Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

$450 for a timing belt replacement??

807 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jerzyboy 
G
#1 ·
Hi. I had to change the timing belt, so I dropped by a repair shop near school and the guy told me I had to pay $450 for the fix. He told me I needed to get a new head gasket, cuz "no one puts back the old one once it is taken off", a new belt, and a new water pump. I don't know why I would need a new gasket, but this guy tells me that the gasket needs to be removed to take off and put on a timing belt. Is he right? I'm trying to get ripped off minimal. Help me out. I'm driving a 4-cyl 95' mx6. Thanks.

#4 ·
yeah.... my waterpump broke a few months ago and i changed the timing belt so i wouldnt have to pay 2wice as much later on. But the whole head gasket thingie!?!?!... eh... he's a dope!!! Just wait for thick white smoke to come out of your exhaust to change your gasket!!! lol. :)

#6 ·
Fitzysmx6 said:
ya hes trying to screw you, if you find san honest mechanic mine was 75 labor plus parts
75 BUCKS!!!!???? Is that Joes backyard mechanic shop or what? That is insane...450 seems a little high, but it is a ton of work, and most shops charge quite a bit of money to do this properly, it isn't just a quick fix. There was a professional mechanic over on PT that did this on his car, and he knows his engine inside and out, and the absolute fastest he could do it, air tools and all, just the belt, was a little over 2 hours I think. So even if you were being charged 50 bucks an hour, which around here would be a very reasonable rate, your looking at 100 bucks, + parts, and if this job is done properly I think you need, belt, tensioner, waterpump if you want, and some other odds and ends...

It is an expensive repair, but is also fairly important. Phone around, get some quotes, and then go from there...

-Bryce

EDIT: You have a 4 cylinder, this repair is a must, your engine is INTERFERENCE, meaning if your timing belt breaks, your engine is basically toast, I belive you could rebuild it, but that is gonna cost you a whole lot more than 450 bucks...

#9 ·
If you replace all the stuff you should while you're doing a timing belt change, it should be more like $400 just for the parts:

$140 for timing belt kit with new pulleys (which subsequently have new bearings) and timing belt
$140 for Mazda timing belt tensioner arm
$70 water pump
$10 for new bearings for the accesory belt tensioners
$15 for new accesory belts.

If you don't do all of this at once, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass when you have to go back in and redo everything less than a year later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.