Upper Radiator Hose Collapses When Car Cooles Down - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7-25-05, 17:09   #1 (permalink)
JDF
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Upper Radiator Hose Collapses When Car Cools Down

As the title says when my car cools down the radiator hose suctions shut (collapses). However when the car warms up the hose flexes open under pressure and operates fine. I was wondering if this is a common indicator that the hose is failing or if this means that there is a more serious problem.

Thanks for any help guys

Last edited by JDF; 7-25-05 at 22:10..

1995 MX6 LS RR-Racing Inserts, Borla Cat-Back, Kumho 712's, Alpine 9813 Head Unit
JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7-25-05, 17:14   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 97 Power: 5

Hmmm, can't say I've heard of that before. Is there any temperature problems while driving, or idling at a light?

"The great law of impartiality too often obliges us to reveal the imperfections of the uninspired teachers and believers of the gospel; and, to a careless observer, their faults may seem to cast a shade on the faith which they professed." - Edward Gibbon, 1776
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-05, 17:50   #3 (permalink)
JDF

Sometimes on hot days when the car is at a light the temperature will raise from about 55% to 65% according to the needle, however the fan kicks in and the temp falls right away.

1995 MX6 LS RR-Racing Inserts, Borla Cat-Back, Kumho 712's, Alpine 9813 Head Unit
Old 7-25-05, 18:20   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 22 Power: 5

I have a similar problem with my upper rad hose. I changed it but the same thing happens.

No problems to report though...
Kimboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-05, 18:28   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 525 Power: 5

ur radiator cap might need to be replaced. it's supposed to have a vacuum valve in it that opens when the temp drops and suck coolant from the overflow tank. if it doesn't open the coolant will contract and pull a vacuum, causing the hose to collapse.

If my reply is helpful please leave me some karma

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=761672
Running a FASTEST95PGT built megasquirt, great service and support, Jeff's the man.

Illuminas, PGT 16" rims, hood pins, ZE cams, RR front mount insert, ATX-MTX, mx3 flywheel, XTD 6 puck clutch, MSD Blaster 2, Civic STS, Walbro 255lph, ph8A oil filter, Clutched Eaton M62, Nissan 370cc Injectors, MSnS-E, M3 Mirrors
dsr30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-05, 20:29   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 50 Power: 5

^^^

Like he said, you're loosing a lot of coolant somewhere, and it's creating a vaccum in your system.

Are you not overheating?!

Look for puddles of coolant under your car. Then look at the cap. The dealer here wanted 20bux CDN for the cap.

Blue 2003 Toyota Matrix XR 4WD
Black 95 MX6 2.5
無論、成功するための定石などないが、敢えて一つ挙げるとすれば、人生と人 生がもたらすものを、無条件に受容することかもしれぬ。
Nakano_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-05, 22:09   #7 (permalink)
JDF

I'm very certain I'm not losing any coolant as there are no puddles and my reservoir tank is overfilled. This is due to me adding coolant when I first noticed the hose was suctioning closed. I have replaced the upper radiator cap where the upper rad hose connects on the passenger side of the engine. I have not replaced the drivers side radiator cap. So I'm still not yet sure what the problem is and no my car is not overheating. As soon as the car starts to warm up the coolant hose expands under pressure and everything works fine. I'm mainly concerned since I feel the hose will eventually fail under these circumstances.

Old 7-25-05, 22:28   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 331 Power: 5

the hose collapsing means that the hose is [fizzle]ed.. ur hoses should always be a little stiff but as soon as the hose starts to weaken over time and use, the temperature at which the coolant boils will start to lower slightly..

so... replace ur hose

2005 Nissan Frontier 4x4 - daily driver
1999 Honda CRV - fully equipped family hauler w/ child & baby seats

No toys right now
neptune_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-26-05, 14:40   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 525 Power: 5

i'd say it isn't the hose. when learning about chryslers nvld evap system, i was shown a picture of a fuel tanker that was being steam cleaned and the guy sealed it when he got out. when the air inside cooled it made the whole tank collapse and that's a big ass thick metal tank. if that could happen to a metal tank a hose is nothing.

If my reply is helpful please leave me some karma

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=761672
Running a FASTEST95PGT built megasquirt, great service and support, Jeff's the man.

Illuminas, PGT 16" rims, hood pins, ZE cams, RR front mount insert, ATX-MTX, mx3 flywheel, XTD 6 puck clutch, MSD Blaster 2, Civic STS, Walbro 255lph, ph8A oil filter, Clutched Eaton M62, Nissan 370cc Injectors, MSnS-E, M3 Mirrors
dsr30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-26-05, 14:44   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 15 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr30
ur radiator cap might need to be replaced. it's supposed to have a vacuum valve in it that opens when the temp drops and suck coolant from the overflow tank. if it doesn't open the coolant will contract and pull a vacuum, causing the hose to collapse.
this is the exact problem. replace the cap or caps, have them tested first. also a good idea to check your hoses while you are at it.
crazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-27-05, 1:05   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 72 Power: 5

Replace the car on the drivers side plastic tank, not the one on the motor. The one on the drivers side controls flow to and from the overflow, it obviously isnt allowing coolant to be sucked back out of the overflow when the engine cools.

95 RX7 LS1 T56
95 Tahoe Z71
KyleMx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement