Need help with wiring, still don't understand. - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 17:45 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

Need help with wiring, still don't understand.

Hello everyone,

I'm confused about the wiring with the ATX to MTX swap. I understand that I need to jump wires 6 & 9 on the orange plug, but which side of the plug do I jump? The female or male end? I have searched and read all the post about this yet my brain is acting up right now. I think I clipped the wrong plug, everyone says the connector that goes to the range sensor. I cut that plug off but it is not orange, its blue and black. this is the exact plug that connected to the range sensor on the front top of the ATX. This is why I'm confused. I took some pictures if someone could please help.
Now the other problem is that I have no power to the inside of the car. Only the headlights work.

Last edited by rcvcheetah; 11-11-12 at 19:04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 19:27

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Hi

I found this, below, from this link (hope it helps) - http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-faq-per...-complete.html (How To: Transmission Swap (2.5 v6 ) - Parts 1&2 (complete))

Electrical
-Plug in harnesses in tranny area.
-Plug in vehicle speed sensor.
-Don’t plug in reverse light switch.. To resolve that, use the 2 wires from the reverse light switch, plug into the to the 1 and 4 for continuity( for the harness in the illustraion below)
-Use 2 wires and jump 6 and 9 to trick the comp, so you can start the car.
-2-3 harnesses do not plug into anything, just leave it

The orange harness that looks like this:
------------
|1 2 3 4 5|
|6 7 _ 8 9|
-----------
BOTTOM

Reinstall other stuff:
-Fill up tranny gear oil
-Cruise control, charcoal canister, battery, intake.

Start car and drive!!!
**Remember clutch break in period of 500miles.**

This write-up is copyrighted by Chunchoy14 and M(y)x6gr8ride. Any unauthorized use will be prohibited without the written consent of us. hehe j/k. Just give the credit if you use it.

1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
What have I done to it? Stuff... What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 19:31

And found this

All the wiring harness plugs (in the engine bay) plug in where they used to except for three of them: One large grey/orange one that used to clip onto the shift selector switch, one big black/yellow one that went to the shift solenoids on the front of the tranny, and one little two prong one that went to some little switch on the driver side of the tranny. The rest of them plug in the same way they used to. The cruise control will work fine with no modifications. You need to use the MTX ECU though.

To get the reverse light to work, run the two wires from pin 4 and pin 1 on the big grey/orange plug to the two wires in the white plug that should be on the front or top of the manual transmission. To bypass the neutral safety cutout (so the car will start), solder the wires that go to pin 6 and 9 together. The pin numbers for the grey/orange plug are as follows....

Looking into the FRONT opening of the plug.
---------------
| 5-4-3-2-1 |
---------------
| 9-8---7-6 |
---------------

Someone else listed the numbers on the forums once before, but it was a little confusing cause the diagram shown in their post was if you were looking at the BACK of the plug (where the wires go into it). It took me a while to figure out why my reverse lights didn't work.... its cause I reversed the wires and actually had wires 5 and 2 going to the reverse switch. (oops!)

The reason you shouldnt start the car in gear if you bypass the neutral safety switch is that if you are dumb and dont push the clutch in while you start the car, its gonna start moving while you're cranking it.

Oh and the clutch safety switches both plug in easily... the plugs already exist on the AT harness (I wonder why though?). I dont know whether or not those plugs actually are wired to anything, so the switches might not function anyway.

As for the three plugs that used to go to the automatic shifter in the center console... just let those dangle. The same with that one big black/yellow plug and the little two prong plug in the engine bay... just let those dangle. They wont be needed anymore @-

Sorry to drag this post up from the dead.... i just had to reply with my .02

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 19:53 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, That's the question I have is that the big grey connectors that are orange inside did not plug into the shift selector switch. Do you mean the transmission range selector? That's the one that looks like a big pie shaped piece of plastic that was on the top front of the atx. The connector that plugged into that was the one in the picture that I cut off. Not the big grey one with orange. That plug was always just connected together with the other big grey connector as in the picture.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 19:58 Thread Starter

Is this the shift selector your talking about?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 20:11

Hi - My bad. I didn't read your post right.

Yes - the shift selector is what I was referring too. IIRC, the multiple posts I've read indicate that the ATX computer doesn't need to be hooked for this job.

Sorry, I don't have alot of real knowledge to pull from, I was just googling to see what I could try to find for you.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-12, 20:17 Thread Starter

Thanks, I hate electrical, that's why I'm having such a hard time with this. Well,thanks again hopefully someone can chime in who has done the swap or just knows this topic well. Again, thank you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-12, 14:24

Power: 4

Most of the interior power is run through the ROOM and RADIO fuses. Make sure you are getting power to them. Well, make sure you are getting power to your breakout fuse box anyway.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-12, 21:40 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the help. I found out that for some reason I blew the main fuse under the hood. Replaced it and all is fine now. Trans swap is done and working perfectly. Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda MX-6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page