SC-14 supercharger installed. - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General > 2G MX6 Forced Induction
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5-13-09, 15:37   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 18 Power: 5

SC-14 supercharger installed.

A few other members are trying or have come close to boosting their KL with a Toyota SC-14 supercharger but I think I may be the first to succeed. I tried very hard to make it fit in the AC location but the space between the frame and the engine block is just no enough with the layout of the inlet and outlet on the charger. (Sorry Nate-V8) So I went with plan B and used a shafted setup. I have the charger mounted upside down but it should not matter and I have not encountered any problems. As for the 3 lines that come off the charger that people keep asking about, they are capped off for the time being. Haven't noticed any issues with that yet, but only time will tell.
The drive ratio is very close to what it would be if the charger was in the AC spot. Boost is obviously instantaneous with 5psi, but the interesting thing is that it CLIMBS to 6 psi between 4500 and 5000 RPM. IATs are little on the high side with 140-150 degrees so I may add an FMIC. To compensate for a pressure drop across the IC, upgraded pullies that allow the clutch feature to be retained can be found on Ebay and there is a company in Aus that makes them as well.

Pics.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...0513091625.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...0513091458.jpg

Clears the hood just barely.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...0513091500.jpg
WhiteDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5-13-09, 17:23   #2 (permalink)

Total: 1951 Power: 6

As with any forced induction, a heat exchanger is your best bet. I also wouldn't worry about pressure drop. It's going to be insignificant. Get those IAT's down into the 10-15 degrees above ambient or lower!!

What do you have controlling fuel? Have you thought about a standalone system? What are your AFR's like?

88 626 4WS Turbo Noble White
97 626 LX V6 Timberline Mica
Email me for a turbo rebuild!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-13-09, 18:42   #3 (permalink)

No worries about fueling.. Installed MS nearly a year ago. I just now get to use it for its intended purpose.
Its a semi rough tune right now but A/Fs are in the mid to upper 11s with very conservative timing until I get the IATs under control and find a dyno.
Running an intercooler will be no easy feat though, as space is extremely tight around the charger so running multiple pipes around it is gonna suck monkey balls. Ill figure it out eventually though.
Old 5-13-09, 20:23   #4 (permalink)

Total: 1951 Power: 6

you can always run a water-air intercooler and have a small radiator as your fluid heat exchanger. Remember, you can run flexible water pipes in any direction and there is usually a pump with these kits so pipes for it can get pretty exotic

What does your timing map look like? Care to share a screen shot? I have mine pretty well dialed in and would like to compare notes.

88 626 4WS Turbo Noble White
97 626 LX V6 Timberline Mica
Email me for a turbo rebuild!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-13-09, 21:00   #5 (permalink)

No problemo.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/WhiteDart/Probe%20related/sparkmap.jpg
I pulled a bunch of timing because I could hear some pinging under boost at first, probably due to the high IATs. Im trying to take it very easy on this motor because it has 258,000 miles on it. Got a new one to go in if it pops but I don't want to have to pay the tow bill to get it home.

Edit: Any clue if the air to water intercooler kits on ebay are worth a damn? They seem prettty reasonably priced.
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/image..._3_picture.jpg

Last edited by WhiteDart; 5-14-09 at 11:13..
Old 5-14-09, 16:44   #6 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 10 Power: 0

Yes they are quiet good, my father bought his from them. 2 water cooling radiators + 2 water pumps to one Intercooler usually he gets 3-6 degrees celsius above ambient temp. running 9psi of boost on a V8 5.0L ford with Powerdyne SC + 100% water injection from 0 PSI

I could post you some pics later on when I have time.
copex6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-16-09, 11:53   #7 (permalink)

Wait so he's running an intercooler AND water injection?

I discovered my bypass valve had a leaking seal yesterday so I replaced it and took it out for another drive and now I am consistantly hitting 6 to 6.5 psi. It was in the mid 50s last night with 90% humidity and the highest IATs I saw were 140 degrees. I think I may be getting a bit of belt slippage now at higher RPMs so Ill have to fure out a way to solve that. Charger is holding up GREAT other than that though. As far heat of the unit goes, I can go on a long boost streak and when I stop, I can comfortably hold my hand on the charger with no discomfort.
Old 5-19-09, 21:04   #8 (permalink)
Banned

yes booth.
Old 5-19-09, 21:21   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 17 Power: 5

why dont you just run a water/meth injection? that should lower your intake temps a lot. i'm sure its much cheaper and easier for room than an intercooler too.

JACK.
Mazda_Powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-19-09, 22:49   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Water injection came with the SC kit but timing had to be retarded but my father didn't like his v8 in sluggish mode and decided to set it to factory timing but it was pinging at over 3krpm.

So he decided to cool the air further.

He also wrapped up the Water2Air cooler with fiber glass + VHT high temp ceramic paint to prevent heat soak and the result is 3-6degrees C above ambient for about 2 hours after that the worst it'd only be 9-12degrees C above ambient..

Don't mind the summit sticker LOL all the radiators and pumps were from siliconeintakes.com

dual water coolers

custom made 2inch pulley on Powerdyne silent drive SC

Pink line is the water injection.

Last edited by copex6; 5-19-09 at 22:53..
Old 1-11-13, 19:39   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 3

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but how did you make the shaft for the supercharger relocation?? Or what did you get it from? I am very puzzled and can't seem to find it anywhere.

94 KLDE MX6 MXT - K&N CAI, 67mm TB, Full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust w. all SS Parts, Wrapped Headers, and Test Pipe M2 Lowering Springs, MazdaSpeed6 Brakes+SS Lines, Front Strut Tower Bar, Subframe Connecting Rails,, Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights w. 6000k HID Conversion + Fogs, Smoked OEM Tails, Purple Under/Interior/Engine/Rim/Trunk Glow, 17" XXR 962 Rims, Custom Lip Kit All Around, 15% Tint, Blue Painted Engine, EGR Delete
pigeon853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-14-13, 17:55   #12 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 3

anyone have a reply?

94 KLDE MX6 MXT - K&N CAI, 67mm TB, Full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust w. all SS Parts, Wrapped Headers, and Test Pipe M2 Lowering Springs, MazdaSpeed6 Brakes+SS Lines, Front Strut Tower Bar, Subframe Connecting Rails,, Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights w. 6000k HID Conversion + Fogs, Smoked OEM Tails, Purple Under/Interior/Engine/Rim/Trunk Glow, 17" XXR 962 Rims, Custom Lip Kit All Around, 15% Tint, Blue Painted Engine, EGR Delete
pigeon853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-14-13, 22:05   #13 (permalink)
  Total: 1763 Power: 5

You go to a hardware store and you buy the materials. bearings, tubing, shaft..etc. All of that was custom made.. Alot of probaly done by a machinest (or atleast should have been)

there was a guy making kits many many years ago. your only other option is to find one of his old used kits for sale.. he made very few.

KING6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1-15-13, 14:14   #14 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

King6 , which do you think is easier/ cheaper to do? Super charge or turbo? I'm aware of the performance pros and cons but its rare you see a SC on an mx6.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Justin L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-17-13, 12:08   #15 (permalink)
  Total: 73 Power: 5

You're more likely to find the aftermarket parts for the turbo install. King6 makes a cross member to fit the turbo header and downpipe. If you can find an M60 sc from a mercedes 230c it can be mounted in the same location as the ac compressor, guy did it on PT a while back. Any other sc install requires a shaft setup. Like king said find an old kit for sale or you will have to do or have the work done yourself. You will need an FMU or fuel controller system(megasquirt best option). It can either be fairly simple and relatively cheap(wont last) or more difficult and expensive(will be more reliable).

.l..o_0..l.
93 MX6 LS KLZE w/ Interprep valve srpings and DE retainers, SS headers, Cat delete, Pacesetter catback exhaust, 11lb Flywheel, and Vogtland sport springs around KYB GR2 Struts.

Car set for over a year and someone stole the CAI, nice of them. Just replaced very noisy friction gear springs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWeBUmLmAOM . Next project is to program a micro controller to convert GM MAF signal to a 0-7v signal that mimics our VAFs.
nate_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement