Driver's side CV Axle replacement issues ('97 2.5L MTX) - Page 2 - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-12, 20:45   #16 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Visited the dealership today, they have ordered another axle and are going to replace the current one. They called the aftermarket company and spoke with them about the issue. The aftermarket company is sending a different axle. They said I got the wrong axle to begin with. Not sure if the error was either on Mazda's end or the aftermarket company, but now I know I'm not crazy at least!

They also mentioned they are having a special tool sent in which is needed to fit the axle into place. I'm not sure what that tool is and how they changed the axle in the first place without it but I'll go along with it.

We'll see how the repair goes this time. Hoping they have both the part and tool in tomorrow so I can get this over with.

A lot of the nonsense explanations about the axle I got previously were from the service manager. Now that she is not there I seem to be having no resistance at all. They are treating this like a dealership should be now.
CA$H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-12, 20:53   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epxepx View Post
I think we need to start a thread on bad experiences with mechanics or shops. It would be interesting reading.
I think this is a good idea. It seems like even many Mazda mechanics haven't had much, if any, experience with MX-6's before. Not that a mechanic who hasn't worked on our car can't service it correctly, but it does help.

A thread with good trusted shops by geographic location could be beneficial too.

I'm just tired of going to a shop and have them talk to me about my car like it belongs in the Smithsonian in regards to getting parts and being able to service it. Especially when that shop is a Mazda dealership!
Old 11-20-12, 22:21   #18 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

I can't believe the bull they're feeding you. There's no special tool required to install a cv axle, I've done it on my driveway a couple of times already, as have many others. I bet the axle was the right one as well...

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 23:28   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
I can't believe the bull they're feeding you. There's no special tool required to install a cv axle, I've done it on my driveway a couple of times already, as have many others. I bet the axle was the right one as well...
Yeah I didn't think so. They did the repair without a "special tool" the first time. At this point, they can tell me they're going to use pixie dust and magic to fix the car as long as it gets done.

I'll be bringing this car in as much as I have to until it is fixed. Even if I have to tell them to put the original part back in which I told them to locate again today. At this point the whole thing is almost comical.

The whole experience has diminished Mazda in my eyes. I won't buy another Mazda in the foreseeable future. Part of that has to do with their current line up. If I want a 2-door, my only choice is a Miata - enough said. But if this was a new car and it was under warranty, this is the type of service I would get? I'm not taking that chance on a high priced purchase such as a car.

I just hope anyone contemplating letting Maple Mazda service their car finds this thread and saves themselves a bunch of time, money and frustration.
Old 11-21-12, 7:47   #20 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

The problem isn't localized to Mazda or this dealer...you'll find this level of ineptitude anywhere you go, even your local garages.

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-12, 11:16   #21 (permalink)
  Total: 4 Power: 0

Ok I started a thread for shop and mechanic stories. Chime in....!
epxepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-12, 19:36   #22 (permalink)

So the dealership ordered an oem part in addition to the different aftermarket part they already ordered. They have not replaced the axle yet. They are figuring they might as well just replace the axle with an oem part because if the new aftermarket axle does the same thing then they have to change it again.

I'm not paying for the $155 difference in cost of the oem axle so we'll see how that goes. I am scheduled to bring the car in Tuesday at noon. Apparently no other mechanic there can work on it but the one that did the original work. Not sure why that is.

No mention of the "special tool" this time

I realize these things can happen at any garage but people go to a dealership and pay more for experience and knowledge regarding their car's brand and model. If this was warranty work, you wouldn't have a choice but to go to the dealership. Corporate Mazda should overlook their service departments better because this isn't acceptable on any level. I'm sure at least half of automotive industry dealerships operate this way but that still doesn't make it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement