Stock exhaust size? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6-7-07, 9:44   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Exclamation Stock exhaust size?

Hey guys I'm new here and I recently aquired a 1993 Mazda Mx-6 I4 LS. And I've done quite a bit of qork on it so far. When I got the car the whole front end had been ripped off in an accident so I had a lot of work replacint the front clip lol. My question is this, what is the stock exhaust size for the non turbo 93 inline 4? The manifold is still in good condition but from the caddy back its history. The car was driven up north so you can imagine the rust on this puppy lol. Im taking off the caddy and gutting it and replacing the exhast pipe back with no muffler, I'm just putting an exhaust tip on. I'm a mechanical engineer so the welding and bending of the tubing isnt a problem but I want to know what kindof tubing to buy before I lift the car up. Thanks
LightBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6-7-07, 11:28   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 260 Power: 5

Three things:

1. A LS comes with a V6, thus you have a RS.
2. The second gens (93-97) never came with a factory installed turbo.
3. Straight exhaust WILL sound like absolute garbage, especially on a four banger. I would be shocked if you made it a month or two w/o a ticket for your exhaust.

Next time do a search (and if you did search and found nothing, make sure to mention it).

If you are a mechanical engineer, why didn't you just measure it in the first place? That would seem like the most reasonable thought (for anyone, more so for an engineer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenJohnny View Post
What's an FD??
gehofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-7-07, 11:37   #3 (permalink)

Well the reason is that I have no way of lifting the car here at my house and at the time being I have no way of getting it off the ground aside from going to a shop. And like I said Im new here and I really dont know much about the car yet. I am a mechanical engineer but you have to realize I work for a fiber dispensing company and have no real knowledge of the matter lol. And why would I get a ticket? As the car is now all of the exhaust is comming out right before the caddy and its loud as hell now. I would just like to do it right, thats why Im asking ^^
Old 6-7-07, 11:44   #4 (permalink)

You will get a fix it ticket for loud exhaust, as I believe there aren't any states that don't have them.

It is supposedly 1 3/4" piping...as seen here (Stock exhaust size?), which was found quickly with the search feature.

If you want to do it right, either use the catalytic converter you have or buy a new one, and get a good OEM type muffler as well. As stated before, straight back exhaust on anything but a V8 muscle car sounds like butt.

Quote:
What's an FD??
Old 6-7-07, 11:50   #5 (permalink)

Thanks. But as far as I know I have been pulled over quite a bit in this car and no one has ever given me a problem or even mentioned my exhaust. I live in an area quite full of import cars with extremly loud exhaust on them and so far I've never seen someone get a ticket for it. Why should I buy a new caddy, we dont have epa checks anymore in florida so is it nessisary?
Old 6-7-07, 11:54   #6 (permalink)

Well, at least use the old one...don't you get tired of the nasty droning sound of the exhaust? A straight back exhaust will sound 10X worse.

Quote:
What's an FD??
Old 6-7-07, 11:57   #7 (permalink)

Well like I said all of the exhaust comes out right below the drivers side and thus I have to drive with the windows down all the time. But as far as the converter goes mine is in bad shape as well as the rest of the exhaust. I dont mean to sound arrogant, I honestly dont know lol. I really dont mind the sound at all. Its kindof relaxing I suppose. But at least having out the back will be a little less noisy.
Old 6-7-07, 12:00   #8 (permalink)

Meh, it's your car.

If the catalytic converter is bad, you can grab it and shake it and it will rattle.

Quote:
What's an FD??
Old 6-7-07, 12:05   #9 (permalink)

It sounds like a rain maker lol. Its shot for sure
Old 6-7-07, 17:55   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 207 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBlade View Post
And like I said Im new here and I really dont know much about the car yet.
then search. you don't find everything out by posting new threads. there is a piont to the search feature on this site. being new isn't an excuse not to search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBlade View Post
Its kindof relaxing I suppose.
obviously the gases are getting into the cabin because there is nothing relaxing about the sound your car would be making. and loud exhausts are rice. especially on a slow little 2.0L. and sound like crap because of small amount of cylinders/valves.

only cars that can get away with sounding really loud, good, and non rice are exotics that have 12 cylinder engines or 5 valve x 8 cylinders and have power to back up the sound.
red_mazda_mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-7-07, 18:20   #11 (permalink)

Guys guys easy on the flaming please =/ I'm not into ricers and I honestly did know about the giant banner saying "Search" at the top >.<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement