HID Lights In Halo Projector Housings - Page 4 - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General > 2G MX6 Appearance Mods
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-12, 2:50   #46 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

ill put up a good comment too...
I used to have the halos back about a year ago... The problem I ran into was that the refective bowl material couldn't handle the heat and melted... I ran both 55W halogen & 35W HID.

HID's are considerably brighter if your OK with waiting 30 seconds for them to heat up.( yeah I know morimotos have instant flash on... -.- )

If there is one recommendation i can give you... If you know your going to stick to using HID s shell out the extra casholies and buy the full morimoto set... Dont waste money buying ebay [shizzle]... Cause youll have to replace it 5 months down the road because they will start flickering annoyingly...

My two cents

J

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Justin L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-12, 18:10   #47 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 2

I heard HID wasn't reccomended as hi beams? Because they take time to warm up?

94 KLDE MX6 MXT - K&N CAI, 67mm TB, Full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust w. all SS Parts, Wrapped Headers, and Test Pipe M2 Lowering Springs, Strut Tower Bar, Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights w. 6000k HID Conversion + Fogs, Smoked OEM Tails, Purple Under/Interior/Engine/Rim/Trunk Glow, 16" Enkei Rims, Custom Lip Kit All Around, 15% Tint, Blue Painted Engine/Calipers, EGR Delete
pigeon853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 18:19   #48 (permalink)

Total: 72 Power: 4

^ True that can be the case. For me I've got my low beam cutoff not too high, that I don't mind the wait for the highs to warm up.

1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
What have I done to it? Stuff... What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html
TwoPedalWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 21:16   #49 (permalink)

Total: 394 Power: 5

all this talk about relays... im not sure why.. i've been talking to ze_power_mx6 pretty heavily on the subject over the last few days and i dont see the need for any extra relays at all if youre just running HIDs on the low beams and high beams halogen. If the stock wiring works with the stock bulb hi/low, why not just run the common ground and each hot wire to their appropriate spot?

94 Mx6 with a big sway bar. 12.86 @ 116 on an FMU...
Built buy Me, ebay and zip ties.
cf_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 23:13   #50 (permalink)

<shakes my head> does no one ever read my espec posting...

cf_z - the main reason I push for the relay is for a couple of reasons.

1) you don't have to mess with the stock wiring.
2) it also CORRECTS the dual bulb system for especs, specs & angel eyes.

When I got my first pair of especs a couple years ago, I didn't even know about the relay option. So I spliced into my existing harness, and created a new harness on the especs. Low beams would work, but not high beams. When you flipped to high beams, the lows would turn off.

Let me answer your question about the stock bulb for North American cars. NA cars are wired for a dual filament bulb - our current headlight circuitry is setup to recognize this. Espec and Jspec do not have the same wiring as ours. Your ideaa about running a ground and a hot wire to their respective spots, iirc will simply bridge them - lighting up hi/low all the time. I tried this setup. So next step was to look at a inline one way power diode & a 1u micro farad capacitor so that power wouldn't bleed. and bah too much work and even though I am damn good with soldering, something could go wrong.

Solution - Relay. One 9004 Relay for each headlight. Plug it into the stock wiring, run a line off the battery if you need more juice (like me if you are running quad HID)

So in the end, the relay harness just takes all the extra work for wiring/soldering/splicing into one tidy package.

We all have our little ways of doing things on our cars. After all the wiring, and hoops I've been through looking for the simplest solution - it works.

cf_z - PM me if you wanna pick my brain on it some more. Always happy to help. Sides your the guy that pointed me to buying especs that many years ago.

Last edited by TwoPedalWarrior; 10-30-12 at 23:27..

Old 11-1-12, 16:15   #51 (permalink)

The halo lights I bought came with a relay for each side that changes it from one bulb hi/lo, to two bulbs, one for hi and one for low. And it has an extra wire to the battery. HID swap should be a piece of cake!

94 KLDE MX6 MXT - K&N CAI, 67mm TB, Full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust w. all SS Parts, Wrapped Headers, and Test Pipe M2 Lowering Springs, Strut Tower Bar, Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights w. 6000k HID Conversion + Fogs, Smoked OEM Tails, Purple Under/Interior/Engine/Rim/Trunk Glow, 16" Enkei Rims, Custom Lip Kit All Around, 15% Tint, Blue Painted Engine/Calipers, EGR Delete
Old 11-9-12, 22:50   #52 (permalink)

Total: 406 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPedalWarrior View Post
Because you are running projectors if you pick 5K - you will get a really nice flicker because of the cut off. The wow factor from the cutoff (like from bmw & audi) again IMO - far outweighs the loss of light i've seen going to 6K.
Bulb color and flicker are two different things actually, bulb color control light output in front of your car, flicker is created by the projector itself (mainly the lens).

That flicker effect is created by the thick color band at the projector cutoff, you are seeing the top color of the band if you are far away from the projector, as you get closer you are cutting into other color within the band and eventually you'll see just the white/yellow light. With 5000k PnP kit in my stock J-Spec, oncoming traffic will only see one color at any angle or distance because the lens doesn't create any color band at the cutoff. On the other hand, my TSX'ed J-Spec shows deep purple from beyond 100ft, then slowly turn into deep blue around 50ft, then light blue then bright white as I get closer to the observer.

J-Spec with 5000k PnP kit, no color band at cutoff.

E55'ed J-Spec , little blue band right at the slope.

TSX'ed J-Spec, color modded, lots of color across the cutoff.

SC430 with spaced E30 clear lens, these are going on the FD.

Some halogen projector is capable of creating color band at the cutoff, but mainly some newer OEM one like the Mazda3 and tC.

1994 MX-6 RS -- RIP 1/30/2012
1996 MX-6 M-Edition
1993 RX-7 Grand Touring
2010 Mazda3 Hatch Grand Touring
ZE Power MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 0:48   #53 (permalink)

My Espec's currently do the colour band @ the cutoff. Nice purple

Old 11-10-12, 8:41   #54 (permalink)

Total: 406 Power: 5

That's cool the E-Spec can create some color. I played with the J-Spec lens a little when I had it out, it is nearly impossible to get any color out of it without destroying the cutoff.

1994 MX-6 RS -- RIP 1/30/2012
1996 MX-6 M-Edition
1993 RX-7 Grand Touring
2010 Mazda3 Hatch Grand Touring
ZE Power MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 21:56   #55 (permalink)

Well its official! I ordered a conversion cable for h7 to HID and it fit! My guess was right and I do have h7 bulbs. I ordered my HID setup for $45 done! 2 conversion cables, 2 ballasts and 2 bulbs! Should be here next week! Will post pix then!

Old 12-7-12, 18:35   #56 (permalink)

HID Conversion Pictures!

Sorry about the wait guys. here are the pictures! 6000k HID Bulbs in Halo Projector Housing. No real Cutt-off. throws light everywhere. is better than halogens tho!

With yellow Halogen High Beams on I believe. *below*

Old 12-7-12, 18:37   #57 (permalink)

i also have videos that i will link to when i have the time to combine all of the clips.

overall very happy with them. payed $45 all done. doing fogs eventually. unsure if yellow(3000k) or blue(6000k).

Old 12-7-12, 19:15   #58 (permalink)
  Total: 43 Power: 3

So i just got a defect notice for having HIDs in my projectors.. Australian regulations are rubbish

Sent from my MB526 using AutoGuide App

2g 626 GE w/ KLZE
Ferramic clutch, BC coilovers, 18" rims
nolethane front end and engine mount bushings
HID conversion
Rhaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-12, 21:16   #59 (permalink)

Well that's terrible dude. We really only get stopped over here in the USA if they are over 8000k or like something stupid ridiculous.

Old 12-24-12, 11:39   #60 (permalink)

New Projectors!

After a halo ring burned out on my lights, I claimed the warranty and got a new pair shipped to me! and surprise surprise, these are the next step up! the headlights fit better into the car, the halo rings are alot brighter, and best of all... the Projectors have a cut-off!! yaay!! no more hot and cold spots!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The light output is crazy. like crazy crazy. i can see for like 300ft and it illuminates a literal 6 lanes of traffic. yes, both sides of a 3 lane highway. All of this without blinding traffic. so happy! HID Fogs next

Sponsored Links
Advertisement