Strange Noise when turning Steering Wheel - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7-21-04, 13:50   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 373 Power: 5

Strange Noise when turning Steering Wheel

Hey there ... Im trying to figure out what the cause of these noises are so that I can fix them ... The one on really not sure about it ... If Im sitting in my car while its running .. and turn the steering wheel back and forth it makes the sound like a finger nail scratching on jeans ... not shrill or loud .. .Its a rubbing like sound ... Just scratch your jeans with your finger nail and thats almost exactly what it sounds like ... Now when the car is moving and Im turning I get this clicking sounds ... not sharp or quick ... like as Im turning the wheel click .....click ... as Im turning it ... It could be more of a popping though ... Similiar to both ... But prolly more of a popping ... Any help woudl be greatly appreciated here ... Thanks !!!

~~ Virtu of Velocity ~~
vir·tu-1. A knowledge or love of for fine objects of art. 2. a work of art of some value.//ve·loc·i·ty-1.Speed of motion; swiftness
*The Virtues These angels bestow blessings, usually in the form of miracles. They are associated with heroes and instill courage, and are known as "The Brilliant or Shining Ones." Among the leaders is said to have been Satanel (before his fall).
Check out the New Forum For:
thefallenangel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7-21-04, 13:58   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 82 Power: 5

sounds like cv's at least when your driving....look behind your tire...see if you see grease all over and inspect the boot wich is rite behind the hub and most likely is black and tore.

Courage is grace under pressure.
jo's mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-21-04, 14:02   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 355 Power: 5

the same thing happens to me ...good call on the scraping jeans thing
(you have to scratch fast!!) :P
esembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-21-04, 14:02   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 22 Power: 5

But if it's doin that while you are just sta nding and not driving....hmmm... have you checked your power steering fluid that could be a prob as well

Man, I miss my MX-6
toofast6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-21-04, 14:03   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 82 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast6
But if it's doin that while you are just sta nding and not driving....hmmm... have you checked your power steering fluid that could be a prob as well
agreed kinda sounds like both

Courage is grace under pressure.
jo's mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-21-04, 15:36   #6 (permalink)

Awesome .. As soon as I get off work Im going to check it all out .. thanks for the help !!

~~ Virtu of Velocity ~~
vir·tu-1. A knowledge or love of for fine objects of art. 2. a work of art of some value.//ve·loc·i·ty-1.Speed of motion; swiftness
*The Virtues These angels bestow blessings, usually in the form of miracles. They are associated with heroes and instill courage, and are known as "The Brilliant or Shining Ones." Among the leaders is said to have been Satanel (before his fall).
Old 7-21-04, 22:17   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 22 Power: 5

no porb...thats what the posts are for ...

Man, I miss my MX-6
toofast6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-21-04, 23:19   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 137 Power: 5

same thing happens to me with the turning. it sounds more like a guitar string when you drag your finger up and down. I think it may have something to do with the leather on the wheel with the other surface moving maybe? But now sometimes my car makes a whistling sound when i twist the steering wheel, so it might just be that it needs new fluid, or hydrolics, lol.
AAlonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-21-04, 23:31   #9 (permalink)

Checked the fluid .. WAY LOW ... I guess that should have been one of the first things I looked at ... But I was thinking rack and pinion and all this major stuff and forgeting the lil stuff ... I just went and got some have to go out in the morning and put it in .. Ill let you know if it takes care of the jean scratching-guitar sting rubbing sounds !! As for the pops Im assuming CVs as well .. I plan on replacing my axles when I put my new tranny in so Ill let that go for now ... Thanks again !!!

~~ Virtu of Velocity ~~
Old 7-22-04, 0:17   #10 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 715 Power: 5

Well the leathery noise it from the power steering I have a leak and thats part of what happens. The poping/clicking noise could be the ball joint.

boarding with my wiener out
Lambera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-22-04, 16:36   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 355 Power: 5

my power steering fluid is full and it still does that! :/

is there a way to drain the power steering fulid?
esembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-22-04, 19:21   #12 (permalink)

Well guys I did it and it didnt stop the jean scratching noise ... What else could it be ??

~~ Virtu of Velocity ~~
Old 7-26-04, 12:28   #13 (permalink)

Any other Ideas on this .. All help is wanted !! Thanks again !!

~~ Virtu of Velocity ~~
Old 7-26-04, 13:54   #14 (permalink)
  Total: 137 Power: 5

im not too concerned about that noise, though it is annoying. but while were on the steering topic, my car sometimes makes a sqealing sound when i turn left on the car, sometimes right. anyone heard of this before?
AAlonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-27-04, 12:32   #15 (permalink)

AAlonzo ... Check your fluid ... And dont hijack my thread !! @- HAHAHA ... Still looking for any ideas as to what would be causing this noise ... Any one have any idea ?

~~ Virtu of Velocity ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement