Low temp thermostat - Page 3 - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-1-13, 20:18   #31 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubgtr View Post
This thermostat confusion is bothering me.
If you run a lower temp thermostat, the engine will run colder, end of convo.
Sorry to burst your confidence bubble but you're understanding of the thermostat is wrong.

A lower temp thermostat simply opens faster. It does absolutely nothing for an overheating engine. If your engine is overheating the only thing you will accomplish by running a lower temp thermostat is make the engine overheat faster. You have to diagnose the issue first. What is causing the overheat in the first place. Yes a faulty thermostat can be a culprit but so can about 5 other things I can think of off the top of my head.

Both the I4 and V6 thermostat begins to open at 176F-183F and becomes fully open at 203F. By running a lower temp thermostat (170F for example), the engine will warm up faster and in the event of an overheating issue will simply overheat faster.

Conversely, if you run a hotter thermostat you should have more time before overheating as the engine will take longer to warm up but at the risk (depending on the rated temp opening) of damaging components from excessive heat once it enters closed loop operation.

All of this comes down to one thing. If you are overheating then figure out why! Get a proper diagnosis. Trying to bypass the issue with an out-of-spec thermostat is only going to make matters worse and exponentially increase the likelihood that your car will end up in a junkyard. If you need help trying to self-diagnose an overheating issue then please by all means make a topic on the subject. There are plenty of people willing to take a stab in the dark at it but I urge anyone with an overheating issue to seek a professional diagnosis from a local shop. They have the tools, knowledge, and experience to turn a lengthy battle with an overheating car into a quick win. That's my opinion and will leave you with that.

Last edited by djdevon3; 1-1-13 at 20:22..

djdevon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-1-13, 21:10   #32 (permalink)

Total: 121 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubgtr View Post
This thermostat confusion is bothering me.

If you run a lower temp thermostat, the engine will run colder, end of convo.

It makes clear and perfect sense. The engine isnt able to reach a higher temp because cold coolant is coming into the engine more often. If you think the engine will overheat from a lower temp thermostat because the coolant doesnt have enough time to "absorb the heat" from the engine, this is wrong. If you think an engine will overheat from a thermostat that is stuck open, this is also wrong. Dont over complicate something that isnt.
^in an engine that does not have overheating issues due to another failed part or problem. Duh bro.
dubgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-1-13, 21:54   #33 (permalink)
  Total: 33 Power: 5

I agree with the last post. I have ran my cars without thermostat. And no.problems the only difference is that it will take longer to reach operating temps. A hotter upper hose and cool lower hose is either a stuck thermostat or clogged rad. If the pump was bad, the top hose would be cool to the touch. Just remove the stat and run it like that. If it does the same.... it will be the rad.

Sent from my LG-P769 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

92 MX6 LS E-Spec "Candice"--gone!! (and yes '92 2g!!)
93 MX6 LS "Victoria"
93 MX6 Base "Natalia"
93 PGT MTX "Roxanne"--gone...
95 MX6 LS "Tatiana" CAI and Exhaust
2011 Mazda6 "Monique" Bone Stock
MrBerbernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-2-13, 22:59   #34 (permalink)
  Total: 43 Power: 3

Zach. A little physics dude. The radiator loses more heat energy when the water is continuously flowing. Why? Because the longer the water sits there cooling off in tge radiator, the less temperature difference there is between air abd water. The rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the temperature difference between tge two mediums. Essentially, holding the water in there reduces the cooling efficiency of the system. Google thermodynamics and spend a few weeks reading if you want to truly understand it, because i dont have the energy to explain it to anymore detail than that. There's simply too much to talk about with thermodynamics.

Now, please stop posting things that are fundamentally incorrect. Check your facts. It's no coincidence that cooler thermostats are used to run lower engine temps

Sent from my GT-I9305 using AutoGuide App

2g 626 GE w/ KLZE
Ferramic clutch, BC coilovers, 18" rims
nolethane front end and engine mount bushings
HID conversion
Rhaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement