1992 MX-6 Design development - Page 2 - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-2-12, 10:04   #16 (permalink)
  Total: 16 Power: 5

I wanna know how come the mx6 wasn't real wheel drive? Was it thought about, if so how close was it to being rwd?
whiteboysmx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-2-12, 11:29   #17 (permalink)
  Total: 480 Power: 5

^
Its was RWD, back when it was a 626. Then times changed, and car manufacturers started making them FWD for better gas mileage, cheaper to build, and for better snow traction.

~Patrick~

http://www.pmx626.com/ Your all in one Probe, MX-6, 626 Search engine.
monoxidechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-12, 12:56   #18 (permalink)

Total: 394 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxidechild View Post
and i love how the convertible has the JDM projector headlights and fogs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Nice catch, I didn't even notice that!
AND a jdm hazard switch! all its missing is m edition tails!

i also personally appreciate you sharing these pictures very much. I had no idea that the convertible was actually ever 'in route' to being available. Awesome info!!

94 Mx6 with a big sway bar. 12.86 @ 116 on an FMU...
Built buy Me, ebay and zip ties.
cf_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-12, 13:04   #19 (permalink)

Bye guys looks like I'm going for an older 626 haha soooo kidding
Old 11-2-12, 13:05   #20 (permalink)

I swear monoxidechild knows everything! I've never seen him stumped...
Old 11-5-12, 11:28   #21 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 0

Design Development

In 1986, the trend for Japanese manufacturers was to establish R&D centers in Southern California. The purpose was to hire NA based designers and product planners to assist headquarters in gauging the needs and wants of North American customers. After all, Southern California was the center for progressive trends and a robust import automotive marketplace. The Mazda California design studio was very new at this time with just a handful of Japanese and American employees. Our goal was to create and propose a product vision and portfolio to identify the “right” vehicles for Mazda headquarters to be considering within the competitive USA marketplace. When it came to us competing with our Asian counterparts on various programs involving design and product concept models, we clearly had contrasting viewpoints. Mazda was interested in that.

Our studio had just finished our own self-initiated concepts of the “Light weight sports” (MX-5 Miata) and the MPV minivan (1983-86). The MX-6 was a core model that was primarily geared toward higher sales volumes in the North American marketplace so Mazda headquarters particularly listened to us and our North American viewpoint. The MX-6 competitors of the day were the Toyota Celica and Honda prelude. Our goal was to make the MX-6 a sports coupe that was distinctive against our competitors and captured our new Mazda design flavor and theme.

With the MX-6 program, we competed with our design counterparts in Hiroshima. It was a closed door competition of sorts. We separately made our own full size clay models which resulted in a win for the California team. The competitors of the day, such as the Honda Prelude and Toyota Celica were sport coupes with a particular proportion of a long hood and a short rear deck configuration. We sought to do the opposite, intending a vehicle with a distinctive proportion of a shorter hood and longer tail creating a “cab forward” look. This formula also possessed a more “upscale” elegance in our eyes.

The MX-6 used a very distinctive “broad shoulder” waistline theme. This feature was elemental within our new Mazda design theme direction. (MX-5, 929 and 3rd gen RX-7- all designs that came from our studio with this shoulder theme) The cabin purposefully appeared narrow vs. the wide sporty stance of the body. We wanted to contrast the monocoque cross body section that was the main competitor trend of the day. Our intent was to make a car that appeared smooth and flowing yet appeared distinctively as a specialty Coupe. The roof pillars were thin thus giving the greenhouse an open-airy feeling with superior outward vision. The hood was void of just a simple surface with its subtly sculpted feature lines thus giving a more interesting drivers view over the hood. We also wanted the car to possess a solid and substantial look vs. our competitors.

The Ford probe benefited from the MX-6 architecture. Ford shared most internal components and basic architecture from the MX-6. However, it was Mazda that was responsible for the primary initial layout development. (Note the wide-shoulder theme on the Probe.)

Our R&D facility was not capable to complete a fully feasible model due to limited manpower and resources, so the final pre-production clay model was transferred to Headquarters in Hiroshima Japan for completion. Our team spent a few extended stays there to co-operatively assist in translating the design into global specifications that would be feasible in Asia, Europe and the USA. The whole development process endured for about two years.

I will continue to search for the images from my achieves to show you more on the development of the car. To be continued...
miuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-5-12, 16:55   #22 (permalink)

JDM Headlamps

Quote:
Thank you very much for uploading those pics. Any others you could add im sure will be extremely appreciated by me, and the rest of the forum.

and i love how the convertible has the JDM projector headlights and fogs!
We calculated that the cabrio would have a more upscale client than the coupe. We thought the JDM headlamps were more appropriate for the expectation of the customer.

Of course, our team also proposed these lamps for the coupe but Mazda Japan was very budget minded so we lost that battle early on.

I believe that Europe and Japan ended up with these projector headlamps as a standard feature on al MX-6's. It was a misfortune for us.
Old 11-5-12, 17:11   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
^
Its was RWD, back when it was a 626. Then times changed, and car manufacturers started making them FWD for better gas mileage, cheaper to build, and for better snow traction.
This explanation sums it up perfectly. In these days, front drive was the latest and greatest. Because it was considered a necessity for the 626 sedan to be front wheel drive to be competitive in class, the MX-6 was a natural choice for sharing platforms and engineering. It would have been interesting and desirable to make a RWD proposal. I would have preferred to work with that choice for a idealized proportion.
Old 11-5-12, 17:36   #24 (permalink)

Hell, Honda and Toyota had no idea what they were competing with. I imagine we beat them in every category
Old 11-6-12, 13:00   #25 (permalink)
  Total: 4 Power: 0

i read the point about the MX6 having thin roof pillars.

Here is a recent photo I took of 3 coupes - the MX6, and 2 newer modern cars. I notice the modern cars have the thicker roof pillars.

How do you think the MX6 look would have been with thicker roof pillars in the rear ?

epxepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-7-12, 10:03   #26 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 4

Those are roadsters with hardtops. A bit different than straight up coupes. All that said the MX-6 seems to have a very thin rear pillar compared to even modern day ones.

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 11-7-12 at 10:12..

My Ride: 1996 Mazda MX-6 M Edition
Mazda MX-6/Ford Probe: The Thinking Man's Coupe.

Yes, I have an MX-6 built in Flat Rock, MI and proud of it.
Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-8-12, 2:40   #27 (permalink)
  Total: 28 Power: 3

I was wondering what's the main reason for the delay between European/Japanese MX-6 2nd gens and the American version? This is mainly born out of an annoyance that my MX-6 (Euro) is a '92, but whenever I want to look up stuff on Ebay I need to select a '93 LS (if memory serves correctly)
Mika-MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-12, 18:47   #28 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 4

Thank you for sharing that with the MX-6 community. It's invaluable information that everyone can have archived. Thank you. Got anything similar on the 626?

djdevon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 15:15   #29 (permalink)
  Total: 20 Power: 5

those prototypes are very cool to see!

this isnt really 2gen mx6 specific, but i figure you'd probably have an idea. Ive heard (from guys who have screwed around with mazdas for decades) that the kl was designed in part with porsche. is there any truth to this? .. not that it matters, just curious
97mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 17:01   #30 (permalink)
  Total: 139 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97mx6 View Post
those prototypes are very cool to see!

this isnt really 2gen mx6 specific, but i figure you'd probably have an idea. Ive heard (from guys who have screwed around with mazdas for decades) that the kl was designed in part with porsche. is there any truth to this? .. not that it matters, just curious
I thought it was the 2G brakes that were designed with Porsche.

Elegance Auto Detailing
Your Heart Beats, Mine Rotates!
JoeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement