1994 Mazda MX6 Door Lock Problem - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5-14-08, 22:17   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 17 Power: 5

1994 Mazda MX6 Door Lock Problem

Hey everyone,

Just bought my first MX6 today and I love it...but it seems to have a problem with the door locks.

I can lock and unlock it from the inside and the passenger door will follow as it should, and I can unlock the passenger door from the outside with my key no problem. But when I try to unlock the drivers door with the key it will turn both ways but will not engage the lock to either lock or unlock it.

Obviously there must be a mechanical problem so if anybody could let me know what to check or what will need to be fixed that would be great.

Thanks!
jmitch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5-15-08, 0:00   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 21 Power: 5
Simon Champion

you can try taking off the door panel to see if the lock mechanism is even hooked up..if it is the lock cylinder might be crap

JollyGreenGiant
JollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-15-08, 8:25   #3 (permalink)

Okay I'll probably have a look at it today..

If the lock mechanism is crap do you have any idea how much a new one would cost? Or if I was to head to the wreckers what cars other than the MX6 have a compatible lock mechanism? (I would assume most small Mazdas?).

Thanks,
Jordan
jmitch62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-15-08, 16:20   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 21 Power: 5
Simon Champion

yes the mx-6, mazda 626, and ford probe are all pretty similar

JollyGreenGiant
JollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-15-08, 23:41   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 20 Power: 5

ya the locks on or cars are junk, i've broken a lot of keys and i'm very gentle with my car. they either get jammed or just break, but i would def. check to see maybe its not hooked up anymore or out of its proper runner thus not working properly

good luck

'93 MX6 ZE Dark Force CAI, lightened Flywheel, 2nd stage clutch, walbro, FPR, and J-spec VAF/ECU

Parting out 1993 ZE Full JSPEC
MaDkAtT44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-15-08, 23:46   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 11 Power: 5

what happens to me in my 1g is if i lock the doors while getting out and close them, the locks just pop back out! so i am guessing if someone walked up to my car bumped the door really hard, they would unlock themselves.

so i have to lock it with the key after i get out and the doors are locked.
endymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-16-08, 0:07   #7 (permalink)

Endymion:
I have a '94 MX-6 and have found that the drivers door locks do wear out in time...faster than the passenger door lock,for obvious reasons. Door locks are not hard to replace nor that expensive, but the best solution really is to take it to a Mazda dealer and let them replace the lock, as they can cut the key to match and you won't need 2 different keys. Once the lock is replaced and working,don't use the key to lock the drivers door.
Instead,close (push in) the upper part of the inside door handle to lock the door,while holding the door open...the alarm light on the dash will light up when you do this.Then hold the outside door handle all the way up and shut the door. Then release the door handle. This will lock the doors without using the key in the drivers side lock,and it will last a lot longer that way. I always lock my doors this way,and the drivers side lock(and the key) have lasted for many years now without needing to be replaced.

Also be careful with the key after usng it for some time...the Mazda key blanks are not as strong as they could be,and repeated twisting of the key when locking and unlocking the door can cause stress cracks to appear in the smallest cross-section of the metal of the key. This can lead to the key snapping off. You want to replace the key if you notice these cracks developing...breaking off the key in the door lock would be bad enough,but you REALLY don't want that key to break off in the IGNITION LOCK!
porker999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-16-08, 0:27   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 103 Power: 5

If you're getting another key, and want a little style... look into the butterfly keys. Mine held up better than the replacments i got at the hardware store
SauerKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-16-08, 11:22   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 20 Power: 5

ya lol mazda keys kinda suck, but porker999 is right that is the best way to go, i think all Gen. of the early mazda's have this lock problem good old solid mazda engineering

'93 MX6 ZE Dark Force CAI, lightened Flywheel, 2nd stage clutch, walbro, FPR, and J-spec VAF/ECU

Parting out 1993 ZE Full JSPEC
MaDkAtT44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-16-08, 15:57   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 103 Power: 5

Easiest solution- Go keyless. Not the cheepest option though ;-)
SauerKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-2-08, 15:30   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

poker999

How much does it cost to have a dealership replace the locks?
I just called a local dealer, and he didn't seem too sure on the pricing, but quote me $145 for the labor/part and another $50 for the recoding (so I can keep using the same key)

I have keyless entry for my car, but something's wrong with the solenoid. I think I might take the door panel off to see if it's just a loose cable or something - or if I need to replace the whole solenoid.
Lil Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-23-08, 10:10   #12 (permalink)

Lil Freek:
It's hard to tell you what it will cost to replace the lock...dealer quotes can vary a lot. The amount you quote isn't too bad considering the cost of the part and the time involved. However,you def. should take off the door panel first and check the cable connections and wiring. if the solenoid has failed,you can replace this yourself,and if that solves the problem,you will not need to replace the lock.
Good luck!
porker999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-25-08, 16:49   #13 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Thats the biggest thing that bugs me about mine. The locks feel all weak like they're not properly connected to the door, and the key has a bit of a twist in it. I'm hoping I can strengthen the locks up instead of replace them.
luminaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-25-08, 18:21   #14 (permalink)
  Total: 267 Power: 5

some people just go get lock cylinders from a junk yard from a 626 or mx6 and they have the pins redone to fit the current key. I took my locks from my parts mx6 which I had a bunch of keys for and swapped them to my current one because the design/cut of my current key was just dumb and it would snap because the cuts were too deep
bmxfuel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement