Driver's side CV Axle replacement issues ('97 2.5L MTX) - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-12, 16:27   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Driver's side CV Axle replacement issues ('97 2.5L MTX)

Had the driver's side CV axle replaced on my '97 LS by the local Mazda dealership for just under $400. I found out afterwards that the part was non-oem.

Now when I drive there is a vibration between 30-50 km/h and any speed over 90 km/h.

Dealership says it's the right part and that it's doing that because the new part is interacting with older parts. They said if they were to take the axle out now that it would damage the transmission and possibly disable the vehicle leading to more costly repairs. Basically recommending I live with it.

Doesn't seem right to me. Your guys' thoughts on this?
CA$H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-12, 16:58   #2 (permalink)

yeah thats bollux... I would ask them to give you credit for at LEAST half of the cost and go elsewhere. You paid them 400 to fix it. Period.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Justin L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 17:10   #3 (permalink)

Total: 72 Power: 4

Sounds a bit BS on their part. IF the issue is the interaction with the old parts, a competant mechanic would have seen other issues while down there and call you accordingly. Additionally, dealer or shop would take the car out for a small test drive and SHOULD have seen/felt the problem. Sounds like a sh1t mechanic trying to cover his a$$ because he didn't do his job in the first place.

Bottom line you paid for something that didn't get fixed! If that was the case, post the dealerships information on this thread. I'd like to give them a piece of my mind

1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
What have I done to it? Stuff... What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html
TwoPedalWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 19:06   #4 (permalink)

I agree with you guys. Obviously no one test drove the vehicle after it was serviced and I brought that up to the dealership as well.

The vibration gets intense on the highway. When I came back I told them that I feel as if there is a safety issue there. Whether it's the part itself, or connecting parts, vibrations are going to lead to improper wear one way or another. At that point they test drove it (but not on the highway which is literally 2 mins from the dealership) and they then "confirmed" there is no safety issue

I also don't like that they used an aftermarket/generic part. For the $180 w/tax cost of the part itself, I though it was oem. They didn't tell me it was going to be an aftermarket part before hand and they didn't give me the option to choose or even explain the cost difference. When I said that, they told me the oem part would have cost too much. My response was "that's my decision to make, not yours". But lesson learned - it is my fault for assuming given the cost, that the part was oem.

The service manager also said I might want to look at parting out the vehicle. It has 129,000km, been serviced regularly, and been driven 3 winters in total. I hardly think that would be a solution.

The dealership is:

Maple Mazda
110 Autovaughan Drive
Vaughan, Ontario, Canada L6A 4A1
1 (888) 798-0749
Service Manager: Tiffany Garrett

Last edited by CA$H; 11-18-12 at 17:47.. Reason: Typo
Old 11-17-12, 22:55   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 4 Power: 0

How can they say if they take out this axle, the transmission will be damaged?
epxepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 13:31   #6 (permalink)

I just phoned and politely asked if they had any mechanic who knows how to fix mx6's... they said they just had a car come through with a cv axle fix they did it sucessfully and under budget... I then chuckled at them and said that I was a member of the forums and that they should not bend the truth.

gotta say... some people... sheesh...

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Justin L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 14:22   #7 (permalink)

Total: 72 Power: 4

This is an email I just sent the Service Manager Tiffany below - I also cc'ed the Mazda customer support for Canada as well

Hello Tiffany,

I am writing you this email in hopes to clear up a misunderstanding.

I am a member of a Mazda car forum called www.mx6.com and its come to light that there is a member who recently got work done to his MX6. Specifically a CV Axel on his 1997 MX-6.

We are a very large community and like to see our own get looked after. There seems to be some complications that arose from some work done to his car that, if facts are correct, should have been caught or communicated better to your client

I'd like to forward you to the link on the mx6,com site where he has chimed in about his current plight.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...ml#post2402279 (Driver's side CV Axle replacement issues ('97 2.5L MTX))

I've done some research on Maple Mazda, and you seem to have a good reputation. I direct you to this link below.

Maple Mazda

To summarize: The issue that this member is concerned about - the diagnosis when he took it back for review; shouldn't be "new part is interacting with older parts" or " if they were to take the axle out now that it would damage the transmission"

I personally get the bulk of my MX6 work done at a Mazda Dealership here in Victoria BC called Pacific Mazda and am very happy with their reputation and the fact I would not categorize them as a "stealership"

I am sure it is easy for you to go through your computer records and find this client who needs to be properly looked after. Alternatively feel free to join our forum and make a posting related to this. If you wan to reply to me, I would be happy to post your response.

Please note I've also CC'ed Mazda Canada Customer Support on this as well.

--
Cheers
Shawn

1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
What have I done to it? Stuff... What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html
TwoPedalWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 17:52   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epxepx View Post
How can they say if they take out this axle, the transmission will be damaged?
When the service manager said this to me over the phone I said "if that is the case, how did you get the original axle out?" Her response was that older parts tend to come out very easy.

It was at this point that I knew this was going to be a huge ordeal to have this issue rectified.
Old 11-18-12, 18:01   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
I just phoned and politely asked if they had any mechanic who knows how to fix mx6's... they said they just had a car come through with a cv axle fix they did it sucessfully and under budget... I then chuckled at them and said that I was a member of the forums and that they should not bend the truth.

gotta say... some people... sheesh...
Unless someone else brought in a MX-6 with a CV axle needing replacement, then they shouldn't be saying that. I did not give them a budget for the repair.
Old 11-18-12, 18:24   #10 (permalink)

This is going to be even more interesting when I go in tomorrow morning now that they've been called and emailed lol. I appreciate you guys helping me out with this.

I took my vehicle to a trusted mechanic of a family friend. I drove 50 minutes to this garage and spoke to both the mechanic and owner of the garage. They had a look at it and said that the axle is either defective or is the wrong one. They didn't work on it because they advised since I've already paid for the work, to give Mazda the opportunity to fix it. They said that taking the axle out shouldn't damage any parts if done properly.

I will be fair and mention that the dealership has been prompt in my dealings with them. They've shuttled me to and from my home while the car is being serviced. They are nice communicate with. I haven't received any attitude from them and they've generally been accommodating. The service manager said they only invoiced me for the mechanic's actual time and not piece rate. The mechanic showed me my vehicle on the hoist and showed how the axle was installed correctly. He was nice to speak with and offered options for a couple other small leaks he pointed out.

However in this situation I think more should have been done to resolve my issue. The new axle should have been removed and compared to the old axle. I've noticed from the forums that many times the new axle either comes warped or is the wrong size even though the box is labelled correctly. It's also possible that as a non-oem part, it just isn't made correctly or there are variations for my year.

I don't think there is a good chance of having the issue fixed or getting some sort of refund from them. But I will report back tomorrow and let you guys know.

Last edited by CA$H; 11-18-12 at 18:31.. Reason: info
Old 11-19-12, 8:28   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

People have gotten bad axles out of the box before that cause vibrations, that sounds like the issue here as well. I hope they sort it out with minimum fuss.

I get what you say about them putting in a non-oem part without notifying you first. When our MPV was a few months old, we got a crack in the windshield, and I got a quote from the dealer over the phone and it was about $100 more expensive than an auto glass place iirc, so I went with them. I got the van back and went to adjust the rear-view mirror and it came off in my hand. I pushed it back on but it would just keep coming off. I took a closer look at it, and the mirror base on the windshield was smaller than required for my oem rear-view mirror, and not only that, but the installer tried to make up the difference by caulking it in place with the black urethane(?) that they use to install the glass. I was livid...this basically proved that the installer knew there was a problem and tried to pull a fast one. I figured they put in the glass for the lower trim MPV, but when I confronted the service guy, it turns out they put in aftermarket glass. This pissed me off even more!!

Same thing as was told to you, he said oem glass is too expensive and they always put in aftermarket glass. I told him if I wanted aftermarket, I would have gone elsewhere! At the end of the day I paid a little more and got oem glass and the dealer paid the installer to re and re the aftermarket glass for the oem one.

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 11:02   #12 (permalink)

Just got back from the dealership. I have to go back in tomorrrow because the technician that serviced the vehicle is not there today and without him, the person at the service desk can't approve anything.

The service manager has apparently left to go to another dealership so this is another reason why there was no one there to authorize any work today.

I inquired about the oem axle and apparently it costs $299. They said they use this aftermarket company all the time and don't have issues with their parts.

I actually didn't have an issue with my original axle. It was just the boot that was cracked and for $70 more I figured I'd replace the entire thing. Had I known I was getting an aftermarket part, I would have just replaced the boot.

They are also trying to locate the axle they took off for me because I mentioned if we compared the two we'll probably see a difference.

Will report back tomorrow.
Old 11-20-12, 5:37   #13 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

I doubt there's a visual difference, the number of splines are right on both sides and the length is close enough that it fits on the car, the only difference will probably be that one causes vibration and one doesn't, and you can't visually see that difference.

The only solution here is for them to put another axle on there to see if that fixes the problem. I wonder if they did to yours what one shop did to mine, they were removing the axle and it was rusted in place on the knuckle side so much that they had to remove the knuckle and take it to a machine shop and press it off using a 60 ton press. When they gave me the car back, they said the wheel bearing "might" need replacement soon, what they didn't tell me is that they had already mangled it and it was whining now. Needless to say, I didn't go back there to get the wheel bearing done! The point of the story is that once they replace the axle, if there's still an issue, it might be the wheel bearing. That usually whines though, it doesn't usually cause vibration. New axles otoh have been known to cause vibration right out of the box, so that should be the first part replaced.

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 16:28   #14 (permalink)
  Total: 4 Power: 0

I think we need to start a thread on bad experiences with mechanics or shops. It would be interesting reading.
epxepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-12, 17:01   #15 (permalink)
  Total: 16 Power: 5

Start one^ I got a good story to post
whiteboysmx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement