, i had left over paint and didn't know where to spary it so

Elegance Auto Detailing
Your Heart Beats, Mine Rotates!
JoeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-1-08, 23:51   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS-ZE Freak View Post
I'd have to say i disagree with everyone here. I redid my entire dash and paneling with paint/dye...went from tan to black and blue..looks great too...check out the link to "belle" in my sig and go to the "interior" section to see the differance....there are vynil paints out there that can do a great job if your budget is limited...redoing the whole interior cost me about $50 including the Carbon Fiber vynil wrap to do my center console...

EDIT: Pay no attention to the rear seat belts, i had left over paint and didn't know where to spary it so
Looks good
Old 10-2-08, 14:10   #14 (permalink)
  Total: 139 Power: 5

Quote:
Looks good
Thanks. I got all my stuff from Canadian Tire...

Elegance Auto Detailing
Your Heart Beats, Mine Rotates!
JoeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-08, 15:16   #15 (permalink)
  Total: 18 Power: 5

Not to thread jack, but i also have a tan interior that i would to change to black.
FS-ZE.
What brand of paint did you use? it looks amazing
NK1993MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement