MTX won't go into gear even when engine is off, - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-9-12, 21:53   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

MTX won't go into gear even when engine is off,

Hello all, I'm posting again to see if I can get some help. I swapped my trans and now I can't get it to shift at all, the shifter will not put it gear. I haven't hooked up the pedal yet or put fluid in the trans. I put the axle shafts in but they just spin around. Please help, any suggestions will help me trouble shoot this.

Thanks Rob
rcvcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-12, 0:57   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 1746 Power: 5

did you pull out both axles out of the trans when you did it? If so, possibly dropped a spider gear..

Pull them back out and check..

Its a matter of if one did fall.. when you get it in gear you junk your trani.

KING6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 9:18   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, KING6 for the quick response. After searching all night long, I think it is the spider gears. I bought the trans online, and it came shipped without anything holding the gears from falling. When I look inside the shaft openings, I don't see any splines that would engage the splines from the axles. Would you see the splines inside the shaft opening like on a atx? There's a gear on either end of the rod inside but nothing nothing else. Should I see four gears.
Old 11-10-12, 15:21   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 20 Power: 5

yeah you should see them. if you spin one axle, when they are both in, and the other doesnt turn in the opposite direction then the gears have dropped.
.. the fact that you cant seen them is enough though, time to take it apart.
97mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 16:28   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 1746 Power: 5

This a representation of splines you should see when ya look inside (not actual trans on our cars)

On both left and right sides.

KING6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 20:59   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 11 Power: 2

I wouldn't even waste my time with trying to re-install the spider gears if it was me. I would just try and look for another good working transmission....and try and see if you could even get a hold of the person/place you got the tranny shipped from and let them have it real good man..because they should of stuck a dowel or something to keep the gears from falling!
klze93419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 22:48   #7 (permalink)

Thanks KING6 for the pictures, that's exactly what I was looking for. And thanks everyone else for the replies. Well I finally came to the conclusion that is was the spider gears that fell during shipping. The amazing thing is that I called the online place where I purchased it from and he gave me a full refund even shipping. He was angry at his guys for not securing the spider gears. He said they always keep a section of axle in to keep that from happening. And I was able to find another one today at the U-pull it yard, and pulled the old one and installed the new one today. I could definitely see the splined gears inside. Well all is going fine and should be done tomorrow. Again without your help and this forum I wouldn't have had the knowledge to argue my case with the online store. I probably would have had to pay to ship it back and wait for another one. Again, Thank you very much.

Rob
Old 11-11-12, 12:39   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 11 Power: 2

man Im so glad to hear that this really worked out for you. So happy for you right now. I know I'd be pissed if something like this would have happened to me for some reason
klze93419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 14:41   #9 (permalink)

OK, now a new problem!! I hooked up everything and now when I connect the battery the headlights come on and it starts to spark. I connected the black Cable with the rubber boot to the starter terminal that does not have the short black ground cable. Connected all three ground wires. One on the pass side motor mount, one on the back of the block next the starter, and one on the top of the tranny. I hooked up all connectors except the small connector that went to the rpm signal on the side of the atx, the round one for the atx solenoid. I cut the plug that went to the range sensor thing allthough it is not orange, it is blk and blue and connected the two biggest wires together. The green, and the blk/blue stripe. Ay ideas what I might have missed. I have not yet hooked up the neutral or reverse switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement