HID Lights In Halo Projector Housings - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General > 2G MX6 Appearance Mods
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-12, 12:27   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 3

HID Lights In Halo Projector Housings

i have Halo Projector Headlights and i want to put HID's in them.

the only problem is that the stock headlights are hi/low bulbs i believe. one bulb with 2 light outputs. but my projector headlights have 2 separate bulbs. one for high and one for low. so how would i rig HID's to that?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

also, would the HID's melt my projector light housing?

94 KLDE MX6 MXT - K&N CAI, 67mm TB, Full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust w. all SS Parts, Wrapped Headers, and Test Pipe M2 Lowering Springs, MazdaSpeed6 Brakes+SS Lines, Front Strut Tower Bar, Subframe Connecting Rails,, Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights w. 6000k HID Conversion + Fogs, Smoked OEM Tails, Purple Under/Interior/Engine/Rim/Trunk Glow, 17" XXR 962 Rims, Custom Lip Kit All Around, 15% Tint, Blue Painted Engine, EGR Delete
pigeon853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-12, 12:58   #2 (permalink)

Total: 72 Power: 5

Hi,

What bulbs are these H7 Or H1? Either way you will need a relay.

Are you just wanting to have HID for the low beam (high are your normal headlights) and ran halogen for your highbeams?

Tell me how you want it done and I will link you the relay on ebay or from the HIDRetrofitresource.

Read my Espec thread - part way through it covers the same thing you are up against. How to wire a dual light system into a 9006 based North America mx6.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...ec-1994-a.html (ESpec HeadLight Installation in ASpec 1994)

Last edited by TwoPedalWarrior; 10-14-12 at 13:25..

1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
What have I done to it? Stuff... What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html
TwoPedalWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 13:09   #3 (permalink)

Total: 39 Power: 4

Theses headlights should have came with a harness, that harness has two bulb plug ins on the end of it. One for High and one for low. If you want hids then the kit you get should plug directly into the bulb plug that you want.

I have these exact headlights and i plugged in HIDs for my low beams and it helped. I am running Xentec 35watt 10k hids and honestly I'd run 55w ddm tuning if I were to swap. If you havent installed the lights yet, you'll need to put the projectors on the inside towards the radiator or cut out part of the radiator support cross member that the light will snag on.

I am starting to get a laundry list of stuff done to my car. Does that make it fast? No! Does that mean i spent too much money on a toy? Maybe. Do i have fun every time i jump in my car and drive? Hell yes.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/garage/1005
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...ld-thread.html
friendsofdonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 15:41   #4 (permalink)

Hey

Friendsondonr is right - they should have come with two relays, for each side.

You need this - 35W HID 9004 9007 Hi Lo Low Bi-Xenon Relay Harness | eBay

Get a pair of them. One for each side.

- you connect on of the plugs to your OEM headlight connector
- One will power your low's and the other will power your high beams
- You run a lead to your battery for each one - no problem. Also you can ground each harness to the two screw holders for the front of the air intake.

PM me if you need help

Old 10-14-12, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 43 Power: 4

Relays are not necessary for 35w and 55w HID systems. Think about it 35w/12 volt = 2.92 amps. Or at 14volt which is more likely = 2.5 amps. A normal 55w halogen headlight draws 4.58 amps at 12v. So no, there is no extra load on the harness to warrant the use of a relay. Your stock wiring is more than adequate. UNLESS you go for a 100w HID kit (don't, it's completely unnecessary unless you are intending to blind every person within a kilometre).
heat is not an issue either, contrary to popular myth. HID uses an electrical arc to create an excited plasma state of xenon gas, The excited gas emits light as it's electrons return to ground state. This process repeats as long as there is a large voltage present (hence the little converter box they come with to produce ~20kV). This process is much more efficient than the traditional halogen principal of heating a filament until it glows. A HID produced LESS heat per watt, and more light per watt (thus the efficiency) than a halogen. While I do not recomment yuo ever hold onto one while it's running, it does produce significantly less heat then a standard bulb. The colour rating is measured in Kelvins, this doesn't mean a 6000K HID bulb is operating at 6000K. It just means that it has the same relative emission spectra as a "black body" (that is, an object with no character absorbtion spectra) would at that temperature.
If yuo need a relay that didn't come with the kit to swtich between hi and low beam, then that's another story, but it should still be able to connect to the hi and low beam leads anyway

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using AutoGuide App

2g 626 GE w/ KLZE
Ferramic clutch, BC coilovers, 18" rims
nolethane front end and engine mount bushings
HID conversion
Rhaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-12, 20:22   #6 (permalink)

Rhaski - for his use a relay is necessary.

let me explain why. You luck folks in Aus, like the UK and Germany of your headlights based on a single filiment design per bulb. Hence your car wiring is setup for such

In North America, the bulbs are dual filament. So our stock one bulb does high and low beam depending on the switch. When you switch to high beam, it activates a second bulb in conjunction with the lowbeam in your projector

Ever wonder why North American cars came with some shizzle lights compared to yours which have the projectors???? This is why.

The whole reason to use the relay is so that it can properly activate the lights. Yes you can power HID balasts off the stock wiring, hell I used to do that. But it requires making new connectors and soldering - the relay harness kills three birds with one stone.

1) properly makes High and low beams work
2) and you can power HID instead of using stock wiring
3) you don't have to mess with stock wiring

When weve done the Espec headlight mod here in North America, most people splice the wiring and, true the low beams work, but not the high beams. When you turn on the high beams, the lows turn off. Again, goes back to the wiring in our North American cars and the bulbs being dual filament.

So and the end of the day, the relay setup is a bonus to allow us to have properly functioning Hi/Low beams. If you want more information, check out my espec install link on the first reply.

Last edited by TwoPedalWarrior; 10-14-12 at 20:27..

Old 10-14-12, 20:50   #7 (permalink)

Hm, well there ya go. had no idea there would be a difference in wiring for headlights. What a PITA. Does that mean they use something like a H4 bulb in the projector then? I may very well be moving to canada in the next year, so I guess I should find this stuff out (I have eery intention of owning another 2G when i get there)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using AutoGuide App

2g 626 GE w/ KLZE
HID conversion
Old 10-14-12, 21:23   #8 (permalink)

Rhaski - All North American MX6's use HB1 - found here OSRAM SYLVANIA 9004/HB1 XV X 1 BULB 65/45W INCREASE VISIBILITY HEADLIGHT HI/LO K | eBay

Also, no projectors are found standard in any MX6 out here. I ended up ordering my headlights from Germany for the proper cutoff for LHD roads out here.

So, Ya great your going to own an MX6, but you will notice your headlights are crap compared to your projectors in your 626.

Where in Canada are you moving? What kind of job?

Old 10-14-12, 22:33   #9 (permalink)

I do already have the lights installed into my car. And they plug into the stock headlight plug and then it goes to a relay and splits into hi/lo beams, each with its own place to plug a bulb into. So do i plug the new relay harness n to replace this one? And the ballasts go there too? Plug and play? Do i have ro worry about the housing melting?

94 KLDE MX6 MXT - K&N CAI, 67mm TB, Full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust w. all SS Parts, Wrapped Headers, and Test Pipe M2 Lowering Springs, MazdaSpeed6 Brakes+SS Lines, Front Strut Tower Bar, Subframe Connecting Rails,, Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights w. 6000k HID Conversion + Fogs, Smoked OEM Tails, Purple Under/Interior/Engine/Rim/Trunk Glow, 17" XXR 962 Rims, Custom Lip Kit All Around, 15% Tint, Blue Painted Engine, EGR Delete
Old 10-14-12, 22:42   #10 (permalink)

Also, do i want a bi-xenon relay harness? I was planning on HID hi beams as well as lo beams. So i just need the harness and the bulbs? Done?

Old 10-14-12, 22:43   #11 (permalink)

Melting No, don't worry

Can you clarify if you are using ONE harness for the two lights, or do you have TWO harnesses - one for each side of the car?

Anyways if you have both, you don't need to buy anything extra

Anyways - hook up the HID kit - make sure you order the right type of bulb - and for Petes' sake don't get anything over 6K. Your light output level will be shizzle. I am running 5K now, 4300 is ideal. 5K keeps things very well light. Anything over you start loosing alot of light output.

Old 10-14-12, 22:49   #12 (permalink)

I have one harness for each side of the car. It plugs in, goes to a relay, then splits to two bulb holders.

So what do i need to buy? Can you give a list?

Old 10-14-12, 23:54   #13 (permalink)

Total: 39 Power: 4

thats all you need to make the highs and lows work on two bulbs rather than one (per side), If you want to run HIDs you'll want to run one set per beam. One for High and one for low. Mine runs h7 bulbs and I have a set of 35w 10k for the low and nothing for the high. I may go with 6k 55w for the lows when I upgrade. If its a plug and play kit you should only have to plug the bulbs into the ballast and the ballast plug directly into the "stock" bulb plug in on the end of your harness.

Edit:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

these should work..

I am starting to get a laundry list of stuff done to my car. Does that make it fast? No! Does that mean i spent too much money on a toy? Maybe. Do i have fun every time i jump in my car and drive? Hell yes.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/garage/1005
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...ld-thread.html
friendsofdonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 8:09   #14 (permalink)

^ what he says -

Old 10-15-12, 8:13   #15 (permalink)

Cheers for that, TwoPedal. Yeh, i'll miss the projectors! I'll be likely moving to Ottawa as I at least know someone there, but it's my intention to see as much of Canada as possible and then work out where to live. I am a chemist, so will be looking for something like that as soon as I can

2g 626 GE w/ KLZE
HID conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement