Auto Transmission problems - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-7-04, 8:33   #1 (permalink)
ericjourney
Tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a phone call when you are unable to speak?

I just bought a 1993 mx6 with 140k (a nice little green one) and the automatic transmission is acting up: the shift from first to second gear happens with a jolt. All other functions, including reverse, seem fine. Any thoughts on how to avoid a $2000 rebuild?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-7-04, 9:04   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 86 Power: 5

automatic gearbox issues

If the oil level in the gearbox is low this can lead to jerky shifts. Also the oil does not last forever and should be changed every 24000 miles or 2 years.

I have an auto and I do sometimes find that first to second does jolt a little even though my fluid is okay.

regards,

ifc

Four Triple Two - 198901 miles on original powertrain.
Last seen standing in line for the crusher.
Forgiven - maybe
Forgotten - not likely
Ian F Chequer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-7-04, 21:44   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 45 Power: 5

does it jerk all the time. Or just at wide open throttle?

Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement!
Spence
buhdda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 13:14   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 47 Power: 5

If the fluid is closer to red than brown and does not smell burned, then get a transmission flush. It may solve your problems, it will probably shift better if there is not any permanent internal damage. I have seen flushes work wonders. However if your tranny is dying, then nothing will help, but is should not hurt if the fluid is as described above. Then install a Magnefine inline filter, size 3/8 on the cooler return (lower One) line to transmission from radiator. www.bulkpart.com or www.emergingent.com also Mobil 1 or other synthetic ATF will make it shift even better.
clutchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-10-05, 13:27   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 68 Power: 5

Just curious if this is true... i heard that if your tranny oil wasn't changed for a very long time then a flush is not recommended because it will loosen all the tiny worn out pieces inside the tranny and might cause it to fail... i have no idea if my transmission oil was replaced or not before i bought the car... my transmission shifts well... sometimes 1st to 2nd is a little rough but it doesnt jerk... should i leave it the way it is or should i replace the oil with lets say a synthetic oil... i also plan on installing a cooler

'94 Black Mazda MX-6 V6 ATX->MTX

Hotshot CAI, 17" BBS rims, Lowering Springs, Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok Spacers, RR-racing Engine Mount Insert, Angel Eyes Headlights, Front & Rear Strut Bars, Lots of LED work.
PILOT_PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-10-05, 13:42   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 47 Power: 5

That occasional rough 1-2 shift is normal in these cars. I would get it flushed. Your tranny sounds like it is okay. Since you do not know the history, also have the pan removed and the factory screen filter replaced and pan magnets cleaned. A bottle of Lubegard is also a good additive. As stated in my post above, get it flushed unless the fluid smells burned and is brown/sludgy looking. Synthetic ATF will make it shift much faster and smoother.
clutchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-10-05, 23:58   #7 (permalink)
HaTECReW

i got my mx6 in november,,. have had the same problem,
only after a while it started doin this weird thing where it slows down a bit before it goes into 3rd (between second and third, revs high like it cant grab onto third)... so with a couple tranny problems i figured i might as well try for a fluid fix...
got the fluid flushed/replaced... (about jan 20th)...
noticed no change at all for the next 4 days, then spun out and crashed my car on the freeway, its now in the body shop and i get it back tomorrow,.. if the problem continues for another month ill consider getting my transmission re-built...
(unless anyone has any better ideas??)
i get these issues EVERY time (rough 1st to 2nd , and slight slowdown from 2nd to 3rd)...
Old 2-11-05, 0:29   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 20 Power: 5

Better idea

The money you spend to do a rebuild can go towards a mtx swap. Imo thats a better idea.

95 hunter green klze
JSPEC 6ERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-11-05, 14:29   #9 (permalink)

i'm still debating whether or not im going to do the atx to mtx swap b/c im gonna take my car to florida at the end of the summer - wouldn't want the atx failing on the way there...

one more issue i just remembered i have with my tranny... It doesnt downshift into 2nd gear. Let's say i'm at 20 mph or around there, my tranny will be in 3rd gear... now normally if u want to accelerate (not floor it, but enough for the transmission to shift down), the transmission would shift to the previous gear which in this case is 2nd... its impossible to do that in my transmission. it will either stay in 3rd or if i add more gas it will shift all the way down to first.

And since my rpms(idle) are usually relatively high(have to fix that sometime), i can feel downshifts when im coming to a stop at which point i feel the tranny shift from 3rd to 2nd to 1st all right before the car comes to a complete stop.

In short, my transmission, once it upshifts to third, will not downshift to 2nd. The only way i can get it back into 2nd is if it downshifts to 1st and upshifts back to 2nd.

Hotshot CAI, 17" BBS rims, Lowering Springs, Outlaw Engineering ThermoBlok Spacers, RR-racing Engine Mount Insert, Angel Eyes Headlights, Front & Rear Strut Bars, Lots of LED work.
Old 2-11-05, 19:03   #10 (permalink)
TheMike

Originally Posted by BURNin'HELL
In short, my transmission, once it upshifts to third, will not downshift to 2nd. The only way i can get it back into 2nd is if it downshifts to 1st and upshifts back to 2nd.
I'm going through the exact same thing with my 94 LS ATX. I still don't know what to do... ideas ideas????
Old 2-11-05, 19:19   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 76 Power: 5

Quote:
Just curious if this is true... i heard that if your tranny oil wasn't changed for a very long time then a flush is not recommended because it will loosen all the tiny worn out pieces inside the tranny and might cause it to fail... i have no idea if my transmission oil was replaced or not before i bought the car... my transmission shifts well... sometimes 1st to 2nd is a little rough but it doesnt jerk... should i leave it the way it is or should i replace the oil with lets say a synthetic oil... i also plan on installing a cooler
yes this is true but VERY OVERSTATED. example one shop Cottman Transmissions said yep dont change it it will ruin your seals and it will die. Then I had my friend ASE certified look at he laughed and changed it, yes it was old and dirty, but the trans has never felt better. Still the hard 1st to 2nd shift at normal speed but smoother at redline and in top gears. Remember guys it's 1st gear that goes in ATX most often.
sakman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-12-05, 12:20   #12 (permalink)

yeah, the tranny shifts harder from 1st when accelerating slowly, but at higher rpms theres times i barely feel the shift from 1st to 2nd...

Im pretty sure i'm gonna do the atx to mtx swap... still debating it

Until then... any insights as to y the hell it doesnt downshift into 2nd???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement