exhaust smell inside giving me a headache - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 2-1-06, 7:38   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Exclamation exhaust smell inside giving me a headache

Nothing special about my 1993 mx-6 v6.... 170K miles, custom PVC/Ractive shielded filter, empty stock cat converter, standard aftermarket muffler...

I enjoy driving with the empty converter in between annual emission tests, although I've began to notice a strong exhaust smell inside the car while driving. Windows are up, roof closed, ventilation switched to 'fresh' or 'recirculate' - it doesn't matter, still smells bad inside. I know that an unrestricted exhaust flow will produce a stronger smell, that's to be expected. But, inside my car with windows up/roof closed?

My roof is bent a little from an 'incident' when I had to crawl into the car one night when i locked my keys in. It doesn't make a tight seal anymore, and there's constant wind noise from it while driving. Would exhaust fumes get sucked into the car from around the roof while driving/stopping?

I've also removed the drain plug from under the spare tire because I had spilled something in the trunk a few years ago. One tiny hole would'nt cause all this trouble, would it?

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe there's not a tight seal at the converter. Are our cars prone to suck fumes in from under the console at the shifter boot/seal?

It's beginning to give me headaches, and I know something must be done. Swapping the empty converter with my 'good' converter might reduce the amount of exhaust fumes produced, but they'd still enter the cabin somehow.

Anyone else had/solved this problem with their 93-97 mx-6?

jeremy
jeremy93ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2-1-06, 8:57   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 1736 Power: 5

I have exhaust in my car all the time due to an accident a couple/few years ago where some SUV plowed into the rear and totalled my 2g which I had fixed cheap so there's a nice gap between the hatch and the tails.

My resolution is to just keep the vents on blowing in air from the outside. Works great.

Jeff ~ 1995 PGT ZE-T MSnS-E v3 (317whp @ 8.5psi / 275whp @ 5.5psi)
PARTING A LOT OF 2g and 1g STUFF
FS: Borla for sale.
FS: Clear headlight covers, headlight, fog, tail, gauge cluster
90 PGT MTX with 97k original miles!
Fastest95PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-1-06, 9:43   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 69 Power: 5

Right, presurizing the inside of the car should decrees the amount of exhaust sucked in. You may be causing a venturi with the leaking sunroof. The air going across the roof is more than likely sucking air from inside your car causing a slight vacuum. At that point air is sucked into the car thru all the leaks. When My sunroof is tilted up, I can feel the air coming in thru the door, around the speaker, around the window switches...

Bill, 2003 3.5 SE Altima, Black with black leather, headers, full SS exhaust, lowering springs, adjustable shocks / struts, SCAFII, 20" wheels, SER Tail lights, Dual Halos around headlights, HID headlights and driving lights, Maxima Helical LSD.
2010 Maxima SV Prem + Tech package
2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
wpendl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-1-06, 12:15   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 91 Power: 5

what about the gaskets? could have been worn out or so.

Hotshot CAI/Hotshot Headers/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat Converter/Magnaflow Resonator/2.5 Mandrel bend piping/5' round Magnaflow muffler
haiyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-1-06, 13:07   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 35 Power: 5

check your wheel wells mainly the rear ones but check to see if there is any holes from rust etc in behind the tires Im pretty sure if it was comming into the car to the extent of giving you headachs it must be comming from below

Jimma11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-1-06, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 1763 Power: 5

You got an exhaust leak. If its a small one that you cannot hear (due to loud motor or exhaust) Get under your car while running with a thing of windex (or spray bottle full of soap and spray it around the exhaust pipeing, manifolds and flanges to source the leak. you will see it mist and/or bubble where the leak is at.
NOTE: Car must be jacked up, supported by stands, wheels blocked front and rear and in nuetral or park. Have some one help.

Exhaust in the cabin isnt good, it makes the interior smell.. and can kill you if its bad enough.

KING6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2-3-06, 0:11   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 54 Power: 5

Flex pipe, or manifold to Y-Pipe that is my guess, any bets?

93 626, ZE
Break it, fix it, write about it, repeat.
If you can find a bolt on my car that has not been turned, then let me know so I can replace that too!
http://spaces.msn.com/members/swishercutter/
62sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-3-06, 21:07   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Unhappy good ideas

Thanks for the responses, that gives me several places to start this weekend.

I pressed my not-so-even roof panel in to make a tighter seal yesterday on my ride home. At steady speed, my passenger and I *clearly* noticed the fumes when swithching from 'fresh' air to 'recirc'. 10-20 seconds after pressing recirc, we would begin smelling the fumes at the same time (good call, wpendl1)

Hmmm, I bet i've swapped cat converters on my mazda 10 times in the last few years. I replace those crummy gaskets when they look bad, but I've never really been satisfied with the seal they make. I'll bet i've beat that exhaust to death...

jeremy*
(still a little high from those fumes)
jeremy93ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement