Replace starter or solenoid? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-05, 18:38   #1 (permalink)
9XW
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Replace starter or solenoid?

Okay guys, had the new distributor put on last Saturday, now for this weeks issue...

Last night, went to start my car and get nothing but that clicking noise. Accessories worked but the car wouldn't start. Tried to jump start it off a friend's truck and had no luck. Ended up having him push me so I could pop the clutch. That worked and I made it home (about 3 miles away).

Based on research here, it sounds like my starter needs replacing. Connections to my battery look good. I'm searching parts online and I see I can get the whole starter or just the solenoid.

First of all, how difficult is it to replace the starter? I have the air box out and if what I'm looking at is indeed the starter, it looks do-able for me. I just want to make sure I'm messing with the right component.

Secondly, I see I can just buy the solenoid. After replacing the transmission at the beginning of the month and then the distributor last week, I'm strapped for cash. If it's possible to just replace the solenoid for $30, I'd obviously like to go that route. Based on my symptoms, does this sound like it could be the solenoid causing me problems?

9XW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-05, 18:51   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 468 Power: 5

Don't have an exact answer but some info that might help. Is the symptom a super fast clicking or is it just one click and then nothing? If it's super fast clicking it may be that the starter/solenoid are fine but they just aren't getting enough juice to crank the starter over. Try taking your battery to an autozone or something and have them check the output under load. My car had this symptom after I replaced the starter. Lights and everything worked but when under load the battery didn't have enough. Replace battery and bam cranked right over. As far as how difficult a job it is...if you have a mtx it's very easy. My car is the exact same as yours 93ls mtx. Take out the airbox and all there is to remove it is those 3 bolts all 14mm. Once I finally fixed my car I could have it out and in in under 15minutes. So let us know MTX? Super fast or one click?

metros

Pearson's New Dad

Position Filled. Move along boys.

metros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-05, 19:50   #3 (permalink)
9XW

Wow, you've given me some hope!

It's a fast, repetitive clicking and thankfully it IS an MTX (which is why I was able to pop the clutch on it and make it home last night).

I hope you're right!

Old 10-30-05, 0:49   #4 (permalink)
9XW

Metros? You still there?

Old 10-30-05, 1:07   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 334 Power: 5

mate make sure your battery is connected tight (most likely got disconnected when the dizzy was swapped).

.. And failing that it will most likely be the solenoid you can pull the starter out and open it up and try to clean and adjust the contacts.. But in most cases it will only be a temp. fix. .

Throw it away and get another shouldn’t cost 2 much..

If you aren't living on the edge...Your taking up to much space..
Mr. MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-05, 1:16   #6 (permalink)
9XW

Get another solenoid or starter (I assume a new starter includes a solenoid)?

Old 10-30-05, 1:31   #7 (permalink)

You can check your starter with an ohmmeter for continuity. Or indeed put 12 volts directly on to it and see if it rotates. (You will have to remove it from the car and separate the solenoid from the starter to do this..

If it is working then yea just the solenoid..

How the starter works is the solenoid is a magnetic coil that when energized it shoots the drive cog outward to engage the fly wheel on engine.

It also, in the same motion moves a copper set of contacts forward to connect the power to the starter motor..

We can’t get the solenoid on its own in Australia.. Does it only include the solenoid coil?. Because it sounds like it is a contacts problem if it is ticking then the coil is going to be working..

Are you sure your battery is not flat or the clamps loose..?

Can you get hold of a set of jump leads and try to start the car using them..

I’ve heard what you are saying about the fast clicking.. but yea wouldn’t be the first time..

Last edited by Mr. MX6; 10-30-05 at 1:36..

Old 10-30-05, 1:40   #8 (permalink)
9XW

Yeah, pretty sure the connections to the battery are secure, but that will be the first thing I check again in the morning. I did try to jump start it with my friend's Chevy pick-up but the result was the same when I tried to start mine -that fast and repetitive clicking.

I will probably end up taking the battery up to AutoZone and have them test it. That is, if I can find a ride. Otherwise I guess I'll have to push and pop the clutch to get it started again!

Old 10-30-05, 1:45   #9 (permalink)

If it didn’t jump then we can pretty well rule that out..

It is most likely to be a problem within the starter and or solenoid. .

Basically pull it out and strip it apart. And check it out ..

Old 10-30-05, 10:29   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

If it didn’t jump then we can pretty well rule that out..

It is most likely to be a problem within the starter and or solenoid. .

Basically pull it out and strip it apart. And check it out ..
Not necessarily...when my battery went out it wouldn't hold a charge but had enough to power the lights.

Quote:
It's a fast, repetitive clicking and thankfully it IS an MTX (which is why I was able to pop the clutch on it and make it home last night).
Wow I should've picked up on that. Guess I wasn't reading closely enough. I say still try testing the battery. It's best to start with the easiest and cheapest things to replace and yes a new starter comes with the solenoid. Goodluck.

metros

Pearson's New Dad

Old 10-30-05, 17:08   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros
Not necessarily...when my battery went out it wouldn't hold a charge but had enough to power the lights. metros
Yea but if he try’s to jumpstart it from another cars battery and it is the same then, unless the other cars battery is no good(and we know it is good), then it would be a safe bet that his battery is ok ..

Infact to further prove that he could disconnect the other cars battery and jump it from his car… if it starts then his battery is all good..

Old 10-30-05, 17:14   #12 (permalink)

True if he switched his battery with another that would be another way of testing your battery without having to go anywhere.

metros

Pearson's New Dad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement