How To: Replace Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gasket - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3-11-09, 12:28   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 22 Power: 5

How To: Replace Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gasket

I had to do this yesterday and I haven't seen a walk-through here about this. Granted, it's pretty simple, there's always a need for a how-to for some people!!

I had to do this because there was a slow oil leak near my filter, that would cover my filter in oil and drip off of the bottom. At first, I thought it was my OPSU. I replaced that, and it was still there. Next thing to replace: Oil Cooler O-Ring. Part # from Mazda: KL01-14-702A

Tools needed:

1/2" Drive Socket Wrench
30mm Deep-drive Thin-walled Socket (or you can do what I mention below)
5lb Rubber Mallet
Long Needle Nose Pliers

Step 1: Drain all of the oil out of your car, and remove the Oil Filter

Step 2: Remove the 2 coolant lines from the Oil Cooler. Be prepared, a LOT of coolant will start pouring out of the top coolant line. I just bent the hose upwards so the fluid didn't pour out.

Step 3: Remove the large nut where your Oil Filter normally goes. It's a 30mm nut, and you're going to need a thin-walled, deep-drive 30mm socket. Good luck finding one. I ended up buying a 30mm axle nut socket and filed off the top until it fit. It wasn't TOO bad, but it was a PITA.

Step 4: Once you get that nut off, you're going to realize that the 90 degree metal coolant nipple won't come out of that little housing surrounding the oil cooler. You can either remove the 3 bolts holding it to the block and remove the entire assembly, or you can do what I did. With my 5lb Rubber Mallet, i hit the shielding enough so it bent up-wards and allowed me to remove the oil cooler.

Step 5: There is an orange ring at the top of the oil cooler, this is what needs to be replaced. Pop it out, clean off the oil cooler (I used brake cleaner and a shop rag) and replace the o-ring. Coat it with a light coating of oil, just like you would your Oil Filter.

Step 6: Replace. Put the oil cooler back on, tighten up the nut and re-connect the coolant lines. Put your oil filter back on, make sure your drain plug is on tight, then fill with oil. 5qts with ZR-1 filter (WIX #51324) or I think it's 4.6 with normal filter. Check your coolant levels and re-fill if necessary. Start your car up and get back under your car to check for leaks.

For some reason after I finished this, my car started overheating on my test drive. I stopped at a gas station, checked for leaks and there were none. I drove it back home and it was perfectly fine. As well as the rest of the driving I did throughout the day, it never passed 1/2 on the Temperature Gauge. Odd...but whatever.

I didn't take pictures, but it's fairly simple to do without them.

1993 Mazda MX6 LS MTX w/272k

Back to stock! Saving for KLZE
Cryogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-22-13, 12:12   #2 (permalink)

Total: 1951 Power: 6

Since I cannot find any mazda part numbers for the o ring, what exactly did you use for the gasket?

88 626 4WS Turbo Noble White
97 626 LX V6 Timberline Mica
Email me for a turbo rebuild!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-22-13, 19:11   #3 (permalink)

Total: 135 Power: 5

Used oil filter seals have been used with success. I need to do this also.
Oil cooler seal "discovery" - ProbeTalk.com Forums

95LS-ZE ATX The redheaded step child
97LS: Sold, she'll be missed
03 WRB WRX: the daily, Stage 2 Clark tune
95 LS-ZE MTX,LSD, and MAF on its way
Scatman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-22-13, 19:33   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 766 Power: 5

The part number for the O-ring (gasket) is KL01-14-702A. Cost is about $12 from Mazda. But yes, using the gasket off a regular oil filter does seem to work fine.

One tip: I found I didn't need to do step 2 above (remove the coolant lines). It was close, but the oil cooler will just come off with the coolant lines still attached.

Use a 10mm wrench to remove the two (not three) small bolts (yep, that step is a PITA).

Use very light torque when tightening that 30mm nut.
NickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-22-13, 22:22   #5 (permalink)

so is it really a 30mm nut? thanks for the part#

Old 1-23-13, 4:15   #6 (permalink)

I'm not 100% sure it's 30mm, but it sounds right. I found I had an axle nut socket that fit perfectly, probably from doing the axles on a Tercel.

And you need to remove the splash shield as well, because otherwise access is very difficult.

But you don't really need to drain all the oil. You only lose the oil that is going to be lost when you replace the oil filter.

It's not a bad idea to replace the oil pressure switch at the same time, since that tends to leak too, and it's in the same place.
Old 7-16-13, 13:00   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 3

does anyone have a picture of this so called "oil cooler" i cant seem to find one

94 KLDE MX6 MXT - K&N CAI, 67mm TB, Full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust w. all SS Parts, Wrapped Headers, and Test Pipe M2 Lowering Springs, MazdaSpeed6 Brakes+SS Lines, Front Strut Tower Bar, Subframe Connecting Rails,, Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights w. 6000k HID Conversion + Fogs, Smoked OEM Tails, Purple Under/Interior/Engine/Rim/Trunk Glow, 17" XXR 962 Rims, Custom Lip Kit All Around, 15% Tint, Blue Painted Engine, EGR Delete
pigeon853 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7-16-13, 17:24   #8 (permalink)

so called? lol

It's what your coil filter screws onto/into

Old 7-17-13, 12:51   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 4 Power: 0

I think the axle nut on the 2G is size 32mm. Since that 30mm nut is not torqued much, would the 32mm socket work to get it loose if you put a little stuffing inside the socket ?
epxepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-24-13, 2:54   #10 (permalink)

I don't know for sure, but I think a 32mm would work OK. Probably even an adjustable wrench would work.
Old 7-24-13, 8:18   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon853 View Post
does anyone have a picture of this so called "oil cooler" i cant seem to find one
Just google "Ford Probe oil cooler" and it comes up.

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-24-13, 13:54   #12 (permalink)
  Total: 4 Power: 0

It looks pretty simple. The water passes in and out, while the oil goes in and out of the oil filter.

The water pump is pretty simple mechanically too......if it weren't for leaks, they could probably last a very long time.
epxepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-25-13, 11:36   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Just google "Ford Probe oil cooler" and it comes up.
I think I know what he's trying to get at...he things oil cooler and his mind goes all z0mg JdM 0il f00ler with finzzz!!!!

Old 7-30-13, 21:17   #14 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 3

Ok thanks guys. Ive always seen that thing and wondered what it was Haha. So oil cooler, needed/useful for our cars? How about when turbo'd?

94 KLDE MX6 MXT - K&N CAI, 67mm TB, Full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust w. all SS Parts, Wrapped Headers, and Test Pipe M2 Lowering Springs, MazdaSpeed6 Brakes+SS Lines, Front Strut Tower Bar, Subframe Connecting Rails,, Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights w. 6000k HID Conversion + Fogs, Smoked OEM Tails, Purple Under/Interior/Engine/Rim/Trunk Glow, 17" XXR 962 Rims, Custom Lip Kit All Around, 15% Tint, Blue Painted Engine, EGR Delete
pigeon853 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7-31-13, 9:34   #15 (permalink)

indeed it is. Oil is just as essential at keeping the engine cool as water is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement