KF 2.0 to Kl 2.5 engine swap - Page 2 - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5-22-09, 9:09   #16 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Hmmm does anyone know if this engine is OBDII, read on a forum that the jap engines are not OBDII. Would the probinator chip work on my KF brain? Would be commencing the swap weekend. Just gonna try getting the engine starting with the KF brain in the meantime. Just wanted to know if anyone one the forum has done a swap like this : KF to ZE millenia on a 93 ls. Any help i could get would be greatly appreciated.
greendemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6-6-09, 14:43   #17 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 0

I think a probinator would be good tell him you have a millenia ze, and also decide on which manifold and VAF you want to use.

I have a question about the kf thats in your car, how do you tell if its a kfde or a kfze, also what do you plan on doing with the KF computer?

I just did kf swap and i need a ecu and to find out if its a kfde or kfze
nlsolja123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-7-09, 18:14   #18 (permalink)

Well all local mx6s here came with KFZE engines, as for identifying a DE from ZE am not sure. They seem to have a head code similar to the K8. After checking this i was scared that the engine was a 1.8 but i compared it to another local KFZE powered car and they both had the same head codes. Maybe 2.0s came with K8 heads? I could be completely wrong though. Well i will try to post the head code as well as the brain no when i get a chance. As for the KF brain i am planning to chip it. well i am still in the process of trying to see if the KF harness and brain will work for the mill ZE.
Old 6-14-09, 10:14   #19 (permalink)

KFZE head codes : K8 101, K8 1A1 and of course the block is KF
Old 6-15-09, 2:01   #20 (permalink)
  Total: 54 Power: 5

Yeah the heads are most likely K8 ones. They just use a bigger block with the 2.0L, possibly high compression pistons if it's a jap spec one and with high octane fuel and a different ECU, that's where it makes the power.
KLZE 30x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-15-09, 5:41   #21 (permalink)
  Total: 114 Power: 5

let us know if you need an EPROM made up, i can sort you out.

the milenia should use the same KL31/KL36 and JE50 combo as the straight neck ZE.
the wiring should be the same, check out your VAF, let us know if its the JE50 or KL02 or MAF and we can work from there. im assuming it will be KL02.

- 94' PGT MTX - mods & pics
- 06' WRX: 3" exhaust, K&N intake, reflashed ECU
stoker100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-9-09, 16:44   #22 (permalink)

i need a KFze ecu for my kfze,,,, im running like crap and the KF isnt sold in North America so i cant find one anywhere.....

im running a kl ecu at the moment and it sucks and runs rich and the timing is retarded.
nlsolja123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-29-09, 12:02   #23 (permalink)

I managed to get the millenia KL starting on the KFZE brain and harness and also with the KF distributer. Only prob the harness looks like crap with cables stretched all over because of the diff location of the connectors but this can be fixed by extending some of the wires. The KF disty is four pins as opposed to KL's 6. Also 95% of the plugs are the same on the harness with the exception of either the idle control sensor or one of the crank sensors. I can't remember which. None of the external pumps from the Kl would work. The alternator is 3pin as opposed to the KF 2pin and the KL power steering pump also has an extra port so i had to use back all the KF's external pumps. All brackets for the alt and power steering pump will line up directly on the KL's block as well. As for the compressor i ended up using the KF one since i didn't get one on the KL engine so i don't know if there is a diff between the two. The bracket with the coolant temp sensor from the KF had to be swapped on the KL as there was an extra sensor that didn't exist on the KL.
I started the car without the VAF so it idled like crap. Still in the process of making an intake to house the KF VAF. I also need to get a new accelerator cable as the old one doesn't have the length to reach the KL throttle. Any idea on what cable would work there? It's a lot of pressure to get parts for this car here esp for minor things like the acc cable and i def wouldn't get a millenia cable. I was hoping maybe someone went through this already and would have some ideas. Also where can i locate an intake setup for the millenia engine, am guessing i would have to find out if it would house the KF VAF as well. I guess i will be "working up" something in the mean time to get it running. One interesting thing to note, the KFZE engine never had an oxygen sensor. I have the original manifold as well and there is no oxygen sensor plug to be found on the harness as well.
Old 12-31-12, 3:09   #24 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 3

Well i'm about to do the swap from kf01 to klze, im going to purchase the engine later today. What i have discovered is that the local(Trinidad and Tobago) ecu that came with the 2.0kf engines are modified ecus that are "detuned" I recently had my ecu repaired because of blown capacitors etc and the tech told me that.He is accustomed to repairing them and whereas the japan model will have some functionality it is not fully functional. The pinouts differ slightly and most of the time the spedometer tach and hold knob does not work because the original harness is also different by just a few pins. Also as mentioned earlier in the thread the kf engines we got have 3 temperature sensors one for the temp unit in the dashboard one for the radiator fan at low speed and the other at high speed.
krisjoseph_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-16-13, 21:06   #25 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 4

Man im not hating, to do this takes skill and i admire you for the effort..... But why??? you can find a wrecked mx6 for under $1000 and do a little body work, or you can get a great running champ for around $1800, even if you have to jump through hoops to get one its stilll MUUUUUCH easier than doing a swap.

And besides those facts, Your car will never be an LS.
Maaan i hope these cars arent like the old mustangs, where the cars built for the engine it comes with.. iv drivin some very rickety 5.0 swaps with 4 cylinder suspension.
Mx6ownsVtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-14-13, 22:32   #26 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 3

Well got through with the swap in a manner of speaking. After a couple weeks of fidling I decided to use my old external coil, disty and intake with the old ecu and just basically use the engine. It works quite different powerwise from the kf waaaaay more powerful

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
krisjoseph_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-13-13, 7:06   #27 (permalink)

Hy guys... I'm from Europe and sorry for my english
My question is if I put the KF-ZE 2.0L- 119KW heads and intake manifold on
KL-DE 2.5L - 121KW and ECU from KL-ZE 2.5L do I have the KL-ZE 2.5L - 149KW ??
Or not? If someone understand what I'm asking :/
Juice Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-13-13, 15:43   #28 (permalink)
  Total: 766 Power: 5

Juice Garage: I think I understand you. The answer is no.

1. The KLZE block has a higher compression ratio (because of different pistons) than the KLDE block.

2. The KFZE heads and intake manifold are different from the KLZE heads and intake manifold.

3. I think (but I am not 100% sure) it is impossible to make the KFZE heads fit on the KLDE (or KLZE) block. Because the KL block has a bigger bore (wider pistons) than the KF heads. Even if it is possible, I think it will work badly.
NickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-13-13, 17:49   #29 (permalink)

Total: 68 Power: 4

Don't forget about Michael @ Xtreme KLZE Engine Performance for Ford Probe GT, Mazda MX6, Mazda MX3, Mazda 626 and more. He does the whole custom ECU for the ZE and KLG4

1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
What have I done to it? Stuff... What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html
TwoPedalWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement