stories on shops and mechanics - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-12, 11:13   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 4 Power: 0

stories on shops and mechanics

This is a thread meant to share stories and experiences with repair shops
and mechanics.

First off, I sympathize a bit with people that work on cars for a living. It is not an easy occupation day after day. A lot of cars have such small spaces to do the repair work.

On the other hand, it is not easy to trust them. They make plenty of mistakes.

I have not had to take my cars to shops much, but here are the stories I have:

- I took the MX6 for 60k service, timing belt, etc. When it was finished and I drove it for a day, it made such a racket I had to go back. I am pretty sure they did not put in the hydraulic tensioner properly. But they volunteered to redo it at no cost. It turned out fine.

- I took the MX6 to replace the front wheel bearings. After picking it up and driving it, it made an incredibly loud whining sound from both wheels. I had to take it back. They said the bearings were bad. Well, maybe one side could have been bad, but very doubtful two could be. I think they just hammered in the bearings themselves without the right equipment. They didn't offer any correction except a small discount on doing the job over.

- I took a Toyota Supra to a dealer for some basic repair. After I picked it up, two days later a major very expensive electrical component failed. I took it back and they didn't have any suggestion. I am almost 100% sure they switched out this electrical component when the car was at the shop. It had nothing to do with the repair work that was done. The service manager seemed very shady.

- I took the MX6 to a Midas shop for a basic inspection. They advised all the struts, all the brake rotors, and brake pads should be replaced for an estimate of $ 1500. Actually the only thing that is needed was front brake rotors.
epxepx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-12, 19:14   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 1746 Power: 5

Everyone makes mistakes. [shizzle] happens. What it comes down to is if they will admit to the mistake and make it right.

Also being on the other side of the counter, Id say there are more Customer horror stories then shop horror stories then anything.

KING6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-12, 21:33   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

I've had a bad run in when it comes to water pumps (distributors also but that's another story) I've been through 5 waterpumps and have only had the car for 13,000 miles or around 3 years. I don't drive much.

Now back to the story, when I was a restless teen with my first car I drove my 6 like I was autox everywhere, I also didn't know how to work on cars but always had a passion for them. I take my 6 into a shop by my house to get the water pump changed since it was leaking. I get it back the next day and see that's its still leaking coolant, and from the water pump once again. They didn't have the gasket on right. I take it back in to get it replaced. They do the job, it starts leaking again like 6 months later and I decide to have my buddy/mechanic work on it this time. He also owns a mx6, a m edition to be exact. He get everything off to change it and one of the waterpump bolts snap off in the block. Oh yay!!! All because the shop before like to tighten everything 100 ft/lbs of torque or bust apparently. So I never went back to them and I reversed the bolt out. (Scary as hell btw) and I decided to take initiative and work on my rides for myself. So I gained that out of the deal hahah
whiteboysmx6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-12, 3:24   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by epxepx View Post

- I took the MX6 to a Midas shop for a basic inspection. They advised all the struts, all the brake rotors, and brake pads should be replaced for an estimate of $ 1500. Actually the only thing that is needed was front brake rotors.
Haha, midas. I go to midas when I want a good laugh, I've never had them quote me under $1000 for anything. Such a rip off, I wonder how they're still in business.

Everyone, if you have time to, take your car to midas for a good laugh as well.
B Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-12, 15:56   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

This past May I tried to get a vinyl roof put on my old caddy. It’s one thing I don’t do, upholstery. The first guy put it on crooked and insisted my car was the culprit. “The car’s roof line is off center” he initially claimed, before changing his story 3 or 4 times. He wanted me to pay him to take if off and make it right….. On to shop #2, they took my car and $, stripped the old roof off, leaving the glue on. They then claimed they were moving their shop... I had to go pick up my unfinished car. Five weeks later after multiple unanswered calls and empty promises I had to threaten to call the cops/sue to get my $ back. Now it’s sitting in my carport with no top. I think I’ll be teaching myself to install it. It’s hard to find people that care about their work and not just $/or how to rob you.
Enigmacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement